My 2014 CFB Top 10 - Week 8

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NightSwimmer, Oct 19, 2014.

1. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

1. Mississippi State
    2. Florida State
    3. Ole Miss
    4. Alabama
    5. Michigan State
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia
    8. Oregon
    9. TCU
    10. Notre Dame

Also Receiving Consideration:
    Baylor, Ohio State, Kansas State

2. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I do hope that Jimbo buys those refs an extra special Xmas gift this year; they already gave him the one from them.

Oh well, top 4 teams and 3 are from the SEC.................SEC baby.

Anyway, Bama looked like what we expect from Bama but let's see if they can continue that.

It's really too bad that the SEC west teams must face each other and we'll see Oregon slip into the playoff picture.

At this point, FSU will run the table as the ACC has shown itself to be a disappointment.

Sprinkle in a little Auburn and 80% of the top 5 teams are from the SEC west. 100% of the teams are from the south

As a side note, did anyone click on the Will Muskrat post-game interview? Sorry Will, there are no more excuses, it's all on you.

Bama had a pathetic showing against the Hawgs yet still won. The following week, they took on A+M which is a good team, not a great team but a good team, and they dominated them.

That is the difference between a head coach and a wannabe.

3. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Alabama has played better defense in the past two weeks than I've seen them play in the past two years.
    Every voter in the West voted for Oregon this week. They are desperate to get ANY PAC-12 team into the playoff.
    FSU will make the first round of the playoff, unless they puke themselves against an inferior team. Notre Dame was the only legitimate contender that FSU faced this year, and the Irish were quite suspect themselves. Big win for ND over that 4-3 Stanford team though, huh? ;)

4. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

and FSU keeps winning.....

Mississippi state has played 1 elite team (au), and holds wins over LSU (currently 24) and aTm (currently unranked)
    FSU has played 1 elite team (ND), and holds wins over Clemson, (currently 21) and OSU (currently unranked)

yet..... when FSU starts slow against Wake.... but still covers the spread, "FSU struggled early"
    yet..... when teams like Ole Miss play their conference's version of Wake (Tennessee), "Ole Miss started slow, but took control of the game and won big"

shocking how the double standard works..... and by shocking, I mean, #notshocking

but as for the game.... holy crap..... I didn't think about it til later, I should have recorded my "fan reactions" of the final 5 minutes of that game, because it was full of highs (3rd down sack), lows (4th and 20 completion for the first down), VERY LOWS (when ND caught that ball) and VERY HIGHS (when the refs finally recognized what a pick play was and made the right call), then VERY ANXIOUS on the new 4th and goal from the 17, to EXTREME HIGHS when we picked off the ball to win.....

Like how the game ended or not, I lost 5 years off the end of my life thanks to that game, Saturday. Even worse than the Aub game back in January

My criticisms of that game....

1. despite the final pick play penalty.... the amount of bogus calls FSU got was ridiculous. A pass interference on a critical 3rd down play where the defender didn't even touch the the reciever as he jumped the route.......a facemask penalty, on a crucial 3rd down that didn't even touch the facemask....

2. not calling the blatant holding on Notre Dame on that 4th and 20 play

3. not recognizing the pick play on the first touchdown play.

I also realized, had it not been for a blown call against Florida.... UK would have been 6-0 and therefore, would have been ranked in the top 10 last week because....well, because #secbias..... only to show that they are still the same ole Kentucky team they always are in their complete ass whipping they took from an overrated LSU. And had the refs not screwed over UK against UF..... LSU would have been ranked in the top 15 had they beaten a top 10 UK and everyone would be going on and on about how great a team LSU is and thus, elevating even higher, the myth that is Miss. State.

and FSU keeps winning

it's funny, how the Big XII has two loss teams, and the conference is called a weak conference.... but the SEC ranks their 2 loss teams

GA looking good without Gurley.... probably looks better without him.... it's strange... cuz Gurley isn't a bad player at all....

and FSU keeps winning

Bama beats the brakes off a VERY overrated aTm and people are ready to have them vs the winner of the egg bowl in january....

but FSU keeps winning

now, imagine, this scenario.....

