Is there one political forum with a regular group of posters?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Otiumdignitate, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Otiumdignitate

Otiumdignitate New Member

Hello. I am looking for one thread/forum to participate in. I am used to a single "thread " or sub-forum where a group goes and we can all get to know one another and move on to topics driving the news of the day, etc. Vis a vis ever-changing threads and participants. This forum seems to have a slew of smaller threads and random topics. There's nothing wrong with that , but it seems more difficult to navigate.

My main interest is in discussing US politics , both domestic and foreign affairs and. The Obama presidency.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions, etc.

2. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Welcome to the forums.
    Yes, it may take a bit to find your way around, but once you do, you will love it here.
    Staff and members are always willing to help with any questions you may have.

Enjoy

Shangrila

3. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

If you should find what you describe please post it, assuming that is allowed.

The problem with finding what you specify I've found is that such boards tend to have either a moribund posting rate and/or people come and go at all boards as the vicissitudes of life allow.

That being said, this place is interesting, and welcome to it.

4. Shangrila

5. gregdavidson727

gregdavidson727 New Member

This is the only one I could find. Welcome aboard!

6. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Yeah, this place doesn't really offer what you're looking for.
    Plenty of other places do though.

What you will get a lot of, as you saw here, someone responding to your post without even addressing your questions. ;)

But, as for Aleksander, he is correct (in relation to this forum), that there are too many specific forums here, that any forum under a more general heading wouldn't stay very populated. That's not the case other places, where they don't have a thousand sub-forums, and thus it's easier to converse with the same people on numerous topics.

Although, if you like 50 threads a day from the same 3 people with very strong liberal taints.... you've found the place !

Otherwise, the closest thing (here) to what you're asking is to click the "new posts" and/or "today's posts" at the top of the page, under the Forum tab.
    That lists the threads by "recently posted to", and while not usually up to date, it is close.
    Those links ignore the forum headers, so all threads are mixed in.

That's how I look to see what's being discussed. Not the individual forums.

7. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was on a local board like that and really enjoyed it and got to know a number of people but the board owner could not stand any disagreement with his views and would ban people for life that disagreed with him, which happened to me. I never called people (or him) names but just stated my views and he would call people names and just be generally nasty. A board little Hitler. We tried to convince him to let his son be a moderator but he could not relinquish any control.

8. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Ha! My experience with a similar style board was completely different. It was a positively huge forum first owned by Microsoft and then by the Washington Post and the entirety of this forums system would have fitted inside one of their more active sub-forums. I posted there from 1996 to the place's demise in the summer of 2011. Anyway what people did there was find a category topic and one of its sub forums and then settle down for a lengthy stay because despite the huge traffic you would get to know the regulars and would very definitely form friendships and accumulate bitter and vicious enemies and form alliances and . . . do battle.

It took me some little time to learn how to break the 'respond to an attack with an even more vicious attack in kind' habit once I went to a 'normal' forums system. It wasn't that the old place was unregulated it was just that there was only one moderator (and I kid you not) for thousands of more or less high--strung posters . . . and so it might as well not have been moderated. It was an exhilarating place but PF is far easier on the nerves and here at least one is more likely to actually stay on topic.

Anyway . . . welcome Otiumdignitate.

9. Otiumdignitate

Ok. Thanks for this reply. I'll give it a try. Appreciate it. ;).

As a Reagan conservative with 15 years of political forum posting experience , I am well prepared for the onslaughts by liberals. And the heavy hands of liberal intolerance. :).

10. Otiumdignitate

Ok. Good. My experience was similar (NYTs, CNN ) and I really am rethinking why I wanted to duplicate the most recent forum (a UK site) as it devolved into a cesspool of incoherent nasty. Most the conservatives have been grumbling about leaving for years.

Although our group had a special forum set up by the owner as we were by far the most active forum, I missed a recent MOD WARNING about adoption of zero tolerance for their subjective idea of racist posts.

So.....when I responded to a left-wingers signature line quoting Kevin Phillips sliming the GOP for institutional racism , I supplied a famous, well-sourced and powerful quote from LBJ showing his racism and political calculations underpinning the Great Society and even the 1957 and 1960s Civil Rights legislations , Which got me 30 days in the hole despite using a edited "n-word" technique.

Anyway, getting banned for a contextual and accurate quote of a Us president on a political forum struck me as unacceptable censorship, so, soon after that I committed "suicide by moderator". Lol. And got the permanent boot.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll give a try. This may be better since our group would meander into lots of off topic discussions.

;)

11. Otiumdignitate

Yes. That was our experience when a few of us would look. Since we all ended up at the other place together when a former site closed we instantly had fast flow, etc. But I am not here to focus on this place's negatives, if any. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

12. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Great, welcome aboard. Also be aware of the 'New Activity' tab located just below the large Political Forum.com link. I always use that to see what's the hot posting activity and who's figuratively getting into it with whom.

- - - Updated - - -

Great, welcome aboard. Also be aware of the 'New Activity' tab located just below the large Political Forum.com link. I always use that to see what's the hot posting activity and who's figuratively getting into it with whom.

13. TheElysianFields

TheElysianFields New Member

I'm new today.

Navigating is a bit troublesome.

And..... how many mods keep the place in order?

14. Shangrila

15. TheElysianFields

16. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

If you see multiple threads with large, bolded font in all caps, look away!

Or use the ignore feature.

lol.

17. TheElysianFields

The ignore feature seems to spur certain species of trolls on even more.:cheerleader:

18. Shangrila

Please let us focus on greeting new members. Thanks

19. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

I know what you mean, but I've found myself approaching this forum differently. Rather than focus on a single subforum like I might do elsewhere, I tend to look at the main page's topics and go by that. As a bonus for you if you do this, the most relevant topics to your expressed interest are at the top of the list.

It's also very easy to get back there since the logo at the top contains a link to it.