A Republican Midterm Wave Will Further Sink Black America

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Egalitarianjay02, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/earl-...wave_b_6083902.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

A Republican Midterm Wave Will Further Sink Black America

GOP pundits and some in the media gleefully noted that a few African-American listeners purportedly walked out on President Obama during a campaign speech he made at a Maryland high school on October 19 to boost the candidacy of Maryland gubernatorial Democrat candidate Lt. Governor Anthony Brown. Brown is in a bid to become the nation's second African-American governor. This was more than merely an excuse to poke fun at Obama. The point is that supposedly many African-Americans are so turned off by Obama that they will stay home in droves on November 4. And since black and Hispanic voters typically have a lower turnout during off year national elections than older whites, this supposedly will further shatter the Democrat's chances of staving off the much predicted Republican "wave" of mid-term election victories. The standard prediction is that the GOP is likely to seize control of the Senate, tighten its grip on the House, and ramp up its control of even more state legislatures and possibly governorships.

The GOP has made no secret of what that will mean. It will hammer even harder the Affordable Care Act, permanently shelve any effort at a minimum wage hike, kill any effort to strengthen voting rights protections, further stymie efforts to expand Medicaid, and harden its line against any of Obama's judicial and administration appointee that it deems to liberal or moderate. It will effectively dismantle the firewall that Senate Democrats have erected to keep many of the nutty, retrograde initiatives and bills shoved up by the tea party influence GOP controlled House from getting to the Senate floor.

This would force Obama to do two things to counter the GOP dominance. One is to veto any of the GOP passed bills that gut or peck away at education, health care, and job creation spending and initiatives. The other is to force him to continue to pen more executive orders to get any effective action on vital initiatives. In both cases, the GOP will stand this on its head and scream even louder that Obama is a tyrant, and attempting to usurp congressional authority. There almost certainly will be more dark hints again of impeachment. The aim is to emasculate his presidency.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell crowed the day after Obama won election in 2008 that the GOP would do everything humanly possible to make Obama either a one term president or failing that a failed presidency. That boast wasn't just about stonewalling Obama. It was a continuation of the GOP's high intensity war waged by successive GOP presidents Reagan, Bush Sr. and George W. Bush against the moderate reform agenda of Democrats. What's euphemistically called the liberal, big government, entitlement agenda. That means dismantling or gutting the entire range of health, education, and economic support programs for the poor, working class and minorities.

For the six years of Obama's White House tenure, the GOP controlled House, most GOP senators, and GOP controlled state Legislatures and state houses across the country, have dithered, hectored, obstructed, and torpedoed the range of initiatives from voting rights protections, Medicaid expansion, greater public school funding, job creation programs, criminal justice and immigration reform, blocked the appointment of moderate judicial nominees, and intensified the assault on labor unions and the Affordable Care Act. A GOP compliant Supreme Court has done everything possible to demolish the campaign funding playing field to allow big corporations and Wall Street to bankroll with impunity rock solid corporate and financial industry friendly Republicans and some Democrats.

The GOP's end game is not just its long dreamed of completion of the conservative counter revolution, but to establish a winning game plan for the 2016 presidential election. It's a simple one, pass more vote restrictive laws to drive as many blacks and Latinos from the polls as possible. Then pour tens of millions into an unprecedented campaign of lies, distortions, and all out character assaults on Hillary Clinton in an effort to knock her out the box as the Democrat's best hope to keep the White House. The GOP has even put up a handful of black Republicans to bolster its sham that it's serious about making the GOP more diverse and welcomes black voters with open arms. To further that sham and reinforce its message of Democratic abandonment of blacks, it has churned out position papers that purportedly show that blacks have fared worse under Obama and the Democrats than in years past.

The brutal reality is that a GOP controlled Congress, a GOP White House, a lock down Supreme Court and a majority of GOP controlled state legislatures and governorships would pose something that America hasn't seen in decades, and that's a GOP dominated America. This is a scary prospect and one that will further sink black America. This election is the time to stave off that prospect.

2. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I don't see things getting better for blacks under Obama. This is just another scare tactic to get the democrats most reliable demographic out to vote and keep them in power. Nothing ever gets done under democrat leadership to uplift blacks, but we're not the racist republicans! Fortunately, there are major cracks in the dam, and soon this line of bull will be washed away. The younger generation didn't grow up under Jim Crow laws and don't see it returning under republican leadership, in spite of democrats doom and peril line of lies. If only democrat lose half of the black vote, they can never get a majority. Much of the Hispanic vote is starting to drift the republicans way as well because of democrats radical bigotry and hatred of Christian values such as pro-life and pro-marriage.

[video=youtube;BUSRZo1BE5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o[/video]

3. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

If only you could blame the bad Republicans and it be true. If communities that are in trouble would be honest with themselves and work to change things within, they would be better off. This blame game thing is getting old, sometimes the answer is in the mirror. Who should care more about ones community? The person living there or someone a thousand miles away. Eventually the community needs to stop looking for someone to fix the problem and start fixing it themselves.

4. Riot

Riot New Member

What? Tell me please how good blacks are doing under Obama. What's their unemployment numbers? How many more are on welfare? I can't imagine anyone doing less for blacks than Obama did

5. PatriotNews

Yep. But it is just amazing to me that somehow the OP thinks republicans are responsible for the plight of African Americans, the blight of democrat controlled cities, and the corruption of the leaders of the communities.

6. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

Question #1: What do Republicans have to offer Black America that Democrats aren't doing right now?

Question #2: Where is your evidence that anti-abortion (pro-life) and anti-Gay marriage ("pro-marriage") political stances are Biblical?

7. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

everyone, black or white or green would better off under full dem control for short burt of 8 years, then equal control bipartisan is needed, or the absolute power would corrupt, the same as it did republicans, republicans were so upset when they lost control, they were oblivious to all the damage they did to this country while they had full control under Bush for 6 years

even dems when they do dumb stuff like ban big cup soda's have over-lived their usefulness, time for new leaders

no member of congress should be able to do more than two terms and they should not get a huge retirement when leaving, they should get 401k and social security....

8. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

So then you admit that voting for Democrats all these decades hasn't really done much for Democrats. I agree. Perhaps it's time for them to consider they've been taken advantage and for them to realize that the Democrat 'parental' attitude towards blacks that says, "vote for me and I'll take care of you because you're too dumb to do it yourself," hasn't really worked for them.

9. PatriotNews

Education, employment, economic opportunity, safer streets, strong military defense, more secure safer borders, lower deficits, lower debt, less regulations, religious freedom, individual freedom and personal responsibility, less government, rising wages, pro-family policies, lower energy prices, lower taxes, and basically, all the things we offer to all Americans because we don't pander to special interest groups or play the race baiting racist politics that the left plays.
    These are not political stances in the bible, they are basic moral principles. The Catholic Church has said these are sins. That is where I get my morals. Except by referendum, where gay marriage has failed every time, these are not issues that the voters have decided by voting for politicians, but rather issues decided by un-elected judges in the courts, who do not have the power to write laws.

I like how you call pro-life people "anti-abortion" and gay marriage "pro-marriage". I call pro-abortionists "pro-death" and I also call traditional marriage "pro-marriage" and gay marriage "anti-marriage". So now that we have an understanding of our terms we can continue.

10. PatriotNews

Power is corrupting for both parties, and as Americans we need to be vigilant and hold each party and individuals within each party accountable. I don't agree that we need the dems in full control. We have seen how much damage the did with that in the first 2 years. That is why independents came along with the republicans and the Tea Party in 2010. Obamacare cost the democrats the house. The democrat losing the house in 2010 and now the senate in 2014 is not a pro-republican vote, it is an anti-democrat, anti-Obama vote. The republicans likewise did not lose the house in 2006 because people liked the democrats better, in fact, they lost it in large part because the base, (conservatives) were sick of the GOP overspending and did not come out to vote.

I agree here.

11. FreshAir

Obamacare was compromised cause dems did not have full control and were losing seats in jan 2010, so they had to rush it through and hope to make adjustments later, so I definitely agree it could of been a lot better, when things need done fast (or in this case done at all), full control in the party is best, but most time we do not want fast change, that is why the founders made it so hard, you can't vote for change in just one election, it takes at least 3 in a row

12. PatriotNews

I'll agree with that. Plus, they did accept some GOP changes, but not enough to win over their support, and partly because there were some moderate democrats they had to win over in order to pass it. They didn't have enough democrats on board at first to pass it. In fact it passed with bi-partisan opposition. Not all change is good.

13. FreshAir

agree, moderate dems did not like the individual mandate, bluedog conservative democrats did not like the public option

14. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

The OP said something about a Republican controlled White House. I don't think we will see this anytime soon.:cool:

15. Riot

Riot New Member

It doesn't matter who is in the office. The poor doesn't have a chance in America.
    Let's look at jobs.
    Wall Mart is looking into automating it's jobs
    Lowes is doing the same
    Hotels announced today they will do the same.
    Grocery stores are looking into doing systems that will know what's in the basket and charge you for it. Eliminating jobs.
    Even if these automations only allow these places to rid them on one employee there are thousands of stores and companies that will do the same.
    Sure tech jobs will be created but how many poor will be able to do those type of jobs?

16. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

What race-baiting, racist politics?

Republicans are the ones that I see spreading racism especially against our President.

Democrats are strong on many of the issues that you mentioned and Republicans have demonstrated that they are weak on just about everything you mentioned and don't have realistic solutions to these problems.

My morals are based on reason not religious doctrine. Have you ever thought rationally about why you oppose gay marriage? Is it because you believe that homosexuality is immoral? If so, what do you make of the scientific evidence that people are born gay?

[video=youtube;saO_RFWWVVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saO_RFWWVVA[/video]

If people are born gay would this in any way change your stance on gay marriage?

My reasoning for not opposing gay marriage is because it doesn't effect me at all. How is marriage threatened just because same-sex couples are allowed to marry? By opposing gay marriage you are being intolerant of gay lifestyle and affecting the lives of gay couples which I think is wrong. Democrats who support gay marriage are not anti-marriage they are pro-gay rights.

Indeed.

As far as abortion is concerned it's not ideal, I don't want to kill unborn children. But what about in circumstances where the pregnancy is justifiably unwanted as in the case of rape or dangerous such as if the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother? Why should we put a ban on a medical procedure that ensures that a woman have a choice about what to do with her body? Once the child is born it's an independent life. But in the womb it's dependent on its mother for survival and if the pregnancy is unwanted I don't believe the mother should be forced to carry through with the pregnancy.

17. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

The future doesn't look bright for people doing these types of jobs does it? I wonder if these companies are thinking of the long term consequences of all this automation? If people don't have jobs, who is going to buy their products?:confusion: