Stress Relief or Self Expression. Why do we post?

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by TBryant, Oct 22, 2014.

1. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Going through a little personal crisis got me back on here after I had basically decided to not bother with PF anymore. (can't wait for the disappointed responses from that one) And it got me to thinking, how many people on PF have to deal with some sort of super stressful situation where they have to hold their tongues and keep their true opinions to themselves to just get by?

I am by no means conservative, but I see crazy unfair situations happen all the time due to misguided liberal enlightenment. Others I see caught in personal or occupational situations where they have no voice, but are held responsible for every mistake and random problem. Many times in the real world we are not even allowed to complain, its a sign of weakness or disloyalty etc. It must be very hard to never lash out at the people that are truly causing the problems.

Thinking about this makes me take the comments I see here in a completely different light. Here you can speak (write) your peace of mind and not be considered weak or disloyal. Here having an exaggerated or excessive opinion is a sign of power and confidence. The tone of so many post can be seen as a sort of literary primal scream. Proving someone wrong equates to proving oneself right, and a sort of jungle law emerges that is not at all based on logical debate but rather the will to keep repeating the same points over and over until the opposition is crushed.

For me self expression is just as much a release. I like to work at social puzzles and mysteries and I do not get a lot of opportunity to vent my interest on people in the offline world. Though I am sure I have inspired many a blank eyed stare into the distance from posters on PF, at least I don't have to see it, here I can imagine some interest in my POV. I have also spent a lot of time intervening in slanted disputes, standing up for the underdog is just engraved in my bones, and I have taken on arguments I have no agreement with just to spite the top dog of the moment. It wins me no popularity contest, but it keeps me at peace with myself.

Anyone out there had similar thoughts?

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - it's all dem anti-Trump lib'ral yankee media types fault...
    :grandma:
    Startling rise in stress levels witnessed in America due to current political upheaval
    Saturday 18th February, 2017 - - The recent political climate in the U.S. is said to have left the country under significant stress.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Hmmm, mebbe is why I had a small stroke last week?...
    :confusion:
    Constant Email, Text, Social Media Checks Lead to Stress
    February 23, 2017 - Nearly 90 percent of Americans say they “constantly or often” check their email, texts and social media accounts leading to increased stress, according to a report from the American Psychological Association (APA).
    See also:

Study: Cats Not Linked to Mental Illness
    February 22, 2017 - There is some good news for cat lovers. Turns out those reports that people who grew up with cats have a higher risk of mental illness are not true.

4. Dutchess2

Dutchess2 New Member

I like your post because you are right we all should use a place where we can vent our frustrations or opinions.
    I Have a problem with talking a normal conversation in real life I can get the words out good , I want to say so many things but the words don't come out right so I write on this where I can say what I want and if they don't like it I don't have to see the disaproving stare they give me and make me feel like I am not worthy.
    Its hard to say what one want to say without coming over like a duffus ..lol

I always look for people who have similar idieas or atleast something that I can put my heels in I know it is hard to follow me my English leaves me sometimes in lala land ..LOL but I get that way when I want to say so much and cant get the words out.
    Yes I go through something too and have trouble understanding why it is that people don't seem to get it that it is allowed to agree to disagree they don't get that and get angry and I don't get that then so you can see it is a vicious circle that keeps going on and on but okay I will just leave that person out of my circle what I find really hard to do because I thought we were friends.

5. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

it is stress relief for people of power, and self expression for people without power.

6. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

I post because so many people are misguided and need to be straightened out.

I honestly don't know why anyone posts after I do. Once I've posted, what needs to be said is said.

7. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the boards cause more stress not less, so many arguments makes no sense to come here for stress relief.

There are news articles I wouldn't normally come across, so come here for the out of ordinary and to see what fake news the right wingers posted.