Scotland wanting Independence Referendum

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by alexa, Oct 31, 2014.

1. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

2. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Of a poll of 1,029 people 66% did not wish for another referendum without prerequisites.

This is a pretty weak article.

3. alexa

It is the result of a poll. 58% want a referendum within 5 years and 66 within ten for any reason. They were not so bothered about individual things.

The size of the poll is the norm. After Independence they did not want another Referendum. 58% wanting one within 5 years is a sure sign they realise they have made a mistake.

Here is another link http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides...s-support-second-referendum-within-ten-years/

4. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

So what? There were similar polls using those numbers and look how that turned out.

5. alexa

Really? Present them. Polls from after the referendum did not want another one in the near future. Show another one which wanted a Referendum within 5 years. I do accept that this is the first I have seen so will need to see others but looks promising that people have understood the big mistake they made.

6. alexa

It is confirmed in the voting intentions for the General Election

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides...s-support-second-referendum-within-ten-years/

7. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

That's not what I meant.
    I meant that that polls using similar numbers prior to the referendum weren't telling of peoples preferences.
    In fact you gave me flak for saying that there were rubbish which I was later proven correct.

8. alexa

Must have been right then because you are talking rubbish again. 1000 is the usual number for the poll and in any case as you can see it is confirmed by the Westminster poll. Another one out today had the SNP a little lower at 47% and labour a little higher at 27% but basically the SNP now has Scotland for Westminster and that is saying something! Labour's attitude during the Referendum has sent it into nose dive in Scotland just like the Conservatives did with the Poll Tax....and ha ha look at UKIP just 2%!!

9. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

No I'm not.
    The previous poll regarding Scottish independence which you lambasted me for did not match with the result.

And the rest of that post has nothing to do with this which is making me question your sanity.

10. alexa

Most of the time I have you on ignore. I have not a clue what you are talking about nor what reference if any it has to this thread.
    Sweetheart not me. I can see why I have you on ignore. Either that or using the report function.

11. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

The fact that these polls aren't credible.
    Don't call me sweetheart and yes; you.

12. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

You lost. No retries.

13. alexa

You want reported/put on ignore to? Sure you do so that you can insult. Both of you have won in destroying this thread and believing you have something when all you have is the ability to ruin thread and insult. I am assuming from your post which makes no sense to me but was thanked my procounsel that that was an intended insult on me.

I would remind you both this is a debate forum. Get your ego trips some other way than destroying threads.

14. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Hang on. The first time I conversed with you insulted me without provocation and since then it's been little else but hostility.
    There wasn't much to begin with.
    You seem to be making a mountain out of molehill. It's Pro-Consul btw. Care to guess the etymology of the name?
    I was trying to make the case that these polls cannot possibly represent the wishes of public because of how few participated.
    I'm not married and contrary to what you think I don't abuse women. In fact I had stopped a woman from being raped when I was living abroad.
    And I've intervened in life threatening situations.

If you really want to talk about independence for Scotland then I suggest that you make use of the opinions and beliefs section because you'll get far more responses and won't have to provide a link to an article.

15. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

I have to say that if I were pro-independence I wouldn't give up either, I'd keep hammering away at it until it was a reality. I mean, why stand for a principle and then walk away at the first defeat? Not much skin in it eh? So I'm not surprised. Unlike here in Australia where the republic advocates seem to have given up and put on their slippers and are content to have a nice cup of tea.

One thing though, perhaps in the next few years Scotland will have a chance to really consider the benefits and the drawbacks and have a decent discussion without too much of the party politics intruding. It was interesting to watch Cameron do a "whew!" when he dodged a bullet over it though, wonder if Britain needs Scotland more than the other way around?

16. munter

munter New Member

who cares - you libs lost, just time to get on with it and rebuild the glory of the United Kingdom!

get over it

17. mihapiha

mihapiha Active Member

As an outsider looking in on the situation, I was quite disappointed that the Scots didn't vote for their independence.

I my opinion a different outcome could have weakened the British position and therefore forced England to finally work closer with France and Germany on European Union. It is quite disappointing that Britain has been so limited when it came to working with EU. It seems they are trying to isolate themselves more and more, and stop any progress on the continent. I don't understand what British representatives understand under the word "Union".

18. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

I am pro Union myself & voted "NO" & will always vote "NO" ; but if the desperate last minute promises that the "better together" campaign made regarding more powers for the Scottish Parliment are not met then the pro-Independence/SNP will inevitably grow in strength in their calls for a new referendum on Independence.

I can see it happeng within 15 years.

Of course I blame the WestMinster Labour Party for blocking the reforms required. As they have the most to loose in a reasonable settlement in the devolution of powers. As they can not face the loss of Scottish Labour WestMinster MP having voting rights on English issues, once certain powers that are devolved to the Scottish Parliment. (The West Lothian quesion)

I notice that Scottish Labour are facing another wipe out in the forthcoming WestMinster elections according to recent polls.

19. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

This is the nub! Forcing individual member states to work within the EU. It is a useless corrupt institution that costs the British dearly. The sooner the British political parties acknowledge the will of the British people to leave the EU the better!

20. mihapiha

mihapiha Active Member

That's your opinion, and it's fair enough.

21. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Thankyou for your reply. But I still wish to know why you think "forcing" the English is a good idea?

Don't you feel free will is a better opion?

22. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

Sensible people. They have realised most people don't agree with them.

We're better together.

Scotland voted against independence and that is that for a good many years

23. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Hello my friend, I voted "NO" & will always vote "NO" (unless we can leave the EU on the back of a "YES" vote.)

But living in Scotland I can tell you that the issue of Independence has certainly not gone away for too many years; regardless of how you or myslef may wish it.

There is a justifiable feeling that the WestMinster based political parties do not have the best wishes of the people of Scotland in mind & that is why the SNP will win another landslide victory in the 2015 elections. Despite how some may wish it not to be the case.

I wish it were not the case, but it is certainly a fact that the Independence question will come to the fore in Scotland within our lifetme; unless major reforms are made.

24. mihapiha

mihapiha Active Member

British representatives have been utterly useless when it came to working together with other countries, unless they were forced due to some crisis situation. I think their geographic isolation on the islands made the people quite used to not working with other people(s). Living in central Europe I think we grow up with a bigger need to work with our neighbors. This feature is missing from British representatives, and it would be nice that some circumstance (like a Scottish independence) would create economic consequences in order for them to finally leave the policy of "splendid isolation" from the 19th century and join the EU cause in the 21st century. Britain should be in the driving seat of the EU, and it feels that they are not even in the car!

It seems the British representatives and people only complain about the EU and at the same time are unwilling to work with France and Germany and other EU countries to make it work. An independent Scotland might have created a need in London to finally work with them. I personally would prefer Britain in the EU and in the driving seat than, the EU and UK suffering economically because the UK would leave. I think if Britain was involved in a European cause, we'd easily beaten the US as the world's superpower.

25. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

That's because it doesn't work. Britain is not benefiting from the EU in fact it's stifling commerce and dictating policies which aren't conducive to Britain's interests.
    And now the EU is becoming more and more dangerous as it's foreign policy expands.
    Doubtful
    Why do we want to the worlds superpower again? The last time it cost us nearly everything for little gratitude as far as I'm concerned we should either let the US or whoever else take the lead.
    Let's focus on the economy rather than pretensions of geopolitics.