Is Mexico becoming a failed state?

Discussion in 'Central & South America' started by longknife, Nov 16, 2014.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

[​IMG]

I think this is a question very much worth looking into. They ARE our southern neighbors and we should be far more concerned with what goes on there than everything going on elsewhere in the world.

We first of all had the rebels of Chiapas who are still around after a decade or so. Then we had “vigilantes” rising up against drug cartels taking over their towns and cities. Now we have massive demonstrations in Mexico City and the state of Guerrero. In spite of all President Nieto's promises for reform, it appears the same old greed and corruption rules.

And the people are getting tired of it. One of the reason so many have fled to the USA.

We should look into more than so-called “immigration reform” and border security. The problem will never be fixed until the USA – and Canada – work more closely with Mexico to try to overcome the ills that beset that country.

However, the one and only true solution to the problem is to remove the billions the drug cartels receive from selling drugs that are illegal in the USA!!! No market – no profit.

Read more of the article @ http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/15/is-mexico-becoming-a-failed-state/

DennisTate likes this.
  2. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

Jeeesh, whatever gave you THAT idea? Mexico is the Afghanistan of the western hemisphere except that it has illegal drugs AND oil. And Bush gave them the impression (probably by telling Vicente Fox directly) that all Mexico has to do to solve its chronic high unemployment problem is put those people on buses bound for the USA.

3. longknife

longknife New Member

Your rabid anti-Pres Bush mindset it showing. Prove that he said anything to Fox like what you claim!

I'll be waiting.

Mexico's problems stem - like many Latin American countries - from the days of Spanish rules and laws that directed power to the elite and not the plebes.

It has absolutely nothing to do with USA policies - except perhaps for the total lack of a sane and comprehensive policy on the part of the Obuma administration. [Oops! Did I say a No No?]

4. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

You might have noticed where I said this: "(probably by telling Vicente Fox directly)"

Now tell me, what does the word "probably" mean to you?

Did I say otherwise? I must stutter or something.

5. longknife

longknife New Member

A comprehensive piece on the problems encompassing Mexico @ http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...piritdrivingmexicosprotestshasdeeproots.html#

Another revolution coming to our south?

- - - Updated - - -

Mexico crime and violence in numbers

A BBC article with videos giving some graphic numbers about the deaths and violence in our neighbor to the south @ http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30053745

$60Million Worth of Cocaine Through Chicago Every Month – From http://www.businessinsider.com/margarito-and-pedro-flores-testimony-2014-11

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Pena Nieto tryin' to use Obama for a fresh start...
    :omg:
    Protest over student massacre overshadows Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto's White House visit
    6 Jan.`15 ~ Protesters angered by Mexico's handling of a student massacre turned out in sub-zero temperatures to denounce the country's president Enrique Pena Nieto during his visit to the White House.

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Missing drug violence victims in Mexico rises to 30,000...
    [​IMG]
    Number of Missing People in Mexico Rises to 30,000 by End-2016
    April 06, 2017 — The number of people in Mexico disappearing under suspicious circumstances, often related to drug violence, rose to 30,000 by the end of 2016, the National Human Rights Commission said Thursday.

8. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

Have you seen the documentary film "Cartel Land?"

I highly recommend it.

http://www.politicalforum.com/index...rump-campaign-and-the-film-cartel-land.449323

The Donald Trump campaign and the film "Cartel Land."

9. VietVet

VietVet Well-Known Member

I fear Mexico portends where we are heading - particularly with GOP "trickle down" malarky - a very few very rich and the bulk hanging on at or near subsistence levels.
    We are catching up to them in government corruption, and our drug problem is taking both countries down.

DennisTate likes this.
  10. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am a Trump supporter........
    but I AM not......... much into the trickle down variation of economics.........

There is now a poster on this forum who I regard as one of the most astonishing intellects I have ever read...........

His name is Econ4Every1........ and I believe that President Trump should get in contact with him in spite of the fact that
    I have nominated him to become National Leader of the DEmocrats.................

Having a brilliant opponent who is polite... .and will not lie........
    is a little piece of heaven.......

11. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mexican citizens are calling for stepped up policing...
    [​IMG]
    Rising Crime in Mexico City Prompts Calls For Stepped-up Policing
    November 1, 2017 – Mexican citizens are calling for stepped up policing in response to rising crime in downtown Mexico City.

12. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Full names of the people on the Mexican government’s official missing persons list found...
    [​IMG]
    Mining Government Data, Activists Reveal Names of More Than 32,000 Missing People in Mexico
    November 22, 2017 – A meticulous data mining operation by campaigners in Mexico has for the first time revealed the full names of nearly all of the people on the government’s official missing persons list.

13. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mexico homicides hit an all time high...

Mexico Homicides Hit Record Level in 2017, Data Show
    December 23, 2017 — Mexico has this year registered its highest homicide total since modern record-keeping began, according to official data, dealing a fresh blow to President Enrique Pena Nieto's pledge to get gang violence under control with presidential elections due in 2018.