should all facts be acknowledged?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Curiosity, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Curiosity

Curiosity New Member

At some point in human evolution our ancestors spread out across the globe and developed different biological attributes. We see the physical differences. What is harder to pin down is if different groups developed different mental attributes as well.

If it is true that there are certain behavioral tendencies attributed to various groups should we acknowledge those differences and is doing so racist? Are facts racist?

2. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

People don't understand genetics. Just let it go, they won't listen.

3. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

If it's hard to pin down, how is it a fact?

4. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is less than a 1% genetic difference between the races, that is smaller than any animal species on the planet. So explain to us what these mental difference are and what your proof is because I have never run across that in any study I've ever done on this subject.

5. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

No.

Next question.

6. Spooky

>>>MOD EDIT Quoted Post and Reply Deleted<<<

However, I can source a plethora of studies done that shows there is no mental capacity difference whatsoever between the races so you will really need solid information to prove your point.

7. Rainbow Crow

Rainbow Crow New Member Past Donor

You haven't read the right studies then, the amount of genetic difference relative to other species is irrelevant. The deeper question is why do we deny it? It's impossible to reach a certain age and not accept the truth, if only subconsciously. So why do Democrat-controlled areas have the worst inequality? How deep does the desire to use victimhood as a cause by proxy run? For how long are we going to deny that there are differences instead of accepting them? Will this lie run on forever, like in That Hideous Strength or can we live in harmony? I'm just glad that most of the world has not gotten caught up in this deceit.

8. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Also, I thought the words was actually farts.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What's your point?

10. Spooky

I have actually read every study done about genetics and mental ability which is why I know what I am talking about. Your link makes absolutely no connection between mental capacity and inequality. You are looking at results and guessing at the cause without a shred of proof.

11. Rainbow Crow

My point is that I think all facts should be acknowledged. We are only doing even more damage than we otherwise would in rejecting some obvious truths. The fact that Mexicans are stupid doesn't mean we need to start killing them or anything. We can get along with stupid people just fine. I would give up my luxuries for the planet, or peace, or whatever but it seems that most people would not and particularly so with leftists, so they go looking for dragons and finds scapegoats in honest men.

- - - Updated - - -

You're interesting, you're usually a conservative but almost no one in the conservative spheres accepts the kind of tabula rasa concepts you are pushing here. In fact, if you believe there is no difference, why don't you just support liberal policies that centralize everything? If you believe there's no inherent differences, such policies should result in everyone being nearly the same, though of course they do not get that result in practice.

12. Lucifer

My question to you would be, what would be the purpose of doing so?

Yes, within certain cultures there maybe certain traits that are more predominant than others, but it would not negate the presence of that same trait in another.

13. Rainbow Crow

Maybe I'm being too idealistic but I imagine that we could craft policies which honestly support our goals instead of prevaricating and scuffling with each other. If we want more smart black people we should make a policy that encourages the reproduction of the smarter black people? Instead we get things like, Democrats say they'll fight racial segregation by creating low-income housing to make things easier for them, but then all of the non-black or non-mestizo people move out of that area and next thing you know that liberal city is more racially segregated than the rest of the country. In refusing to not blame whitey we completely miss any opportunity that might exist to promote the success of smarter members of minority populations. By collecting them all in low-income housing areas they also don't breed with the smarter races which further prevents genetic improvement in the baseline intelligence through cross-breeding. Weird as all that may sound, when people craft policies based upon lies they usually just make things worse.

Still, no one is going to listen to me, I mean what could be more racist than suggesting we make blacks smarter by marrying them to whites? I'm probably going to be banned now or something. Blacks will be offended by it and whites don't want to have kids with black people unless they're smart and/or hot and can find their way out of the low-income housing zone which was so benevolently set up for them.

14. Spooky

I believe in whatever science has proven to be true. Supporting liberal or conservative policies is a bet on which one you think will have the best impact overall, there is little science involved with that and the science that does exist can be skewed many different ways.

There is no inherent difference in mental capacity between the races and this has been proven, thoroughly tested, and the results are conclusive. What your alluding to are cultural differences which do have a severe impact.

Take a black man, an Asian and a white from birth and as long as their brains all function normally, they will all be about the same. Sure, one may be a bit better at math while another is better at English but they all have roughly the same cognitive abilities as the others.

The genetic differences, which are minor, occur in physical attributes outside of what you see. They are inherent abilities given to the races. For instance, there is a study done, and I can dig it up for you if you like, that show blacks are a little superior at activities that require jumping or sprinting while whites excel at activities that require heavy cardiovascular use. There were also differences between women and men at the genetic level with women outperforming men in anything requiring endurance. But once again, these differences are less than 1% which means they might as well not even exist.

15. Lucifer

Social engineering? Is that what you are getting at? You seem to be working with the false assumptions that intelligence can have strengths or weaknesses within a specific race? You seem to be confusing circumstances with intelligence, and that quite honestly is just plain stupid.

Are you of the assumption that your particular ethnicity is exempt, or superior to others?

And seriously, what satisfaction or benefit do you get from such idle musings?

