Apple encryption. Do we have a right to privacy or does National Security trump

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Giftedone, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Giftedone

Giftedone Well-Known Member Past Donor

The Feds and other police and security forces are railing against the new security features in the Apple Phone.

There are arguments on both sides of this issue.

The argument from the Feds is that this will injure "national security" and make their jobs more difficult.

Others argue that this is an unwarranted and over-reaching intrusion into privacy.

My take is first that should the Police and Feds (those with a clear conflict of interest) arguments be taken seriously. Can they be trusted to give an honest account of the significance to National Security interests or are they embellishing ?

I believe it is the responsibility of the media to find the best legitimate arguments on both sides of this question. This is not likely to happen so I look forward to hearing some good arguments from both sides here !

2. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I say: do your worst! I don't have a cell phone. :laughing:

Oh, what do I think about encryption? I think the Jihadists will be riding over the hills any day now because of encryption.

On the other hand, I heard that encryption might prevent governments around the world from harassing their citizens when they post stuff that shines a poor light on the leadership. I have my doubts about whether in this era of advanced surveillance it makes a difference. Well, not for the NSA.

3. Riot

Riot New Member

Wait what? Obama said that it's only meta data? He promised!!! Why would the NSA need to take our emails if it's only just a little metadata?

4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

I say the Gov. has zero GD business prying into my private life. You pose your question as if no-one ever heard of that antiquated old piece of paper; the CONUS.

5. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

The NSA has a long history of Orwellian opposition to encryption. People forget that it was illegal to export encryption.

The state hates encryption because mathematics holds all as equal. It doesn't matter if men in suits with flag pins give thugs the right to rob you - if they don't have the key, they're not getting past AES-256.

6. Riot

Riot New Member

How had the spying helped us stop the Boston bombers? Obama was even warned several time about these Moslems yet did nothing. Yet they need to see what's on my phone? Really? Screw them and this lying administration

7. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Apple had better be prepared for more warrants.

8. Pardy

Who was outraged and demanded Lois Lerner's emails? Was it the Left?

9. Riot

Riot New Member

That's not the public. That's is a part of government that is out of control and maybe breaking the law. There is plenty of evidence to look into the governments emails when our rights might be violated.
    We the citizens have rights. Not your left wing government. Not when the IRS is out of control. If their were emails during Carter I would bet my life on it that y'all left wing Hypocrites would be acting a fool about getting your hands on them.
    I have the right to privacy. Not the IRS and it's hatred for the American people.

10. Pardy

Don't you worry. The IRS is doing just fine.

11. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

Conflating a subpena to turn over all documentation by a government division that is required by law to keep those documents with NSA warrant less spying on private citizens? You really don't have any argument do you, so you just throw a ball of (*)(*)(*)(*) at the wall and hope something sticks.

12. Riot

Riot New Member

The IRS is doing just fine wasting Americans money.

13. Giftedone

What stunned me was when the head of the NSA lied to congress not only was he not punished, he kept his job and was not even demoted.

Those in the NSA that expressed reservations and tried to go through legitimate channels was who the Administration went after in a big way, including making trumped up charges against them and falsifying evidence.

We have a lower rate of terrorism today than at any time since records started to be kept in the 70s.

Obama "If we want increased security ... we have to give a little" referring to the NSA.

Perhaps the average Joe buys into this doublespeak but Obama knows better.

The odds of an American being harmed by a terrorist attack are 400 times lower than the probability of being harmed from walking. The risk of harm driving to work in the morning ? 1000's of times higher.

Yet .. to further minimize this miniscule risk we are supposed to give up the rights and freedoms that so many sacrificed their lives for.

Stalin was not the first to use "fear of a foreign threat" to strip rights and freedoms from the people but he pretty much wrote the book ..

Security for the Motherland. Hitler used the same tactic "Fatherland Security"

Bush copied his predecessors by using fear of a foreign threat to introduce "Homeland Security"

Obama is staying the course.

Steady Pie and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Riot

Riot New Member

That is sad that you believe that your government has the same rights as the people it's suppose to serve.

15. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Gov't. tryin' to define boundaries on encryption...
    :confusion:
    US Government Both Supports Encryption and Seeks Limitations
    April 14, 2016 - The recent announcement by mobile messaging service WhatsApp that it would begin offering end-to-end encryption made worldwide headlines. That's no surprise, given the app has approximately 1 billion users across the globe.
    See also:

Microsoft Sues US Government Over Data Requests
    April 14, 2016 — Microsoft has sued the U.S. government for the right to tell its customers when a federal agency is looking at their emails, the latest in a series of clashes over privacy between the technology industry and Washington.

16. tsuke

tsuke Well-Known Member

who actually believes fbi doesnt have the capability for this already?

17. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

And Trump wants to double down on the same bs.

18. Giftedone

For sure. If a candidate is not out there standing against the destruction of individual liberty in times like this when it is so perverse, then they are for it.