GA loses to AU in 2 weeks, but still wins the east and then beats Ole Miss in the SEC championship giving them only 1 loss, ..... why is a 2 loss conference champ from the SEC more deserving than a 2 loss Big xII champ? why is a 2 loss SEC team more deserving of a spot than a 1 loss Oregon, Pac-12 champ, or 1 loss Big X champ Ohio State/Mich State

my top 4 (and I'm done ranking them 1-4), so in no particular order

FSU
    Ms State
    ole miss
    au

just out
    Oregon and Bama

who I think will make it as teams eliminate themselves by playing each other

FSU
    AU
    Oregon
    big x champ/ big xII champ

I think the selection committee is going to take the winners of the conferences only.... leaving the big xII and big x viaing for that last covetted spot.... do you take a 1 loss big x champ or a 2 loss big xII champ......

5. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

oh, and FLORIDA........ lololol

even as an FSU fan just hoping Foley keeps Muschamp for as long as possible.... I am perplexed why he is still keeping him on..... that game Saturday was an embarrassment.... and at homecoming....

only gave up 100 yards total and was down 42-0...... I mean.... they are just falling apart.... I love it.

6. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

Here is where I think is the main issue..... it's not an "SEC thing".... it's a "south thing" everything else is a political game trying to overinflate one particular conference over another.

Vandy - Wake
    Clemson - South Carolina
    NC - Tennessee
    Clemson - LSU
    and so on....

The SEC is definately deeper than the ACC, seems to be about 3 teams deeper this year.

on what planet is aTm a good team? they are the 4th best team in Texas.... and that includes Texas.... aTm beat a very overrated SC in the first game of the season.... and they were crowned as one of the "sec elite". That only served to boost the other sec teams that later beat them (like Miss state and Bama apparently)

7. sec

sec Well-Known Member

He could not even say that it's all on him. Nope, he blamed the athletes. He is the head coach. He chooses the trainers, asst coaches and oversees recruiting.

It's all you Willy boy. Sadly, the alumni, people paying tuition and taxpayers will be swallowing that $3 million salary contract per year for a few years as they wave buh bye to you. The state of FL has crashed and burned

There is now 1 school where the top players want to go.

It used to be that the U could get players along with FSU and UF. Heck, for a couple years USF could get players. UCF was fortunate to get the local boy Bortles who lived down the street.

Muskrat has single handedly ruined a once proud program.

8. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

It will be hilarious if Florida beats FSU in Muschamp's last game as HC.

Stranger things have happened. Ron Zook did it back in 2004.

9. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

I still put the ruining of Florida on Urban Meyers..... He inherited a championship team, he even got Tebow, which hid the fact that the rest of the team was in decline..... When tebow left, it was exposed, Meyer hadn't coached the players behind him and then beat feet out of town.

I still think AD Foley has a date circled on his calendar on his desk that signifies the day he can fire Muschamp..... one of those deals that it may be 3 mil a year if fired before that date, and 500k a year if he fires after that date kind of thing. Firing him now vs December 1 (or whatever that date is) won't make a difference for the team this year.... so why do you want to cost your team more when it doesn't really make a difference at this point.

This is yet another example of what happens when you offer an ironclad contract to a coach after a fluke season. Au did it with Chisk, too....

at least FSU waited until Jimbo proved he could rebuild and maintain, before they offered him big money.... Bama did too.

10. sec

sec Well-Known Member

FSU could play 2nd string and defeat UF

11. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

Next Thursday, @ Louiville... has been the game I have had circled since I first saw the schedule..... It's the trap game, it's on a Thursday (a night we don't play our best), it's away, and Petrino is a great coach (may not be very moral with his adultery, but he had Louisville going the first time he was there, and had Arkansas going, too.) Louisville will become a good team in the ACC even if they aren't quite there just yet.

With that said, I am scared to death of this game....

12. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

but 2004 FSU was not good.... we were on our downward slide at that point and Zook had a team set up that won the title the next season.

2014 FSU is good, and UF isn't set up to win a title next year

but as with any rival... you can't discount them ever.

Danny Kannell said it best on the Mike and Mike show Sunday..... when you're the defending national champs, you get every team's best shot.....

13. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Why? Louisville lost to Virginia. Heck, Vandy would be a good team in the ACC.

14. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

no, vandy would not..... They lost to Temple... almost lost to Charelston Southern.... They would be ranked right by our Wake Forrests.....

But despite the record of Louisville.... and who they lost to, to me, they are a team on the verge of becoming a true contender in the ACC (they are on the same side of the division as Clemson and FSU, too) and I feel, in the national title picture again, like they were the first time Petrino was there. I'm afraid... a way to catapault themselves into that position for next year, is beat FSU this year.....

