U.N. Actions to prevent Russian invasion of the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Diplomacy & Conflict Resolution' started by Folklore, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Folklore

Folklore Newly Registered

As the Russian Military is on the verge of carrying out the invasion of the Ukraine, I want to know how the U.N. plans on stopping them. Personally, If I were Putin right now, I'd do it. What does he have to lose? Will the U.N. declare war on Russia? Could Europe even survive without Russian oil? And what could America do about it, begin another Cold War?

What I propose is a simple, yet effective way to prevent the Russians from taking the Ukraine.

U.N. Action: Send in soldiers to put down rebellion in Ukraine, and leave them there until situation cools down. Fixes pro Russian revolution (Which is partially distroying the country), and stops the Russians from invading the Country. They will not invade a Nation full of U.N. Peace Keepers. If the world allows a Russian invasions of anywhere, it shows that Russia is the most powerful, as no one will stand to oppose her.

Something must be done, and it needs doing now.

2. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

I agree, something needs to be done. The violence, the destruction, the deaths and misery.. That needs to stop.

Although I doubt it's the US's place to do this, especially when it backs one side of the conflict even as they go about killing people and destroying property. Don't back Kiev and don't back the rebels. The very least the US could do is sanction the Ukrainian government as well as Russia.

But then, the fact is that the US is waging a war with Russia, with Ukraine as a pretense and a proxy.

3. Strasser

Strasser Banned

Something is being done already; the price of oil and gas are being driven down, and driven down below what Putin needs to sustain his military spending and propping up Russia's failing economy. He needs oil at around $106-$110 a bl. to sustain his regime, and it's currently at around $85. All his actions in the Ukraine have accomplished for him is for Europe to accelerate its program of getting off Russian energy imports, which had already decreased by some 30% before his sabre rattling and invasions of the Ukraine. It's now up to him to reverse that, and he has few options. We don't need to do anything drastic at the moment, just slowly squeeze him to death. If he opts for a full out war against the rest of the Ukraine, then he will collapse just that much faster.

Russian power is vastly over-rated; he is just hoping to cash in on the typical Western reticence to engage in military actions. He will end up with nothing in the longer term, and quite possibly be assassinated by his own oligarchs.

4. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Just use NATO forces to close the (old) border between Ukraine and Russia, let anyone wanting to leave the Ukraine peacefully to go through back to Russia, and let Ukraine authorities manage their own internal affairs.