Here's the plan to combat "gay marriage"

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by Perriquine, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

From the MassResistance site:

http://massresistance.org/docs/gen2/14d/supreme-court-reaction/what-to-do.html

Take note of all the "war" language above.

This, I think, is especially telling:

I disagree - I think the fact that people have begun to engage in deep thinking and a rational dissection of ideas is why they are "in this mess".

At least they admit that their "war" is not about reason, but about playing on people's emotions (in other words, trying to make them afraid).

It seems things are about to get a whole lot nastier from the anti-gay groups who won't take 'no' for an answer. Now, I could spend a lot of time dissecting this manifesto and providing counter arguments, but this post is already long enough, and I'm more interested in others' take on this. At some point I'll weigh in with my own further opinions.

Edit: Oh, and the "Tell the Truth" item, which consists of spreading lies and distorting the facts with half-truths. Hilarious.

2. DevilMay

DevilMay Well-Known Member

I think they are saying OUR arguments are about emotion and theirs are about reason.

Funny how none of their "reasoning" has held up in court...

3. beeterroot

beeterroot Newly Registered

Here , in the UK , I suspect we view the US anti gay movement with considerable distaste .
    As a group they seem akin to groups like the Flat Earth Society though not quite as nauseous as Holocaust Deniers .
    In general terms , how can we " save the souls" who make up so much of 20 th century middle and southern America ?

4. Colombine

Colombine Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, I couldn't be happier than to know that "natural law" "penetrates deeply" (I mean, who writes this stuff?).

The reference to the "every child needs a mother and father" being a dumb argument practically strings NOM out to dry. That's their clarion call and they're about the only major player left out there.

Also love that they pretty much say: "quit it with the clever arguments, pure, unabashed, bigotry works best every time". Maybe they have a point but I doubt it.

And the final swipe at the Republican party pretty much seals their fate. I've never been anti-Republican, I just don't like busybody social conservatives and these guys seem WAY out on that limb.

My only worry is that "civil disobedience" is code for "violence" and I honestly think we'll see a lot more of that before the dust finally settles. I've never shied from that prediction.

Beyond that, I hardly feel the need to post anymore and screeds like this just reassure me that my calendar will be left more and more open as this "debate" reaches its inevitable conclusion.

5. Colombine

This is the bit that bothers me:

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/gen2/14d/supreme-court-reaction/index.html

"We can learn a lot from the emerging pro-family groups in other countries. From Jamaica to Africa to Eastern Europe and beyond, we have seen pro-family groups that are fearless, truthful, and understand the battle very clearly."

In many of those places, the LGBT community are harassed, beaten and even killed with both regularity and impunity.

To see that these are the "models" to which they aspire is a chilling warning that should never be overlooked.

6. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I think sticking to the Courts and the Federal Constitutional arguments is the best weapon in the fight for it, after all fringe Christian views against interracial marriages used to be normal that a black person marrying a white person was "against nature" using supporting Biblical arguments now that is clearly not acceptable. And that fight was in the Courts.

The best defense could be take a country much like the US ,Britain, they openly legalized Gay Marriage and before that made allowances for Civil Unions and the country didn't implode since they did the smart thing marriage is indeed a moral good and stabilizing regardless of gender pairings and in time there will likely be quite accepted. If they did it with no issues of note then why not here in the United States?

7. Liberalis

Liberalis Well-Known Member

So true. American Christians are exporting homophobic hate to countries more receptive of their ideas, and the result has been disastrous. It encourages the rape of women to make them straight and the death of gay men and women.

All in the name of the Lord, right? It sickens me how evil and immoral people can be while simultaneously claiming to be holier than thou.

8. DevilMay

Well the vast majority of Christians aren't like that. But those who are so consumed by their homophobia and bigotry and think the Bible validates such thinking have no problem with trying to influence events in other countries, having lost their grip in the west.

9. Perriquine

I don't think so, given what comes before it. But I could be reading it wrong, as it's not very well written.

Which is why I think they've concluded that "this war is about emotion", so that's what they plan to use, going forward.

10. Perriquine

One wonders if we'll see lynchings. Resorting to violence would illustrate desperation. I think it would be their undoing; it might cause an awakening and a backlash against them that pushes support for gay equality over the top. But I hate to think that this is what's required.

11. DevilMay

I think that's rather dramatic, don't you?

It won't happen here.

But they'll happily take it out on foreigners and encourage the death penalty in other, more backwards nations.