Hopefully I'm wrong..... but when I heard Petrino was back.... I found when we played them, where we played them, and just all the crap adds up to dangerous for FSU

Thursday game
    after a huge win
    on the road...

I'm just nervous is all.

15. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Louisville is probably a dangerous game for Notre Dame as well. Doesn't take much for a team to be dangerous when you can't play defense.

16. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

lol.... the defense held a top 5 team to 27... and you cry weak defense.... lol

and FSU keeps winning.

I think ND will end up dropping one more somewhere. A good team, but they are probably going to have to fight off a "what's the point, we won't make the playoffs" mentality. Or more cancerous of an attitude... they feel that while their may be a chance they make it.... the risk of heartbreak if they win out and still don't get in so they end up going through the motions.... and someone beats them.

17. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I don't think that anyone besides Notre Dame fans care what happens to Notre Dame.

18. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

Well, for my own selfish purposes... I do.... a ND that ends up losing 6 more games does FSU no good when it comes to playoff time if you have 4, 1 loss SEC teams saying they should be in over undefeated FSU and ESPN flooding the air waves with it trying to influence Condelizza Rice and Tom Osbourne to pick 4 SEC teams.

I am glad Archie Manning dropped out, especially with Ole Miss squarely in the mix of things. I'm not happy it's for health reasons.... but bias is a concern.

Just like if Nebraska was in the hunt
    or if Bowden was on the committee

- - - Updated - - -

and FSU just keeps winning.

19. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

FSU has a clear and easy path to the 2014 playoff. You should worry more about what will happen to them when they get there.

20. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

in theory, you are correct, but you know, as well as I know..... it's never the game that SHOULD beat you that does.... it's the game that sneaks up on you.....

the "NC State" of 2012
    the "VA of 95" (a Thursday night game btw, in a year we were VERY GOOD)
    the "NC State" of 98

FSU has a bunch of them..... and Louisville is potentially that game.

in the playoffs... we may or may not lose. We've proven we can beat playoff worthy teams.... while at the same time, proven that playoff worthy teams can beat us. That's what the playoffs are viewed as by me.... it's season #2. any of the 4 teams that get in, if they string 2 wins in a row.... are the champs, no matter if they are a 2 loss team heading into the playoffs, or undefeated.

I absolutely believe FSU can beat any of the current top 5 teams....
    I also absolutely believe any of the top 5 teams currently, can beat FSU.....

Bama thought OU couldn't beat them last season.... that didn't work out well. One thing I do think FSU knows how to do is win.

21. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Heck, you believe that FSU could beat the Seattle Seahawks.

The 2014 Seminoles are a far cry from what the 2013 Seminoles were. I haven't seen anything from them yet that makes me believe that they could beat any of the top 5 SEC West teams.

22. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

exdcept they beat a top 5 team last saturday.....
    like Bama fans thought they were NFL good after they beat an overrated Mich in Dallas opener a few years ago? lol

You know the difference I see between the two FSU squads.... defense.

Jameis is still putting up numbers, 2nd half... he was unstoppable and doing it without a running game to set up the pass.... but we didn't have a running game last year either....

But our defense is suspect. Losing DC Jeremy Pruett hurt... and I knew it was going to.... Jeremy went to GA. The backstory is his fiance caught him tomahawking an FSU coed and said "if you go back to Tally (after the championship game) I'm leaving you. So he took a job at GA...... like Athens, Ga has less temptation concerning pretty coeds....

but her demand led to him leaving us....

but offense still moves the ball and has proven they can play shootout football long enough for the defense to slow down any offense enough for ours to win the game.

23. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Yeah, I heard the rumors about JP.
    Can't really blame his wife for wanting to get him out of that cesspool.

24. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

except Ga has no fewer temptations running around.

I figure, eventually, he's going to be caught again and she'll leave him..... but by that point, we've already lost Pruett and won't get him back. He'll stay in GA after she leaves him... and we have to search for a DC.

I hear Will Muschamp will looking for a job next year. He may suck as a head coach, but he was a good defensive coordinator... and he and Jimbo Fisher are pretty good friends off the field, even taking family vacations with each other. I would ABSOLUTELY have no issues with having Muschamp on our staff. it would be like Lane Kiffen returning to Tennessee this weekend....

if you get a chance, I know you're a bama fan... look up Tosh.0 Kiffen's Krimson Korner. It's vulgar, but funny, if you're into that kind of humor.

25. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

You can't compare FSU and Ole Miss' schedule. FSU plays 1 tough team their entire schedule. And they should have lost! lol