16. Rainbow Crow

Okay, maybe, but what you call minor differences leads to one person getting a job at Google mapping the world's information and living in San Francisco when he's not napping in his nap-pod and the other guy with the same degree ends up working for a terrible company like Electronic Arts making a new football video game every year. They might have as little as a 5-point deviation in a measurement like IQ but people care a lot about that difference. I figure we may as well acknowledge it.

17. Rainbow Crow

Maybe I'm only smarter than the guy in low-income housing because I get satisfaction from such idle musings. Is that a genetic proclivity or did I just develop this sense of satisfaction because I was minutely better at it than other people? Maybe I happened to be the best at these kinds of musings in my pond and so I got addicted to doing it, regardless, it wasn't my decision to value intellectualism, it was a collective decision.

18. Lucifer

Are you channeling Jimmy the Greek? :wink:

19. Lucifer

Sounds to me like it is all you, no collective required.

- - - Updated - - -

And did you ever stop to consider how random chance plays a role?

20. Spooky

The genetic differences are minor but the cultural ones are absolutely huge. When Irish Immigrants first came to America they were heavily discriminated against and we can see how this lack of assimilation into society forced them into a lower class tier within the nation. It did not last overly long but the effects were evident. A lack of employment, alcoholism, prostitution, very low education if any at all...a multitude of things.

And they were white.

Now compound those few decades by a couple of centuries and you can begin to see why some races perform worse than others. It has nothing to do with their inherent intelligence it has to do with cultural problems. If your parents never pushed you to get an education or helped you with your homework or encouraged you to play sports, because their parents didn't, because their parents didn't, because their parents didn't, because their parents were slaves.....you begin to see the problems.

Now look at young black children who have been fortunate to be raised in a higher quality of life and how they are performing. They are right on par with every other race in the same circumstances which proves there is no mental capacity difference between the races whatsoever.

There is nothing wrong with believing that as many people are raised to believe that is truth but once you look at all the evidence hopefully you yourself can see that it is simply ignorance which leads people to believe that.

21. Spooky

lol

Technically he was correct I suppose although he did not have the science to back him up nor did he reference any scientific proof.

But like I said, that fractural difference in genetics is so minute that it is not even a factor. A tad bit of training can easily overcome whatever advantage one race may have over another. According to the study, and I will find it since we are discussing it, spoke obviously about the certain sports like basketball and hurdles being advantageous for blacks, or more natural, while sports like swimming or wrestling favored whites. Women, if you factor in all conditions, can run longer then a man can, they perform better at triathlons and other things that require extensive endurance.

22. Rainbow Crow

I think once we get old enough the "random chance" excuse gets to be old. Maybe it's somewhat random what college I went to but it's not random whether I excelled in my major. Whether I excelled in my major determines if Google hires me or the other guy. There's 4 years for me to try and excel in my major.

Well, these small differences add up. Ask yourself, what is intelligence really?

Example: some people read more easily than others because their eyes are prioritized to things at different distances, different color schemes, etc. One would be strongly tempted to say that this isn't intelligence but if that kid reads throughout his childhood and another kid, effectively the same besides for his eyes, is playing basketball, if that is their only difference, those eyes made the first kid more intelligent. That's genetic. I don't even have to engage you on brain differences or dyslexia or so-on Spooky, you lose :)

If you'll forgive me for going there, my father and I both had bad allergies in youth so we couldn't play with the other kids. We both read every book in the school library instead, not because we loved it (at first) but because we couldn't do anything else. You can say that's not intelligence or that it's not fair but it is what it is... these traits may seem extremely minor but they add up in tangible and inescapable ways.

23. Lucifer

Well, I'm over half a century old and I can tell you that random chance is around every corner, along with it's brother Murphy's Law and Dumb (*)(*)(*)(*) Luck. If you are spending your life planning everything out, then you have to ask yourself if you're really living life.

You also have to consider the alternative; the kid who did play basketball, even though he barely liked reading a book, is also smart because he was able to master the game good enough to get a multimillion dollar contract coming out of college. It all balances out. One is not superior to the other. Each approach is a survival tool.

24. Spooky

If it was genetic and based on race you would see the majority of that race afflicted with that particular deficiency. Can you name any race specific deficiencies?

25. Rainbow Crow

Oh I totally agree with you on this. All of it really. But as much as luck is a factor we can't afford to blame it. So I consider it moot.

As to the second part, I agree with you on that except for one thing: most of those basketball kids don't get a good contract. So the eyes that are prioritized for reading are the more successful eyes now. And even if the kid does get a million-dollar basketball contract, if he mates (forgive the term) with someone with reading-oriented eyes, his kid may be good at neither one. It's not a long-term prospect for success, basketball just doesn't matter anymore.

Now I'm not conceding that there's no genetic factors to brain morphology and so-on, it's just that I've realized during this conversation that we don't even need brain differences to acknowledge genetic impacts upon intelligence. I sort of blew my own mind in arguing with you two, the eye thing never occurred to me before tonight, but Spooky was challenging me and so I tried to rise to it, all said I think I'm correct as to that deduction.