12. Liberalis

Liberalis Well-Known Member

Of course. But how many Christians are speaking out against stuff like this? Not too many. Complacency is a problem.

13. Perriquine

I try never to underestimate the power of stupid (or fearful) people in sufficient numbers.

14. Colombine

In a country where a guy can walk into a school room and shoot up a bunch of defenseless toddlers?

Nope doesn't seem dramatic in the least!

15. DevilMay

You normally make such fantastic contributions to this site...

But truthfully I'm not seeing the connection between a horrific school shooting and signs that the anti-gay crowd are about to do a KKK on us.

16. DevilMay

To clarify that - I remind you of the Dunblane massacre in the UK. In no way does that suggest the extreme right are poised to engage in lynch-mobbings against gay people.

17. Colombine

I'm not saying there's a direct connection but the US does have a pretty long record of people taking the law into their own hands when they believe the system has "usurped the will of the people".

Perhaps a better comparison would be people shooting Doctors who provide abortion services.

Most pro-life people restrict their protests to words, placards and back door legislation but the odd crazy slips through the net and somone dies.

We've already seen LGBT people shot on the streets:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...USUxBBCrj_gbkfUww&sig2=Mb3xVhxuDwWWjwX3l6Jwqw

That's just one example, google "gay shot" and you'll find many more.

I'm not implying that anyone from Mass Resistance and similar groups is directly responsible but I can only imagine how their "take no prisoners, heed no ground" rhetoric could be seen by an unhinged person seething with anger, resentment and a sense of implacable loss.

Believe me, that's the last thing I'd want to happen but I've always conceded that it might and to a predictable degree, probably will following a huge and in this case unexpectedly rapid victory for the marriage equality movement.

18. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

It's good to see this. Let's me know the fight isn't over. I read through several articles on mass resistance. It's deeply opinionated.

I don't think I would have as much contempt for them if out of one side of their mouth talked about how "Jesus is love" and the other side regard us with such contempt. It's disappointing that after all the struggles we have faced as a nation this causes such a problem.

Alas, I believe the scale is tipping. And the canards of yesterday aren't holding water today. That doesn't mean the fight is over. It means it's going to enter it's bloodiest phase. Before we were a nuisance now we have permeated into many facets of the culture.

This is the point where we need endurance.

19. ProgressivePatriot

ProgressivePatriot Well-Known Member

Here is another piece of equine excrement that I just came across. If this ass hat want to keep gay judges off the bench because they are biased, he's a bit late for North Carolina. It's in the 4th circuit.

20. ProgressivePatriot

There is still work to be done!

21. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

So incredibly sad, just fifty years ago black people had to face mobs of people that felt they weren't as good as white people just to go to school. Now they are saying exactly the same things about homosexuals that were said about them.

22. migueldarican

migueldarican New Member

What's hilarious about this is I remember a poster coming here and spamming messages about "After the Ball" "proving" (at least according to him) that the gay agenda exists, as if there isn't an antigay agenda with their own literature that acts as a call to arms.

Ladies and gentlemen ^ exhibit A.

23. ProgressivePatriot

Five Antigay Nightmares That Will Happen Now That Republicans Control Congress

Midterm elections are rarely favorable to the President’s party and, true to history, the Democrats took a beating on Election Day. Republicans picked up enough seats to gain control of the Senate, which means that come next year, Congress could be entirely in the control of Republicans. That makes President Obama the sole firewall against a conservative onslaught.

Here are five antigay issues that are bound to arise now that the GOP has full rein of Congress… http://www.queerty.com/five-antigay-things-that-will-happen-if-republicans-control-congress-20141104 :steamed::steamed::steamed:

24. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

The opposing side can quit their strategy. It is now 2015 and the U.S. Supreme Court has declared Gay Marriage to be the law of the land.

25. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

U.S. Constitution
    Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

As there is no Constitutional right to marriage, the issue of defining it should be decided by the States. Several States did in fact define it and the Federal courts threw out the laws, arguing the States have no right to define it either...oh really? (see Amendment X)

As I recall DOMA was thrown out because it was not the Federal government's right to define marriage...yet approving gay marriage is? Does anyone not see the hypocrisy?

The issue is not strictly one of religion as the gay agenda wants to limit the discussion to...it is in fact an issue of an unbridled, activist Supreme Court that has been consistently violating the nation's 10th Amendment.

This sets a bad precedent.

Gay marriage should be a matter of the States, not the Federal government. It is the job of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution, not create new and expanded powers that do not exist within the body of our Constitution. .