Cops raid wrong home, injure 2 year old

Discussion in 'Law & Justice' started by Battle3, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

Once again, those brave men in blue have been at work - and its always dangerous for people when cops are at work. This time, all decked out for war, the cops stormed into the wrong house, tossed around some grenades, rounded up a law abiding and innocent family, injured their 2 year old child by tossing a grenade into his bedroom despite warnings from the family, and then harassed the family for 4 hours. No arrests, no charges.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/11/19/cops-bombed-the-wrong-guys-family-says.htm

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=48820

2-Year-Old Hospitalized After Police Raid Wrong Home, Threw Grenade into His Bedroom

VENTURA, Calif. (CN) - A 2-year-old boy was burned by a police smoke bomb in a terrifying "no knock" raid at the wrong home, his family claims in court.
    The boy's parents, Jose and Paulina Salinas, sued the City of Oxnard and its Police Department in Superior Court on Monday.
    The parents and their three minor children seek damages for assault, battery, trespass, false imprisonment and infliction of emotional distress.
    Jason Benites, assistant chief with the Oxnard Police Department, told Courthouse News in an email that the department could not comment on pending litigation.
    However, he sent a press release from April, which reported that a 2-year-old boy had been injured during a "multi-location search warrant operation" conducted by several agencies to combat gang activity.
    "At one of the search warrant locations, a 2-year old sustained minor injuries," the statement said. "The child was transported to a local hospital, where he was treated and released."
    In their lawsuit, the Salinas family says they were sleeping on April 16, around 4 a.m., when they were awakened by scuffling footsteps and vehicles outside their condominium. When Jose Salinas drew the curtains of his bedroom window, he saw the barrel of a policeman's gun pointed at him.
    Police broke the front windows of the home and set off three smoke bombs. Police then crashed through the front door with guns drawn, yelling, "Get down and put your hands to your head!"
    With laser guns pointed at them, Paulina and Jose Salinas were handcuffed and put to their knees. Their 10-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son were shoved into a corner.
    As police approached one of the bedrooms, Paulina Salinas and her two older children told officers there was a 2-year-old in the room. Police ignored them, told them to cover their ears, and threw a smoke bomb into the room as 2-year-old Justin Salinas stood near the door.
    When the smoke bomb detonated, shrapnel from the blast hit Justin in the foot, causing first-degree burns and glass cuts.
    The family was detained for four hours although "there was no resemblance of any claimant to any of the previous tenants at the location," according to the complaint.​

At least the cops didnt kill one of the children by "accidentally" putting a bullet in her brain as cops did to 7 year old Aiyana Jones, killed during a no-knock raid to the wrong house. No cops were penalized for that "accident".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/10/detroit-police-girl-killed/2408763/
    Jones, 50, testified that she was on the couch May 16, 2010, with 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones in the front room of her home on Detroit's east side. The girl's head was closest to the door, and Jones' head was on the other end of the couch when she began hearing "a lot of commotion." The front window broke, she heard officers yell "police," and the door was kicked open. It all happened simultaneously, she said. Then she heard a boom and Jones said she rolled onto floor.

She was on her stomach on the floor looking at the front door and saw police rushing in, she testified. "As soon as they came in, the gun was just pointed right there at Aiyana's head," she said. Then an officer pulled the trigger.

"I seen the light leave out of her eyes, and the blood started gushing out her mouth and she was dead," Jones said.​

But no cops were injured, and as always thats all that counts. 7 and 2 year old children are so dangerous, the cops were lucky to get out uninjured.

Arent we fortunate to have the cops manning that thin blue line between Citizens and dangerous criminals.

Now, if we just knew which side of that line the cops are on..........

2. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Yes we are and should you ever travel to the places of the world that lack this you will ...without a doubt ...instantly feel a sense of terror.

Mind if I give you something to think about?

No knock warrants are necessary in areas where criminal activity is so frequent and so bad that announcing to occupants that the police are here is abundantly more often to result in violence than not.

Its within these communities where criminals infest and are supported by the complete lack of corporation between otherwise innocents and law enforcement.

So rather than sit back and play Monday morning quarterback passing hateful judgement and proclaiming on every police officer is just out to get you, why not instead turn to the communities and ask just why in the (*)(*)(*)(*) are they tolerating and idolizing rampant criminal behavior?

