The UK has gone soft - time for the BNP to take over PART 2

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by lunecat, Nov 1, 2014.

1. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

I noticed the thread "The UK has gone soft - time for the BNP to take over" has been closed.

thread : http://www.politicalforum.com/western-europe/379553-uk-has-gone-soft-time-bnp-take-over.html

So I re-read the "Rules & guidelines" or Terms & Conditions if you like;

http://www.politicalforum.com/rules.php

In detail, to check if the two posts of that thread contravened any of the rules:

1. ENGLISH IS THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THIS WEBSITE

2. PERSONAL ATTACKS AND INSULTS

3. FLAMEBAITING

4. HARRASSMENT, BAITING, TAUNTING

5. TROLLING OR DERAILING A DISCUSSION

6. THREATS OR INCITEMENT TO VIOLENCE

7. RACIAL, ETHNIC, HOMOPHOBIC, GENDER, OR RELIGIOUS SLURS

8. ATTACKING OR CALLING OUT STAFF OR ADMINISTRATION

9. PROFANITY, ADULT CONTENT, AND GRAPHIC IMAGES

Well I can not understand why the thread was closed, based on the PoliticalForum.com rules.

So, respectfully I ask : Could any Moderator please explain why the thread was closed?

2. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

I have also sent a respectful PM to "flounder" the Admin member who closed the thread, notifying him/her that I have asked this question, & started a new thread.

Hopfully this can be made clear to myslef & anyone else interested in what is acceptable here at PoliticalForum.com

3. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

This is what that thread said......

the uk is being over-run by liberals, fems, gays, immigrants, bourgeoisie etc..

time for some steel to be put back into the country - time to vote for a BNP, UKIP , NazBol coalition?

Pure flamebait in my opinion, an attack on all of those groups mentioned. This does not inspire respectable debate, but rather inflames others to respond in like manner.

Please note rule three
    ''3. FLAMEBAITING

Posts or images that, in the judgment of a moderator or administrator, are specifically intended to provoke emotional responses or personal attacks from other posters, rather than civil discussion, will be considered flamebaiting. ''

Thank you
    flounder

4. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

OK, well thankyou for your reply.

But I think most political opinions are anti someone.

I remember a few years back that a thread would only get closed if it was a direct personal attack on a member of the PF. (rule No. 2)

5. munter

munter New Member

Great thread Lunecat:smile:

let's hope this thread stays open and we can debate 'how the UK has gone soft'

it sure has, and seems to me the outcome of liberal capitalism itself etc...

6. cenydd

cenydd Well-Known Member Past Donor

Not to second guess the moderators, particularly since an answer has been given already, but I notice that you only went up to Rule #9. There are 15 rules, including this one (my added bold):

In addition to the mod cited reasoning, did the wording of that thread topic really 'establish a foundation for respectful discussion and debate' (again my added bold)? I would humbly suggest that it quite probably did not!

'The opening post of a thread sets the topic and the tone of the discussion' (my bold, once again).

7. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

If you read rule two in it's entirety you will see insulting groups or attacking groups is the same. Yes opinions are usually disagreement with somebody, but there is a huge difference with disagreeing and insulting...
    I will let this thread stand as it is not using the same language..

8. munter

munter New Member

ok, great - well the BNP may be a little in the dark ages still, but someone does need to take the country by the reins and sort out the jobs and mass immigration problem - who's going to do that, because the Cons and Labour only care about votes, so they'll do nothing. And UKIP? no way, just sound like old Thatcherites who haven't moved on - Liberal Democrats, that would be a disaster

so a NEW party is needed IMO

9. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I disagree with you on the first statement (note that isn't the same as being anti-you :) ). Many political opinions are presented in a form of being anti-someone when in truth they're anti-something. One of the key elements of good debate is cutting through the personality politics and addressing the actual facts and issues.

It think it'd be perfectly possible to raise the subject implied by the closed thread in a more reasonable way that encouraged a proper debate if that were what a poster actually wanted. I'm sure it was the specifics of the post rather than the general theme that condemned it (and dare I suggest the history of the poster might not have helped).

10. Shagpile

Shagpile New Member

Quite.

Quite.

11. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Here is rule No.2 in its entirety :

"Personal attacks and insults are not tolerated here. When replying to a post, your own post must be about the post to which you are replying, not the poster themselves. Any personal remark about another poster that - in the judgment of a moderator or administrator - could reasonably be regarded as an intentional insult in the context of that discussion will be subject to infraction. Please also keep in mind that simply saying something that's not very nice is not necessarily an insult, nor does the fact that you are offended necessarily mean that you have been insulted.

The rules regarding personal attacks extend not only to individual posters, but to groups as well. For example, calling all Republicans idiots is the same as calling every Republican on the board an idiot, and will not be tolerated. A certain amount of latitude may be granted in discussing the policies and the practices of a political party or other political organization, but posters should be advised that this is thin ice, and be cautious about making remarks that personally insult the members of such parties or organizations. And again, simply saying, "I hate Republicans" does not constitute an attack or an insult against Republicans. "I hate Republicans because they are corrupt" is an attack, because it is attacking the character of all Republicans.

Attacks against public officials, political figures, celebrities, etc, are allowed, as long as they do not violate the guidelines concerning threats or incitement to violence (see below.)
    "

As you can see it refers to personal attacks & insults. Re-reading the original post from the thread "The UK has gone soft - time for the BNP to take over" It says :

"the uk is being over-run by liberals, fems, gays, immigrants, bourgeoisie etc.."

So it lists some demographics of modern society, it doesn't insult them in any way.

An insult might be "gays are beep beep beep" or "liberals are X, Y & Z".

Which it simply doesn't do.

12. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

You may be correct. I have been away for a couple of years & are unfamiliar with several current posters & their general views. It may be that the OP was posted by a member holding opinions with which some (inc Mods) disagree & I may also disagree. But have they broken any rules in posting the origianl OP?

13. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Flounder considered it flamebaiting, hence the reference in his post closing the thread (and in a related manner, there is rule 11 on thread creation as has already been mentioned). There's an element of opinion in making such a judgement but that's what mods are there to do. There's nothing to suggest it's about disagreeing with the political slant though, just the manner in which it was expressed and the nature of responses it was intended to (and would) elicit.

As I said, it's a topic that it should perfectly possible to raise and discuss well within the scope of the rules.