Israel Steps up Demolitions of Palestinian Homes

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Margot2, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Collective punishment? This should make Israelis very uncomfortable.... and it contributes NOTHING towards peace.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article3977044.html

Israel Steps up Demolitions of Palestinian Homes

JERUSALEM —

Israel said Monday it has sent notices to the families of several Palestinians in the West Bank implicated in attacks against Israelis to vacate their homes ahead of their impending demolitions.

The development indicated that Israel is intensifying its much maligned policy of punitive destructions of homes of suspected attackers.

The assaults the attackers are accused of involved deadly intent against civilians — ramming vehicles into commuters at Jerusalem light rail platforms, for example — rather than just throwing stones or Molotov cocktails at Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli military said that in recent weeks, an unspecified number of notices warning of impending house demolitions have been issued to Palestinian families in the West Bank, whose relatives had carried out the attacks.

The military said that families have 48 hours to petition against the notices. Should they fail to do so — or should the petitions be rejected — the houses would become subject to immediate demolition.

Also Monday, the Israel Police said they designated several homes in east Jerusalem for destruction or sealing, but were awaiting final government approval before going ahead.

The demolitions are based on instructions from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who earlier this month said the home destruction policy would be implemented in response to a wave of Palestinian attacks against Israelis in Jerusalem, mostly against the background of tensions over a disputed holy site in the city.

The policy was largely suspended in 2005, after security authorities questioned its efficacy, but many Israelis continue to back it.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said police were now prepared to carry out house destructions or sealings in east Jerusalem "as soon as a final government decision is given."

He did not say how many homes would be demolished.

Meanwhile, the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem said that four east Jerusalem homes belonging to relatives of Palestinian attackers had recently been visited by police, apparently in preparation for their demolition or sealing.

B'Tselem has denounced the punitive demolitions policy.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article3977044.html#storylink=cpy

2. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is not justice, this is not even a deterrent, this is revenge pure and simple.

I was derided on this forum earlier in the week for suggesting that "maybe sometimes Israel gets what she deserves" ok perhaps I went a bit too far. I do not nor will I ever condone attacks on innocent civilians. However when you see a state punishing civilians for nothing more than guilt by association it is hard not to have some empathy with those who strike back against military targets.

Israel occupies the West Bank, it allows settlements against international law, is armed resistance against Israel wrong?

3. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

This has been going on since I was a girl.. and that's been awhile.. At this point I would like to see the Palestinians shame Israel with passive resistance.. Nothing else over the years has stopped the ethnic cleansing and theft of property.

4. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

I accept what you say, and I agree that a period of passive resistance at this time is the way to go but,

If I was a 17-25 year old who has just seen his family home destroyed because of something his elder brother had done I do not think I would be satisfied with passive resistance. Yes with many years of life and experience I can agree with you, would the 17 year old hothead I once was, probably not. Israel and its supporters must understand that it bears some responsibility for the actions taken against her. Somehow the cycle of violence must be stopped, I do not believe that Jewish people and Arab people are natural enemies, the persecution of the Jews by Muslims pales into insignificance when compared to the appalling persecution historically perpetrated by Christians of the Jewish race.

5. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

I understand.. Every family in Palestine has lost family and friends, homes and property to the European immigrants.. I don't know how the young ones could be influenced to non violent resistance, but something has to give.. I have watched more than 60 years of this insanity.

6. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

Change "Attacking" to murder, those that make a decision to forfeit their own lives and murder innocent ppl should know they condem thier family house, they destroyed homes and so theirs will be destroyed as well, its the only deterrent a suicide murderer could have.

7. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

I think its a very good deterrent in patriarch societies.

Not guilt association, its a deterrent, what could you possibly threat a suicider with that has some legal sense to it ? jailing his family? hang them like in some dictatorships ? he lived there, he got paid from Hamas/PLO for his sacrifice ? his house is destroyed.

It was us or them to the Palestinians up until 1988 so they cant use that excuse of settelments in the WB as cause to war till then, from that moment on the only solution could come from agreements. we had something going in the 90's till Hamas blew it up. get rid of Hamas and talk to us.

So is armed "resistance" wrong ? its your choice, bare in mind it comes with a price.

8. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

The Nazis used collective punishment.. Democracies don't.. We have law enforcement and courts ....

9. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

We had that with Rabin, Hamas destroyed it with terror attacks till the ppl stopped beliving in that peace.

10. Riot

Riot New Member

And the IRS to punish your enemies

11. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

They are not fit to address suicide murderers, that's why Democracis lose fighting terrorists. mark my words - ISIS will become a state and the West will come into terms with them.