3. Russ103

Russ103 Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Laser guns" and detonating "smoke bombs"?? :roflol: :roflol:

4. Jango

Jango New Member

Why? If there are no cops, and therefore no one to enforce the law, what's stopping me from carrying an AA-12 around everywhere I go, or hiring a posse that carry AA-12's?

I've been waiting years for someone to challenge me intellectually.

No knock raids are like carrying out the death penalty: those doing so better make (*)(*)(*)(*)ing sure that they're right on all fronts.

And in places like L.A., Atlanta, South Boston, South Chicago, Detroit, Harlem, the Bronx, Miami, etc etc the cockroaches eat themselves more than anyone else. Cops don't need to shoot people to kill them, a $20 phone card will do the trick, so will getting someone to snitch and then that information for some reason becoming public knowledge.

Tolerating? What are they supposed to do, become vigilantes? Yeah, that makes sense. Get the community together for a good ole time:
    [​IMG]

That way, they'll take the law into their own hands and become criminals themselves.

And when you stop and really think about it, how does a police department maintain their business model. They have to raise money, just like any other function, even if it's necessary. The way the police keep getting money is by enforcing the law. And who breaks the laws you ask? Well, that'd be everyone the law applies to. So in reality, they are out to get us if they're given a chance. Why? Because we're what keeps them from being unemployed. They need and want us, man.

5. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

1. I'm perfectly ok with you carrying that weapon around provided you aren't some gibs me dat gang banger. In fact, I LOVE the AA-12 I think its a great defensive weapon when challenged by packs of roaming ferals.

2. Ya they should make sure they've got the best intel possible. But then how often will some gibs me dat hold up in his bae bae mamis house?

3. Hey I've heard worse ideas.

4. How about, when the police show up, they say "ya tyrone down the hallway deals crack and pimps women" instead of "fug da po leaze fug da po leaze fug um"?

6. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

I know its terrible that we have to put police in this situation because there are criminals in our society that makes these situations necessary. Out of curiosity, who would you call if someone was breaking into your home while you were there? Surely you arent a hypocrite so Im wondering who people in your situation call for help in these situations?

7. Jango

Jango New Member

1. U.S. Marine.

2. That depends on the ho, yo.

3. You don't like them? They do work, you know.

4. See my ideas - that'd be considered snitching. And we know what happens to snitches.

- - - Updated - - -

"911 what is your emergency?"
    "There's a dead intruder leaking on my floor."

Steady Pie and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Battle3

First, I have been to some of the truly dangerous places of the world, and not as a member of the military or law enforcement. On an anonymous forum, you should never assume something about the people you are posting to, and you should never make an argument based on your personal (and unverifiable) experiences.

Second, no knock warrants are necessary in certain conditions. The problem is that no knock raids have become standard procedure and are used unnecessarily. The cops obsession with "officer safety", the cops us-vs-the-world mentality of being at war, and frankly the desire of some cops to be the big bad "operator" has led to police departments exaggerating the risks and going to extremes in dealing with the public.

Third, there are some good cops, but the law enforcement system is broken and even the "good" cops are bound to follow procedures that are dangerous to the public.

All cops voluntarily joined the police department, knowingly accepted the risks, and swore an oath to protect and defend the public. The cop undergoes extensive training to allow him to differentiate between the bad guy and the good guy, and to react properly and lawfully in stressful situations. When a cop kills an innocent person through accident, failure to follow policy, mistake, or on purpose, the cop should be severely penalized.

The fundamental basis for the police is to protect the Citizen and the Citizen's property, the Citizen's safety takes priority over the safety of the cop.

9. Battle3

So blame the criminal because the police went to the wrong house and injured a 2 year old? Your argument is that because there is crime all police abuse, excesses, and mistakes are justified.

A good honest question.

I do not call the police during the actual event. I handle it. If I need help, I call my neighbors, but my neighbors will probably show up if they hear the commotion.

There are a couple of reasons I do not rely upon the cops.

I live in a rural area, it would take the cops quite some time to get to me, even if I gave them my address. I had a new neighbor call 911 several years ago, she had to call 3 times but when the cops arrived almost 20 minutes after the first call, all of us had already heard the noise and went over and took care of the problem. Remember the old saying: when seconds count cops are minutes away.

If I was not at my house but in the woods or a pasture or field, chances are high that only a local would know how to get to me.

