Conceited CCW holders

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Aleksander Ulyanov, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

No, but the Headline "Well meaning Canadian CCW holder kills several innocent passerby" is equally unlikely.

The apparent amazingly inflated opinion that some CCW holders have as to most CCW holder's abilities to actually employ their weapons in an impromptu gunfight would be amusing were it not so dangerous. Police who are required by their jobs to practice with their weapons are still known to be surprisingly inept with them and even soldier's stories of shots missed or gone wild are proverbial or "friendly fire" deaths would not be so common, but somehow Walter Rambo Mitty believes he becomes James Bond just by purchasing a pistol

And since we ARE the most well armed nation on Earth why have we had so many mass shootings? In Canada, where they have less guns, these shootings are still a big deal. Here in our land of freedom some guy shooting up the Capitol would just get a bored "Again?" response. Where are all our erstwhile protectors? IMO they're cowering under the desks with the rest of us but I'll be charitable and say it must be just wild coincidence that no heroic CCW has yet been around for one.

And have you ever noticed how every new senseless shooting becomes an argument in FAVOR of more guns? It's like saying that we should all keep our own personal flea-infested rat to prevent plague outbreaks.

2. flogger

flogger Well-Known Member

Good post Aleksander

Aye and there's the rub. Just to underline your point there can you imagine any other society reacting in such a perverse manner as this.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...oting-christmas-gift-gun-sales_n_2364321.html

So the reaction to the latest school massacre is to empty the shelves of the type of weapon used just in case the government takes this toy away ! There are obviously some serious and collective psychological issues needing addressed amongst many there

3. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

CCW holders do not generally carry for the purpose of being a hero. They carry for personal protection. If I were at the Canadian Parliament today, and I, somehow, had my CCW, the very last thing I would think about doing is finding the shooters and taking them out. I would RATHER hide under a desk and wait for the whole thing to blow over.

Secondly, the CCW holders *I* know practice all the time, not because their job requires it, but because they enjoy it. I have personally fired 1000's of rounds of ammo in the last few months. I'm probably a better shot, and more practiced than the average cop is.

Thirdly, the headline "Well meaning CCW holder kills several innocent passerby" is equally unlikely here.

4. flogger

This informative police video makes it clear why untrained civilians like you will most likely not be as good as you think you are in any crisis situation. Shooting however many rounds at firearms ranges cannot substitute for proper crisis training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

5. Russ103

Russ103 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nobody is as good as they think they are in a life or death situation. Cops included.

Top tier special operations guys are exempt of course.

6. Hotdogr

My goal is to avoid, at all costs, so-called "crisis situations". But, I do keep a well-stocked toolbox for those crisis that do present themselves. And I make an effort to be trained and practiced and proficient as possible, in the safe and proper use of my tools. But nobody is very good in crisis situations. Infantrymen expect 90% miss rates in combat situations, for instance.

7. flogger

I was intimating at issues with CCW firearms use not tools

8. Hotdogr

A firearm is a tool.

9. flogger

Nope its a weapon. This is pretty fundamental stuff that should need further little explanation

10. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I can give you a good example:

Tyler, TX 2005
    A noncustodial parent went nuts and tried to execute his ex wife and son on the courthouse steps. The nutcase had a rifle and body armor. He had just shot his wife and was about to kill his son. The police were shooting at him, but only had pistols and couldn't get close enough to accurately shoot the suspect. Mark Wilson lived in a nearby loft apartment and saw the gunfight and saw that the police were outgunned. He snuck up behind the suspect and engaged him from behind the suspect's car. He shot the suspect and caused him to turn his attention from killing his son. The bulletproof vest protected the suspect and he shot and killed Mark Wilson. Wilson is credited for saving the boys life. The suspect was forced into his car to flee, which allowed the police to prepare an end to the incident.

Even though Wilson lost his gunfight, just a couple of hundred feet away inside the courthouse, one of my in-laws protected his courtroom with a Kimber .45. My relative is a judge with a CHL.

A CHL is not a "bad guy hunting license". I don't think I would have engaged that guy unless I knew his victims. I wouldn't have called Wilson a coward for locking the door to his apartment and calling the police to get the shooting police better backup. We are responsible for every round that leaves our guns and don't have the same defense to prosecution as police officers have. That forces us to be very careful how we use our guns and encourages us to only use them as a last resort. You can call it cowering if you want, but it's his choice and it doesn't hurt anybody to hide and protect himself(and those around him) when near a shooting incident.

Here's a good one.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4527526

11. Hotdogr

A weapon is a tool.

[SUP]1[/SUP]tool noun \ˈtül\

a : a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task

12. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

13. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

14. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

15. flogger

Honestly this is desperate stuff that a five year old would not need explaining to them. Using the word 'tool' as a substitute for weapon is simply an attempt to verbally water down a firearms inherent lethality

16. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

17. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nope. My firearm is one tool among many tools in my arsenal. This is fundamental. Your pedestrian approach shows your exposure and limited knowledge.

A firearm can be used primarily as a tool, instead of as a weapon, to project either single or multiple objects at high velocity through a controlled explosion. The firing is achieved by the gases produced through rapid, confined burning of a propellant. This process of rapid burning is technically known as deflagration. In older firearms, this propellant was typically black powder, but modern firearms use smokeless powder, cordite, or other propellants. Many firearms such as mortars do not have rifled bores to impart spin to the projectile for improved flight stability, such as is seen with firearms used as weapons, although some are rifled. The lack of rifling can prevent tangling of grappling hook lines, buoy lines, and such, although some firearms intended for use at the longest ranges in these applications are rifled.

18. flogger

So to summarise. A firearm is just a 'tool' for moving small pieces of lead around at high velocity
    Hilarious ! :roflol:

19. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Tools are just that. Mechanical advantage. But after talking with you I can think of other ways to apply the word "Tool".

I also enjoy using the word arsenal with you...... brings me conceited joy.

20. flogger

Only in America could such a comically inappropriate definition of what a firearm really is, be made with a straight face ! :lol:

21. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

A weapon is a tool and a force equalizer. You wouldn't try to hammer a nail into a board with your bare fist would you?

- - - Updated - - -

For some posters, ignorance is bliss.

22. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Compare that to Australia where when a similar weapon was used in a mass shooting (Port Arthur) the government banned all those weapons and the average Aussie citizens response was "fair enough"

23. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Now I have truly seen the American tendency to redefine guns to being harmless taken to an extreme!!

24. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

Really? Have you?
    I didn't see the word harmless written or inferred anywhere in his statement.
    Most people with enough brains to use a tool already realize there's inherent danger in almost all of them.
    Bedpans and spongebaths obviously has left you ignorant.

25. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Loyal subjects do that.