If you had Jesus' powers would you tell us the cure for Ebola?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FreedomSeeker, Oct 24, 2014.

1. FreedomSeeker

FreedomSeeker Well-Known Member

If you had Jesus' supposed magic super-powers would you provide us with the cure for Ebola, or at least not have created it in the first place? This is a good test of how moral you are. You could save potentially millions of innocent human beings by snapping your fingers and revealing the cure (or creating a cure, or again, not have created it in the first place)....would you do that?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'd do, seeing how I care for humanity.

It would seem that if you answer "yes" to this question that you are far more moral/caring than even Jesus is.

P.S. you can't say there's no cure, unless of course you believe that there are things that god CAN'T do.

2. PeppermintTwist

PeppermintTwist Well-Known Member Past Donor

According to believers, God is an all-powerful being who has the divine, magical power to do anything. How do we know that this belief is a fairy tale? One way to know is to try to invoke God's magical power. For example, the Bible tells us in many places that God answers prayers. However, whenever we try to pray, we notice that nothing happens. That tells us that God is completely imaginary. The magical powers ascribed to him are a fairy tale.

What would happen if we get down on our knees and pray to God in this way:

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

We pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways. Will anything happen? No. Of course not.

This is very odd. Jesus makes specific promises in the Bible about how prayer is supposed to work. Jesus says in many different places that he and God will answer your prayers. And Christians believe Jesus -- according to this recent article, "54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true." In some areas of the country the number goes as high as 75%.

If the Bible is literally true, then something is seriously amiss. Simply look at the facts. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

If "every one who asks receives", then if we ask for cancer to be cured, it should be cured. Right? If "our Father who is in heaven gives good things to those who ask him", then if we ask him to cure cancer, he should cure it. Right? And yet nothing happens.

http://godisimaginary.com/i1.htm

3. crank

crank Well-Known Member

on the contrary, god SENT ebola to punish us for not being christian enough. He's a great guy, old yahweh. Always thinking of us and teaching us valuable lessons.

4. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

I would sell it to the world for the low low price of only $1 trillion. Buy now and I will throw in the cure for cancer at no extra cost.

5. FreedomSeeker

AIDS must be from god to punish people for not following his command to not be gay (and in multiple places it says to KILL gays - and Christians seem to intellectually cowardly to improve that.) This of course helps keep people from trying to find a cure for AIDS. Yet another example of religion harming the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Contrats, you're more moral/compassionate than Jesus. Jesus could cure it, or tell us the cure, or not have created it in the first place (or is he not all-powerful like the Bible says), so you are far more moral than that zombie is.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if you know of any teachers that are smart enough to teach lessons w/out it involving untold numbers of deaths?
    Obviously god is an idiot....in which case he's not as advertised, so he's just a myth. A myth that is causing untold hardship around the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad Jesus isn't moral enough to talk his father out of doing that. I know crank would, if crank was in Jesus' shoes, but crank is far far more moral than the slavery-approving zombie from Nazareth.

6. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

asking the most high to cure cancer would be like asking him to let you win the lottery, why would he grant that? Everybody would be asking then.

7. FreedomSeeker

Apparently our Christian friends on this forum aren't as moral as we'd hope, as no Christian is apparently as moral as crank and others who would of course give us the cure. Your thoughts on why Modern Secular Humanists are more moral than Christians?

8. FreedomSeeker

I'd give the world the cure for cancer if I had Jesus' magic ability, because I'm more moral/compassionate than the selfish Jesus is.
    I might not let them all win the lottery.....there's a difference there, as lotteries (a tax on the mathematically-challenged) are arguably zero-sum games.

So you think it's a GOOD thing that people suffer and suffer and suffer some more from cancer (especially innocent children), all because Jesus is so incredibly immoral, do you?

9. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

isuppose thats all part of evolution, with the strongest surviving humanity will keep evolving. ppl develop malignant cancerous cells due to poor life decisions dont you think?

10. FreedomSeeker

Evolution not being nice and friendly does not make it not true. A believer in evolution does not have to like the fact that it can be quite ruthless. Truth is more important to a Modern Secular Humanist (reality) than comfort. Not so to a religious person, often.

It appears you approve of people dying from cancer. I appear to be more moral than you and Jesus since I'd cure it if I had Jesus' mutant powers (Jesus is like the X-Men), but you appear to not be as moral, correct? Here's an opportunity for you to be as moral as Modern Secular Humanism, will you take it?
    Have a great weekend.

11. Riot

Riot New Member

Jesus was a drunk party boy. 12 guys and a whole barrel of wine. Not a pitcher or just their cups. But a barrel. Slush.

12. FreedomSeeker

The Bible conveniently leaves out Jesus' life details from the most typically sexually-active years, and they can't have their boy be killed for being gay, so do you think they conveniently left out his years from 13 to 29 (roughly) since he was involved in gay sex? It seems fairly likely.
    If so, Christians will have to leave their cult because they'd have to agree that their savior should be stoned to death. Wow.

13. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Iwant the best for humanity, not for an individual who made the wrong choice. That's how we as a a dominant species prevail

14. FreedomSeeker

Is it best for humanity that those who make the honest mistake of picking the wrong illogical super-hero from the thousands on offer allegedly get tortured, brutally, savagely, forever? Is that best for humanity? As a Modern Secular Humanist, I of course would not do it Jesus' way, because we are too compassionate to be Christians. What about you?

- - - Updated - - -

So a 6 year-old cancer victim (who Jesus of course doesn't care about or he'd use his magic super-powers on) "made the wrong choice"!?

15. TexMexChef

TexMexChef Well-Known Member

Poor life decisions? There is life...and the alternative.

16. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

As a sperm cell maybe he shouldn't have rushed to the front of the que. guess that's evolution in practice again and maybe his daddy might learn something about his future life decisions

17. FreedomSeeker

Sounds harsher than even a Nazi would be.

18. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Life is cruel at times. That's what make the man, the longer the iron in furnace the stronger it become

19. FreedomSeeker

20. PeppermintTwist

PeppermintTwist Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, because asking him to cure a good person who is ravged by cancer and living on a morphine drip is exactly the same as asking to win the lottery. And btw...when did he say...

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds...with the execption of the lottery or other riches. ???

21. FreedomSeeker

22. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

yes, but we expect you to be more moral and caring than a God.. Gods are supposed to be mean, jealous and vengeful, you know.... scary... not helpful.... put the fear of God in ya

23. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

24. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Maybe the promise is conditional, as in living a righteous and humble existence. Somebody suffering from liver cancer because they drink too much alcahol is a warning to future generation and a blueprint as such for survival. Ask, seek, knock

25. FreedomSeeker

The Christian/Muslim god(s) certainly are!
    Dawkins sums up Christianity in a mere 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovWs8JQN7FE
    Sounds like a perfectly awful belief system.