That assumes the cell phone even works. We don't have full area coverage. A lot of people carry radios so they can call friends and family - but not cops.

And last but not least, I do not trust cops, as you may have guessed.

And as you snarkily insinuated, I am not a hypocrite, I am also not helpless, and I am also not without the means to adequately defend myself and my family and protect my property. Where I live, we are more self-reliant than many in this pampered nation..

10. Jahnny B

Jahnny B Member

Personally i dont think its fair to monday morning qb these types of things. If your not there and doing this, then yiu have no idea whats going on. Im sure theres more to this then an "oops wrong door" as this over simplified article tries to pass it as.

And on a side note, i also dont think its fair for people to judge police actions unless you have had or have real knowledge of our training. You dont realize that we have to think on a whole other level then other people. We have to think and react in split seconds and make sure that what we do is not only legal but safe for everyone unless deadly force is warranted. Read beyond the media headlines and think for yourselves. I promise you 99% of cops dont go into work thinking, "i feel like beating people up or maiming some kids today....."

11. AlphaOmega

Its not about being self reliant, if someone comes on your property and you shoot them if you don't call the police you will be on trial for murder. So what do you do and in what state is this legal where you can shoot someone on your property then call your neighbors but not the police?
    So if you car was stolen you would call your neighbors? How does your insurance company handle that?

12. Battle3

LOL So you move the goal posts now that my answer did not meet your bias.

You asked "Out of curiosity, who would you call if someone was breaking into your home while you were there?" As I answered, I would deal with the problem myself for 2 main reasons - I do not rely on the cops for protection, and the cops would never get there in time.

On to your new questions...

I have never had to shoot anyone, but if I did I would certainly call the police for the very reason you mentioned, not to have the cops deal with the invaders, but as bureaucrats to document so I don't have to deal with false accusations after the fact.

If my car was stolen, and assuming I was not there, I would inform the police. In that situation, my interaction with the cops is minimal, and cops roaming the streets have a better chance of finding the thief than I do.

And now I'm sure you make some claim that I'm a hypocrite since I will use the cops for some function. Wrong, as distasteful as it is, sometimes a person has to deal with the devil.

13. AlphaOmega

bwahahahah
    I didn't move any goal posts. So basically you hate cops so much but would call them if you wanted them to get you car back. You are a hoot! Thanks for admitting that. That was exactly what I was looking for.
    I didn't make any claim. You did it for me.

14. Battle3

LOL, you did exactly as expected - troll and spin until you get some nit that allows you to claim victory and retreat with some sense of dignity.

Despite knowing exactly what you were up to, I responded honestly. You cannot say the same.

15. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

3 parties are responsible.

1. The state
    2. The police involved
    3. The police union

16. AlphaOmega

Now go back and read the original comment. I clearly said "these situations" indicating plurality. If someone was breaking into your home you would call your neighbor and put an untrained person in possible danger or rely on yourself (highly intelligent thinking there), however in the case of your car getting stolen you would happily call the Police because you want them to help you get your money back. A real man would stand by his principles and suck up the loss of a car and go make payments on two cars.

17. Battle3

Now lets see if you are not a hypocrit and take your logic a little further.

You base your arguement on the idea that if a person rejects one aspect of an organization then that person must reject the entire organization and not utilize that organization in any way.

You make it an all or nothing position.

Lets apply that to you. Do you completely accept everything the government does? You agree with all taxes, you completely support the Patriot Act, you have no issue with the government paying for abortions, you are totally supportive of all aspects of govt gun control law, you support the invasion of Iraq, you supported obama's plan to go to war with Syria? If you reject any of those activities, or any other action of the govt, then by your logic you must reject all govt services.

Second, on an anonymous forum, its always foolish to make an arguement based on what you assume is your readers ability, or to base an arguement on personal experience (which is unverifiable). Since I almost never provide personal information, you don't know my ability, or my neighbors. For all you know, I am a cop who is disgusted with the current trends in law enforcement, or maybe military who has seen more combat and been in more stressful situations than any typical cop. Or possibly I was military and became a cop after leaving the service. You dont know.

18. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

When Ms Catherine Johnson was murdered the cops tried to set up the scene and claim that she was dealing drugs and shot at them when they came through the door. One of them even took a bullet from another officer to make it look believable, the cops were dirty and tried to cover it up. So how would have my thoughts changed on that situation had I been there?

