Are L.A. School Cops 'Protecting the Children' With Grenade Launchers?

Discussion in 'Security & Defenses' started by Arphen, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Arphen

Arphen Banned

The mission of the Los Angeles School Police Department is "protecting the children" and "providing a safe and tranquil environment in which the educational process can take place." That doesn't seem to overlap much with the mission of the 1033 Program – the Defense Department's (DoD) way of selling off excess military gear – which places a "special emphasis" on providing weapons to domestic law enforcement agencies to engage in "counter-drug and counter-terrorism" activity.
    But, hey, how could the the Los Angeles School Police Department turn down a grenade launcher … or three
    MuckRock, an organization that specializes in freedom of information requests, has been diligently building a database of police militarization information, and highlighted L.A.'s new toys in a blog post on Monday
    Grenade launchers given to schools are typically converted to fire less-than-lethal rounds
    The L.A. school cops also have a mine-resistant ambush protected vehicle (MRAP), a piece of equipment that often weighs upwards of 14 tons and was designed to fight asymmetrical warfare against Iraqi insurgents, not provide backup during study period patrol. Los Angeles school officers also have 61 M-16 rifles, presumably to prevent food fights from breaking out. The MRAP is worth $733,000 and each rifle is worth $499, but the DoD gives equipment away for the price of shipping...

Read more

What a hell? For what?
    They are supposed to serve the people not the government. Public servants isn't that what they call themselves. It don't look that way from here anymore. It looks like the police are getting ready to protect the rich, lawless politicians and business multimillionaires from the real citizens and those the politicians, business executives and rich have stolen the future. I do understand that police need the power to protect themselves and innocent citizens from harm and tyranny but how much is enough. Having that much power can only lead to disaster. How does the saying go - power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The more power concentrated in the hands of a few the more chance for corruption at the expense of the many

2. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

I doubt they do, but they are an arm of the LAPD, and I have no doubt will be more than willing to loan out heavy artillery to the LAPD for its broader mission if or when they need some of this for riot control. or neighborhoods with heavily armed gang infested areas. Its free, the grenda launcher is fitted for tear gas and the armored vehicle breaks down man made barriers including Molotov cocktails or explosive devices we can all learn to make with a google click or two. As for the high powered rifles, considering what is available out there for either through the internet or across the border for drug cartels, its not that much over-kill.

Its funny that the NRA insists that every citizen have the right to arm themselves for guerrilla urban or rural warfare, yet we get concerned when big city police depts have to keep up with the new militarized Joneses .

3. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

One logical reason why all of this is going on is that the gov't knows we will implode, economically in the near future and are getting ready for it. That makes more sense than other reasons that are given.

I think many people understand our economic model which is not serving our majority, but just the few, will implode, and societal breakdown always happens with this. FDR is said to have saved capitalism once, but no one is of the FDR caliber these days, as our rulers are a part of this oligarchy that has given us the implosion.

The only question is what event will be the catalyst for the implosion. In order to protect the rulers and the oligarchs from something like the French Revolution, the oligarchy is in preparation to protect itself. People, many people intuit this, have a feeling about it, and IMO, it is inevitable. And this is what always happens when wealth, thus power is concentrated in the hands of a very few people. With all concentration of wealth comes societal collapse, for the act of that concentration starves out others. And like past humans, we will react violently, and so we need a militarized police force.

stjames1_53 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Except that the Joneses don't have grenade launchers or MRAPs.

5. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

Well wait a few more months until the tea party has a majority of the Senate.

6. smevins

smevins New Member

one could build an armor technical I suppose, though armor is domestically available. Nonetheless, one of our high schools was built during the cold war days and was designed to be a fall out shelter. It has some old doors in the basement you are not going to breach easily with a battering ram (though if you fired an rpg into them you would probably pay a pretty heavy price yourself because of the location would put you in underground concrete halls with no windows.

7. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Hyperbole much? And I guess Obama would sign on to that, right, since they wouldn't be able to override a veto?

8. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

$499 for a M16. I will take ten.

9. galant

galant Banned

i"ll take as many as they've give me at that price and I"ll borrow the money to do so! Since they will each easily bring $5000 on today's (restricted) full auto market. :) Cops should all be restricted to using 6 shot revolvers. They'll cause a lot less riots and lawsuits that way. So they have to learn to control their nerves and shoot (a lot) straighter, so what? Nothing wrong with that. If they dont like it, they can always quit and get a REAL job, you know?