President Ronald Reagan Favored AMNESTY For Illegal Aliens

Discussion in 'Immigration' started by TheChairman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

1984 - Ronald Reagan on Amnesty
    http://thegopleftme.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    In this day and age there are many, especially in the Republican Party, who are firmly against granting amnesty for illegal aliens.

But what they may not know and fail to realize is that one of their own and the darling of the Republican Party that they like to tout as being a good president, was in fact, In Favor Of Amnesty for Illegal aliens! That was Ronald Reagan. He obviously had the good sense and understanding of the fact that those who have come here to better their lives, even though illegal, should be afforded relief through amnesty once they are here. All other Republicans should rethink this and likewise emulate President Reagan's fine stance on this issue.

2. Liquid Reigns

Liquid Reigns Banned

Reagan used it as a political issue attempting to garner the Hispanic vote. He used Jimmy Carters prior reports in an attempt to flip the tables on the Democrats. Later a quote (Reagans US Attorney General Ed Reese) came out about Reagan that stated amnesty was the wrong decision. So while you think you are gloating over something about republicans, the lack of any knowledge of the issue on your part stands out like a sore thumb.

3. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

I think not. No one was holding Reagan's feet to the fire to say what he did that has been very well documented. He made that statement of his own free will that is now a part of history to play again and again and again. If he did not mean it then he was being very disingenuous to the American people and that has to be serious.

4. Liquid Reigns

Liquid Reigns Banned

Doesn't matter what you think. :roll: If you know anything of Reagan, he was about compromise and starting that compromise with portions of agreement and working from there. Its well known that Reagan was known as the great compromiser. He made the statement for political reasons, to attempt to garner the Hispanic vote and to turn the tables on the Democrats.

5. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Is it really wise to add millions more people to the safety nets, which will become less able to afford, and will take away from American citizens? Just how wise is it to add to the number of unemployed when we already have a real jobless rate around 17 per cent?

There have been times in our history where we indeed need immigrants, to man the mills, the factories, but that time is long gone. Immigration is fine when strategically done, but not so fine when you lose control over it.

The people that suffer from illegal immigration, are the working poor and even the middle class. Are they of no importance? Well no, they are not.

Reagan's amnesty was supposed to be a one time deal, and we were supposed to stop it, but of course American business, wanting cheap labor, dangled those carrots, and of course the illegals came by the millions.

We have always had the capability of cutting off illegal immigration, but the republicans would have never went along, for their business constituents would not be happy. You don't have to build a fence, all we had to do was to make the hiring of an illegal a crime punishable by jail time. But business is above the law, and should never be subject to a law such as this. So, that is just the way it is.

Once the MNCs left for communist china, to exploit their poor for cheap labor, the business that could not offshore wanted a piece of that cheap labor pie as well. And they got it, and could still stay here. Who did it hurt, while it helped business? Oh just about every man that has to work for his living, that's all.

The dems never wanted to stop in inflow, for they will benefit as a party, as they see these illegals as future voters. So, neither the dems nor the repubs represent the best interests of the average americans, one is only concerned about their party, themselves, and the other only about their business constituents who donate lots of money.

6. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

What you failed to mention, there was only about two million of them and Congress promised to secure the border and punish employers who hired illegals and NEVER ask to make another group of illegals citizens again. Now were talking of 11-12 million and we aren't talking of securing the border or punishing employers.

7. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Are you willing to hold Congress and the Senate to these words, this promise? They made this statement of their own free will. It's part of history. We have records of them saying it. I bet you don't feel the same of what they said as you do what Reagan said.

Ted Kennedy: 1986 Amnesty

“In 1986 Senator Kennedy said, ‘This amnesty will give citizenship to only 1.1 to 1.3 million illegal aliens. We will secure the borders henceforth. We will never again bring forward another amnesty bill like this."

8. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I've seen this posted over and over by the more lefty posters on this forum, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what the significance of this is supposed to be. What is it supposed to mean in 2014 that Reagan supported an amnesty in 1986?

It was sold as being the final amnesty because the US was supposed to start taking border security seriously. Nothing on the enforcement end ever happened and now we face an illegal population several times the size we had in 1986. It was a massive public policy failure, and yet I think the implication is that because Reagan supported it, Reagan-loving conservatives should support it because....I dunno, Reagan?

So tell me Chairman, what is the significance of Reagan supporting amnesty? It seems like a lesson learned but you may have some other motive that I'm not getting.

9. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Probably because most of your right wing brethren worship at the altar of saint Ronnie, and legitimately think he could do no wrong.

His amnesty though was a direct slap in the face to his core constituency in every aspect. Me? I find it hilarious, especially how his fans do everything in their power to twist and turn and dodge the fact that Ronald Reagan flat out granted amnesty to a few million supposedly EVIL Mexicans.

10. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

You seem to be delusional about a lot of things. Can you point to an example of someone twisting and turning and dodging the fact that Reagan granted amnesty? I don't know anyone who is in denial about that. But you think it's common so let's see some evidence.

And why do you think Mexicans are evil? I mean, you are, I assume, pro amnesty (jsut like Ronald Reagan) so if you think they're "evil" why do you want to import so many of them?

11. onalandline

onalandline Well-Known Member Past Donor

Reagan granted a limited amnesty in exchange for true border security, which still has not happened because of the failure of Congress to act over the years. Not again. No more amnesty. Obama can go f**k himself.