19. AlphaOmega

I don't give two flying (*)(*)(*)(*)s who you are or what your capabilities are. Yeah SURE you have all sorts of high stress combat but cant get your own car back without asking the very same people you have been vilifying for help.
    And no I don't agree with all things govt does but then again Im not flat out rejecting government now am I. So you like the police only when they help you retrieve your stuff that you cant get back. Given your avatar, I find it hilarious you would call the police to get you stolen car back. I guess youre not so scared of them after all are you.

20. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's very fair. As an Infantryman, if I were told that a little girl is in the next room, I'm not throwing (*)(*)(*)(*) into there. Of course we didn't throw (*)(*)(*)(*) around anyway because using chemical weapons is a war crime and I don't know why you'd throw smoke into a room before entering it unless you wanted to choke people out of there and deny yourself entry for however long it takes for the smoke to dissipate. Good way to (*)(*)(*)(*) up a house though, and I could see it being useful in a war as a last resort, but it sure as hell doesn't seem necessary for a local police force carrying out a raid against a non-violent family. These no-knock raids have go to be capped. They cannot be the standard. I know you law and order guys think we need the cops bend the rules and be completely brutal to catch the bad guys but this isn't the Soviet Union. While I hope you people are never the victim of a wrong address no-knock raid, I think the experience would open your eyes to just what you are supporting. Just pray they don't shoot your dog, your family, or yourself while they (*)(*)(*)(*) up your house and treat you like (*)(*)(*)(*) for a few hours. The US is not a war zone and should not be treated as such.

21. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

Who else would you call? The police serve a purpose, and they deal with some tough issues. That doesn't mean we should not hold them accountable when they go to far. Why are you against accountability for government employees, especially armed ones? I can see some leniency in a war zone where it's hard to tell civilian from enemy and you are literally in an active two way range, but rarely does police work involve exchanges of fire. There is no justification for this kind of bull (*)(*)(*)(*). The average citizen should have nothing to fear from the cops, but that is not the case. Owning a house is all it takes for the cops to break in, kill one, and leave without any accountability what so ever.

22. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

\

Would you like us to start threads on ALL the millions of cases where cops have actually saved kids? Families? And placed their lives on the line to do it? Because I can guarantee you.....there are MANY more of my kinds of examples than the kind you just posted.

YES, sometimes cops make mistakes. Sometimes the callers who report it make mistakes. A policeman's life is fast-moving quick decisions.....life or death decisions. I can guarantee you that policemen do NOT want to harm any child and to make it sounds as if they do is disgusting.

23. smevins

smevins New Member

They are not necessary in these situations because the police have alternatives to kicking in the doors at 4 am in the first place. That they way until the middle of the night should tell them that the chances of a child being on the premises go up significantly.

24. Battle3

LOL I see you are distraught at finding you are a hypocrit. As the Bible says, judge not lest you be judged by the same standard you use on others.

25. Battle3

Is that an excuse to exonerate all cops from all mistakes? It is because cops have the power of life and death that they must be held accountable. Do you want poorly trained or incompetent or corrupt people working as cops? Thats what you get when there is no accountability. The training should prepare qualified people for the job so that when they are in difficult situations they will make the proper decisions and take the correct action. The training (before and during the cops career) should also weed out those who are not capable of performing the job.

And when a cop makes a mistake, he should be punished as a reminder to the rest that they better stay alert and sharp. And if living up to the demands of the job are too much for someone, then they better find another job before they get confused in a stairwell and kill an innocent man, or run into a room and shoot a 7 year old in the head.

But when a cop is negligent and hurts someone, then he should be punished above and beyond the normal punishment. In the case of this OP, the cop saw it was a family, he saw 2 children who were already rounded up, he was told by all family members there was a child in the room - and he ignored it all and tossed the grenade. Thats negligence at best, its certainly incompetence.

And as happens in so many cases, the cops are not punished. Mr. Grenade was not punished, the cop who shot Aiyana Jones in the head was not punished. In fact, the system rallied around them and protected them.

What would happen if you accidentally shot a 7 year old in the head, or tossed a smoke bomb in that childs room? You would be in jail. The mayor, the PD, the union, would not be protecting you, they would be out to get you.

And thats the other tragedy, cops are above the law, and that invites misconduct and sloppy work and corruption.

And I just read a pro-cop story, I'll start on OP on that one......