12. therooster

therooster Banned

Passive resistance , I bet ya never seen that . That is why it is bombs away. At least Israel gives them a heads up, they just don't shoot rockets at them for no reason.

13. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt Active Member

These homes belonged to ruthless terrorists, who murdered in cold blood innocent Israelis.
    One of their victim was a 3-months-old Jewish baby, another one a Gentile (Druze) police officer.

14. Riot

Riot New Member

Hasn't the UN told them to stop already?
    http://youtu.be/U3by9FoEFB8

15. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

The Druze are our brothers, we are lucky to have them with us, bravest fighters I met.

16. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

I doubt ISIS will succeed... Everyone is against them and the Arab world has no use for a Caliphate.

- - - Updated - - -

In the early 1950s my scouting troop collected warm clothes for the children of Palestinian refugees. Some of the Christian Palestinians who had fled in 1948 went to our church in Arabia..

17. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt Active Member

The UN has never told the terrorists to stop.

18. Gilos

Gilos Well-Known Member

They just need top hold to what they already got, chances are they will gain more, either way the west will spend only so much bombs over there and it wont leave it open for Iran to claim it - so it will come to terms with them.

19. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

So why did you destroy 60 Druze villages in the Golan Heights?

Israel's intentions have never been secret.. endless provocations, theft of land - human rights followed by retaliation..

20. HBendor

HBendor New Member

Hello Margot2 this one is dedicated to you and all the followers who kiss your ring occasionally.

ABBAS ADVISER ISSUES BLOODCURDLING THREAT TO 'PALESTINIANS WHO SELL LAND TO JEWS'

NOVEMBER 17, 2014 · 12:00 AMAuthor(s): Ben Cohen
    Source: algemeiner.com.

http://unitycoalitionforisrael.org/uci_2014/?p=12802

A prominent official of the Palestinian Fatah movement who is also an adviser to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has issued a bloodcurdling threat to “Palestinians who sell land to Jews” – and it’s far from being the first time that this same official has engaged in violent, incendiary rhetoric.

Sultan Abu Al-’Einein, who advises Abbas on “civil society organizations,” told the Iranian Arabic-language channel Al-Alam TV that Palestinians who sell their land to Jews “should be be killed in the streets and hanged on electric poles.”

During the interview, translated by the Middle East Media and Research Institute (MEMRI,) a snarling Abu Al-’Einein praised the man who attempted to murder Israeli activist Rabbi Yehuda Glick, saying that “the way to fight the Israeli occupation is the way of the martyr Mutaz Hijazi.”

As his voice reached fever pitch, Abu Al-’Einein declared that any Palestinian “who sells even an inch of our Palestinian land must be killed in the streets and hung on an electric pole.”

Abu Al-’Einein has made several similarly violent statements already this year.

In June, the Palestinian news agency Ma’an reported that the Palestinian Authority had rejected a call from five U.S. congressmen to fire Abu Al-’Einein after he praised Salam Al-Zaghal, the murderer of Eviatar Borovsky, a 31 year old father of five from the Jewish community of Yitzhar in the West Bank. On that occasion, Abu Al-Einein also lauded the mother of the murderer, with the words, “blessings to the breast that nursed him.”

In July, Abu Al-Einein called for an all-out war against Jewish residents of the West Bank. “Let every hour of the settlers’ presence on our land be a source of threat and terror for them. Let us deprive their lives of security, so that the Palestinian land becomes a minefield against the occupation,” he urged.

21. HBendor

HBendor New Member

ABBAS ADVISER ISSUES BLOODCURDLING THREAT TO 'PALESTINIANS WHO SELL LAND TO JEWS'

Whah, whah, whah... you mean to say that the Land is not stolen...? Whah, whah, whah...

so why everyone here say the Land is stolen.... I want to know how you could steal real estate. You can;t put it in your pocket and walk away with it, you cannot load it on a truck... If we Jews steel Land we must be great magicians.

22. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Abbas didn't assume office until 2005.

23. Rickity Plumber

Rickity Plumber Banned

It is not collective. It is destroying the homes of the families of known Palestinian attackers. Maybe the attackers should think twice next time before causing mayhem and destruction. Ya think that a normal person would walk the straight and narrow if they knew their family's home will be leveled if they are caught. But then again, Palestinians do not have normal thought processes if they continue this.

24. HBendor

HBendor New Member

Why do you tell us that? From what date to today's date... This man was supposed to rule for 4 years ... NO?

25. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

the settlers and their Israeli govt. co-conspirators have become very good at stealing land.