Race and Gender

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by PatrickT, Oct 20, 2014.

?

More Friends/Acquaintances of a different...

Poll closed Oct 30, 2014.
  1. race

25.0%
  2. sexual preference

75.0%
  1. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things I don't understand but I'm still curious. So, I'd like to know if you have more friends or acquaintances of a different race or of a different sexual preference?

I have a few friends of a different race, some of whom I have loved dearly, but I have more friends of a different sexual preference and I've loved some of them dearly, too.

So, I'm curious. Which is more common for you, friends/acquaintances of a different race or of a different sexual preference?

2. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

For me it is sexual preference.

I have a lot of female friends. They prefer men, I don't.

I don't think that's what you're after though, so I won't skew the poll.

As for the poll, I have more friends who are a different race, than who are gay.

That's by choice.

3. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

That's what I was after. Even though it's easier to know who's another race than it is to know who's of a different sexual orientation. I've been wondering whether people have more friends or acquaintances from one group than the other.

To be honest, I expect people to be more accepting of people with different sexual preferences than different races.

4. antb0y

antb0y Well-Known Member

More friends of a different sexual preference.
    I rarely have the opportunity to make friends with people of different race.

5. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

May be it's because Italy is a very traditional country, but here it's more rare to build friendships with persons with different sexual orientation than with persons of different race.

Personally I'm friend of Africans who live here [in particular from Senegal], but I have never had occasion to become friend with someone showing different sexual orientation.

Would it be a problem for me? I don't think, but it hasn't happened.

6. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

What are races? I mean I'm not familiar with your race theory, what race are Egyptians for example?

7. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

as I am white, most of my friends are white.

its less a matter of race, than of culture.

8. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

I'm straight, and if I have any friends of a differant preference, they haven't made me aware of it, either by conversation or action. There are VERY few minorities in my community, although I do have a black co-worker who I get along with just fine. When I was in management in the big city, I had some extremely competent minorities on my staff. I also had some of the opposite. I don't know if any of them considered me a freind, but I did my best to treat them all as they deserved. As far as gender, I've got quite a few female freinds (don't tell wifey), and I have a mutual respect with all of them.
    Enjoy!

9. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

its kind of natural for human beings to organize first around people that look like them, and then act like them.

10. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I don't get the question. What does "different sexual preference" mean? I'm a dude and I like the dames. They are different.

11. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have more friends of a different sexual preference than I do of a different race. Its largely because of where I am and where I'm from. My home state is one of the whitetest, and the state where I now live is also pretty white, and I don't live in the cities so it's even whiter than the state as a whole. So though I easily see (just actually see) easily about a thousand people a day, only about 3-5 are black. Maybe 15/1000 total are not white. But, by my guestimation, there are a lot more than 15/1000 non-heterosexuals that I see daily.

So it's likely more of a math thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the general question is geared towards white heterosexuals (the answers become pretty 'duh' otherwise), asking if you have more non-white friends or non-heterosexual friends. Obviously people who aren't white and who aren't heterosexual can answer, but just because of numbers will have wildly different results.

12. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

Well, then maybe I'm unnatural, cause it is what it is and I've got no use for people who can't accept that, But isn't that what a friend does-takes you the way you are? Besides, I don't mind getting together with people who don't necessarily look like me, even some who don't agree with me. That's how you learn about your fellow man. Again, maybe I'm differant, but my past experiences have given me the ability to decide whether or not I "like", or more important, trust a person almost immediately.
    Enjoy!

13. Crawdadr

Crawdadr Well-Known Member

I am friends with more homosexuals than African Americans. Frankly I just do not get the opportunity, I really think it is an interest thing. Though strangely for most of my childhood my best friend was Pakistani. Now if we count hispanics as a race then I have more hispanic friends then homosexual but I have been told that hispanic is no longer a race they are just a form of caucasian.

14. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

List the races if u can?