pocket 9mm's are where it's at for ccw.

Discussion in 'Survival and Sustainability' started by galant, Nov 9, 2014.

1. galant

galant Banned

2. galant

galant Banned

3. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

While the Sig is a good gun but it as with most of their products is expensive, a Bersa .380 Combat will do the job but cost far less.
    The Ruger is an excellent little 9mm but handle one before buying, the grip was far too skinny for me and was uncomfortable to shoot for me and several other friends that have fired them.

4. gorte

gorte Banned

the 380 might as well be a .22, for all the "power" that it has (ie, not enough) yes, it will usually suffice, as will the .22, because so seldom does anyone have to do more than show their gun (of any type or caliber) to make the offender flee. Also, missing shots still have lots of deterrent value and even poor hits and feeble loads have a lot more deterrent value.

If, say, $300 difference in cost between 2 guns means anything to you, how can you possibly afford to shoot enough ($300 per 1000 rds) to be any good with your gun? it takes the firing of 100 rds per week just to REMAIN skilled and 5,000 rds (in a period of a few weeks, under the eye of a watchful instructor, for $40 per hour) to get good in the first place.

Me, I want at the least 400 ft lbs from my CCW load, and I feel much better with 500 ft lbs. If I could get 800 ft lbs and still have a "pocketable", controlable gun and ammo combo, I"d prefer that, too. i"ve shot enough critters with the .22 mag rimfire and 223 softpoints to know very well that having an "extra" 600 (or so) ft lbs really does make a difference in the (immediate) outcome.

5. gorte

gorte Banned

unless you have some sort of problem with enfeeblement of your hands, there is no reason to setttle for the mere 200 ft lbs that a "hot" 380 load can develope (in a mere blowback action like the Bersa is cursed with). A pocket 9mm is too unable to adequately expand a jhp, with rare exceptions, like the Corbon lightest jhp loads, to be all that likely to suffice, once the guy has to be shot in the chest to stop him. A hot 357 mag load (125 gr jhp in a 4" barrel) is a lot more likely to be what is needed than is any blowback 380, for a fact.

6. gorte

gorte Banned

you can always have somebody reload some wussy-ammo for your pocket 9mm and your practice sessions, or wear gloves, if the 9mm hurts your hand. I favor a 125 gr lrn at 800 fps, myself, for practice. It has the same recoil as my carry load, but is not at all hard on the gun.

7. CRUE CAB

CRUE CAB New Member

Box stock Glock 19. I can hide it and has plenty of capacity and enough power to stop a man, or down a small deer if needed.

8. NMNeil

NMNeil Well-Known Member

A step back in time is not a bad thing sometimes.
    Consider a S&W M&P340. 13 ounces empty, 5 rounds of .357 Magnum (One of the most powerful handgun rounds ever) for defense, and fires .38 Special rounds for practice.
    As for cost!!!!!. How much is your life worth, or will you be happy as you lie bleeding knowing that the .380 that didn't stop your attacker was a bargain? :confusion:

9. CRUE CAB

CRUE CAB New Member

Hate .380s. Deep deep concealment is about their only plus.
    Otherwise, I would choose a quality .22 semi auto before a .380.
    Because once the shtf for real, .380 ammo will be next to impossible to find.
    9mm will be out there for along time.

10. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

I love snubs and train with them. You're not going to get much more out of a 357 than 38 snub and you're going to pay for it in recoil with 13 oz. Want something more go with 9mm with full moon clips. A snub is designed to put up someones nose.
    BTW how did so many guys get banned in this thread?

11. trucker

trucker Well-Known Member Past Donor

just bought a bersa 380 put on this laser [​IMG] for my sister to carry in her purse and up and back to the ranch house to Bakersfield ca where there is a lot of underclass, the 380 with this ammo [​IMG] has good stopping power
    [video=youtube;wtuT7XqF8V8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuT7XqF8V8[/video]

12. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have started to lean toward the judge for personal defense. Mainly because .410 pellets are far less likely to cause severe damage at 40 yards compared to a pistol round.

Someone robbing you will be close, well within range and keeping most others out of range.

It can still use handgun ammunition also, multi-purpose weapons always take my preference.

13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

First, for QLB-
    Those two were wacko types. One, if not both were admitted felons, with big ideas about fighting Gov. forces.
    For the rest of us- Most of the time, when you read an account of a .380 being used in self defense, the bad guy was shot and ran away. That's well enough for the shooter. Those bad guys usually find, very quickly, that they're bleeding profusely, and can't make it stop. Then they "sneak" to a hospital, where questions are asked, and guys with badges show up.
    I went through conniptions, looking for a pocket nine. Online research is due. This piece about the Sig 938 turned me away:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/jim-barrett/sig-sauer-p938-nightmare-review/
    Well, not that piece. In a follow-up, he says that the gun developed an unforgivable problem at about the 3,000 round mark. Every time it was fired, the first round would cause the magazine to fall out. Unforgivable.
    Everyone I talked to about the Beretta Nano complained about jams. Unacceptable.
    The Ruger PF9 is a copy of the KelTec thing that Zimmy used to get famous. Junk.
    The G43 wasn't out yet. I got the G26, and that works for me.
    Just today, I was showing my G19 to a friend. We got to talking about other things, and I slipped it into my pocket, for lack of anywhere else to put it. Hmm. It fit. It's a "real" gun, with a 15 round mag, and it accepts the 33's just fine.
    There are two good options for carrying a double stack Glock. One is this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671601/clipdraw-belt-clip-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-steel-black
    The other is this:
    http://www.themicholster.com/
    The belt clip makes best sense to carry with an empty chamber, but the MIC holster is intended for fully loaded and ready to go.

14. NMNeil

NMNeil Well-Known Member

A friend lent me a Bersa .380 as I was considering buying one. 3rd shot it stovepiped. Gave it straight back. Ended up buying a Glock 26, not the best choice for a concealed carry as it's as wide as a full size Glock, but it works every time.
    As someone once said, "The loudest sound in the world is a click, when your expecting a bang"
    Forget price, forget make, forget caliber, the first question should be "Will it work if I need it?"

15. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Answer Sig 239. If too expensive Walther PPS.

16. trucker

some barrels inserted in a 1/8 to 16th of a inch to far passed the ramp as the one i bought you need to polish the barrel ramp [​IMG]
    [​IMG] a little with this and all is good after that it will feed perfectly
    BTW bersas are picky with some ammo Winchester walmart flat nose [​IMG] brand jams more then any other

17. trucker

18. NMNeil

NMNeil Well-Known Member

Sorry, if a firearm I am entrusting my life to needs modifications to make it work and will only reliably feed certain types of ammo, I'm not interested.
    A CCW handgun should be like an AK 47. Fill it full of mud, load it with any ammo you can find, and it will still work.

19. trucker

btw stove piping is about 80% chance its the extractor problem [​IMG] either weak spring under the extractor or the hook is worn or defaced

20. trucker

you must of missed this video you shouldnt of gave it back [video=youtube;CnBlVYnhDvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBlVYnhDvs[/video]

21. NMNeil

NMNeil Well-Known Member