I met a man who was a product of rape

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by Unifier, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Unifier

Unifier New Member

This blew my mind. I was talking to someone recently who I had actually known for a little while, but he had never disclosed this part of his life. His biological father was a man who had raped his mother. He talked about how, despite the obvious, he was extremely grateful to be alive. And what a great relationship he had with his mother. This is the most wonderfully positive person I know. He lifts the energy of every room he enters. One of those people who just makes everyone feel better after talking to them. This guy grew up to be not only a blessing to his mother but to the entire world around him. And I couldn't help but think how much good would have been taken from the world if his mother had decided to abort him.

As strongly pro-life as I am, pregnancy from rape was never an issue I was all that comfortable with discussing or even exploring. But this conversation really made me examine it deeply for the first time. It really made me look at the other side of the coin that we just never discuss; the person who comes from that rape. The argument is always set up to turn the woman into such a victim that we're not even able to look at anything else. And I'm not saying she's not a victim in the moment. But mentally and emotionally identifying as a victim for the long term is a choice. And it's a self-destructive choice. Because no one can be empowered to do good in their own life or the lives of others if they see themselves as being at the mercy of something that happened to them. Life is hard. It's hard for all of us. We're all given different obstacles to navigate. But if we choose to be strong instead of weak and seek out every silver lining in every dark cloud, think of all the good we can do. Think of how much better we can make the world. As wrong and unfair as it might be that someone put this life inside you against your will, stop and consider all of the greatness this person can share with the world if you imbue them with a proper foundation, a healthy mindset, and a sense of self-respect. You have the power to bring more joy to the world than you ever imagined. It all lies within the meaning you choose to attach to the challenges of your life. Will this be a burden or a gift? Opportunity often comes disguised as hardship.

When a woman chooses to be strong, a mother becomes a hero.

2. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

AAwwww, just sooo ""Hallmark moment...."""

.....by someone who will NEVER be pregnant.

Write greeting cards , be strong ,don't try to control what women do......you'll be happier....be positive, lift people's spirits by leaving them alone....

3. CircleBird

CircleBird Banned

People who support abortion rights don't view the fetus as a person any more than the sperm captured by a condom is a person.

This is the fundamental disagreement between the two camps.

Someone who supports abortion rights would say imagine how many amazing people might have resulted from ejaculations blocked by codoms or pulling or or mastrubating.

4. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

My youngest son may be the product of a rape. My Then wife was very pro-life,( I am not especially) when she was attacked. It involved, as you can imagine, the toughest series of decisions we faced as a married couple. In the end, she decided that she could not go through with an abortion or an adoption. She would have the child on the condition that she never be forced to know as a certainty even if I decided I wanted to. I decided just not to test, but to just love a kid.

5. Unifier

Unifier New Member

I'm sorry you missed the point of my thread. I hope you'll see it more clearly in time. God bless you anyway.

That might be true. But the abortion supporter is using a logical fallacy to justify their position since the opposite of sperm is egg- not fetus. Now if you want to compare masturbation to menstruation and condoms to tampons, I suppose that's a discussion we could have.

You are a great man, and your ex-wife is an incredible woman. Thank you for sharing that story. That took a lot of courage. And through your strength, you guys have set an amazing example to empower others to do the right things when faced with hardship.

God bless, my friend. :thumbsup:

6. FoxHastings

The only point was that you met a man who was the product of rape........not much else to say except "so?".

7. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't think it takes as much courage as it does love and support of your loved ones.

8. CircleBird

CircleBird Banned

It's not that they view those things as the same, it is that they don't see either of those things as people.

A giraffe and a toaster are not the same, but neither is a person.

9. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

There was a point, you just didn't get it. If you don't get it then why respond at all?

Can everyone else guess who the leftists are?

10. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

being the child of rape doesn't mean you have to support rape... without it you would not exist, but rape is still wrong

being a child of someone that choose to have a child, doesn't mean you have to be against giving people the choice

forcing someone to have a child that doesn't want one is also wrong, as is forcing them to abort a child they do want

I would be willing to bet he doesn't support rape... yet without rape he would not be alive today, wrong is still wrong

11. FoxHastings

I am free to respond to posts.

This is the abortion forum not a political forum......."left " and "right" belong in political forums....

- - - Updated - - -

12. Hoosier8

Actually this is a political forum with an abortion sub forum so politics is the over arching base.

13. AlphaOmega

Didn't say you weren't. I said if you don't get it then why respond at all?

Sigh....Forum\Political Issues\Abortion

14. FoxHastings

OK, fine then you can go back and forth "lefties are bad, righties are bad"" trading inane insults back and forth because you must be afraid to actually discuss the facts of abortion.
    But just remember even right wing women have abortions.

- - - Updated - - -

Because asking questions is the way to learn....something totally foreign to RIGHTIES and other Anti-Choicers....

Are you afraid that you might have to back up something you said or just the OP's sock puppet....

15. AlphaOmega

really? where was the question here in this insult?

AAwwww, just sooo ""Hallmark moment...."""

.....by someone who will NEVER be pregnant.

Write greeting cards , be strong ,don't try to control what women do......you'll be happier....be positive, lift people's spirits by leaving them alone....

16. Hoosier8

Lots of women have abortions but there is a fact about life that is important. You either value life or you don't. If you value life, you value all life. If you value life, you realize you sometimes have to take life such as hunting or defense. That does not lessen the value of life, it just means that you have to put some thought into taking life. Same with abortion. If you value life, you approach abortion with care. It is not about a 'woman's right' but about life. Denigrating life by lowering it to someone's rights means that you do not value life but instead value someones decision over life. To me that would not be much different than giving some despot the choice of your life or death based on what they 'felt' at the time.

17. FoxHastings

No, it's about women's rights...you cannot value their lives if you take their freedom and rights away. YOU want to give super rights to the fetus. Why? It's not a person and if it is then women have the right to defend themselves from it.

Want to affix "value" to "life" ?...call the Pentagon , they seem to be confused...

18. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

ever been raped unifier ?

19. Hoosier8

So for you the death of someone is less important that the wishes of another.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of weird. You interested in unifier?

20. FoxHastings

Nope, never said that.

21. Unifier

Unifier New Member

You ask that like it's relevant. You're trying to bait a victimhood narrative which does not empower women. It takes their power away, makes them feel small and helpless, and traps them in a downward spiral of self-pity and self-destruction. It essentially uses their past to take away their future.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your motives are pure. But your strategy is counterproductive. Victimhood begets victimhood. You have to break the pattern to change the paradigm. And the only way to do that is through conscious choice. If you truly believe in the concept of "pro-choice," then that is the choice you should be promoting. For it will serve women much better than the other one you're trying to sell to them.

Failure to recognize something does not make it something else. If it did, then the law's refusal to recognize blacks as people during slavery would have irrefutably established them as permanent non-people. Which would have rendered the entire Civil War completely unnecessary. See the problem?

A scotoma is not a rational defense for an illogical position. It is essentially a tacit admission of arguing with feelings regardless of facts.

Perhaps.

Like I said, when you're ready, you'll see more in it. I hope you get there. Best of luck to you either way.

22. FoxHastings

No, there's nothing more to it than you met a nice person who happened to be a child of rape.....there are probably lots of them and lots of nice people who aren't....

23. Hoosier8

Of course you didn't 'say' it, you implied it.

24. Cady

Cady Well-Known Member Past Donor

Or a martyr.

If a woman were forced or pressured to gestate and give birth to her rapist's child, she would be deprived of that time and chance to gestate and give birth to a wanted child, her husband's child, who might have been a person of greatness.

25. Hoosier8

What? What happened to 'save the children'? Her husband's child might have become a criminal rapist and the one she aborted the savior of mankind.