"They wont take your guns" Yea right. Confiscation starts Buffalo, NY

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by freemarket, Nov 22, 2014.

1. freemarket

freemarket New Member Past Donor

To all the liberals who said "Yea like they're going to go door to door to take your guns" Remember we said yes. Here it is.
    "In Buffalo, New York, police have begun confiscating legal guns whose owners have died. Police Commissioner Daniel Derrenda said the move is designed to ensure guns “don’t end up in the wrong hands.” The action is in compliance with a New York state law that has until now rarely been enforced.

The police department is tracking death certificates in order to identify deceased gun owners. Under the law, the estate of the deceased person has 15 days to either dispose of the guns or relinquish them to authorities, who are permitted to hold the weapons for up to two years. If family members violate the law, they can face misdemeanor charges and up to a year in jail.

Opponents of the action argue that 15 days is hardly adequate time for grieving relatives to inventory guns and make informed decisions as to their disposal. Wills will not be probated in that time, so families may not know who will inherit. Buffalo defense attorney Dominic Saraceno expects the law will be challenged in court at some point. He worries family members might just turn over guns, without knowing their financial value.

These gun collections can value into the hundreds of thousands. If a police officer came to my door without a warrant signed by a judge, I’m not giving them anything. Most people don’t know that and get intimidated.

Tom King, president of the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, says:

They’re quick to say they’re going to take the guns. But they don’t tell you the law doesn’t apply to long guns, or that these families can sell (their family members’) pistol or apply to keep it.

Second amendment advocates point out that in this case, registration does lead to confiscation. BearingArms.com responded to the action by saying authorities could “use the relative’s pistol permit as the proverbial camel’s nose under the tent to get at every firearm they can, hoping to remove all the firearms from the home while the family is at their most vulnerable.”

Buffalo police have acted aggressively in the past to round up guns in the city. One buy-back program netted 840 guns this past August. Critics point out that most people who cooperate in these programs are law-aiding citizens, not criminals who use guns. Mayor Byron Brown responded to the critics:

I say to those critics, again, if we can get one of these guns off the streets that could be used to commit a crime or injure a member of our community, it’s a good thing.

The Erie County Sheriff’s Department has said it does not plan to follow the city of Buffalo’s lead."
    http://therighttobear.com/buffalo-p...scating-legal-guns-from-law-abiding-citizens/

2. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

Unless work sends me there against my will, I will never set foot in New York. That's why guns shouldn't be registered. I might actually want to keep my grandfather's guns.

3. galant

galant Banned

ifyou don't pull the trigger when it's time to shoot, it'll happen to YOU, too.

4. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

he's dead, so they haven't taken his guns.

only folks with a handgun permit in NY can possess a handgun.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Hide them and it won't be a problem.

6. galant

galant Banned

they won't take mine without bleeding (a lot). That's a gd public promise.

7. Ronstar

no one is frightened. :)

8. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is why it's hard to sympathize with gun nuts.

9. galant

galant Banned

nobody NEEDS to be frightened, unless they ARE trying to take my guns. I don't care if those kind are scared or not, just so they bleed, PLENTY when they try it.

10. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

If you are dead what will you do

11. Ronstar

lol!!! too funny. :)

12. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

"From my cold dead hands"

Yep! Why not? It might also encourage Grandpa and old Uncle Bill to give away/distribute that valuable gun collection BEFORE they become too demented to differentiate between a squirrel and the local doctor

13. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

So tell me - how does that work?

Someone knocks on your door and you shoot them just on the off chance it is someone wanting to confiscate your guns? Are you going to march into the police station in Buffalo and start shooting just in case they decide to take your guns when you are dead??

Come on - interested parties want to know this stuff!!

14. freemarket

Long guns don't need a permit. Please read before posting. You don't seem to understand how "family" gun ownership works and has worked for 100s of years. They belong to families not individuals.

15. freemarket

Illogical. Of course the hiplophobics are scared. Why do you think HLS told them to hide under a sturdy desk with a pair of scissors and pizz them selves
    - - - Updated - - -

I lost all mine in an unfortunate boating mishap. :wink:

16. freemarket

That's the funny part is we conservatives aren't big self pity, sympathy needers. Save your sympathy or your fellow libbys.

17. freemarket

"Yep! Why not? It might also encourage Grandpa and old Uncle Bill to give away/distribute that valuable gun collection BEFORE they become too demented to differentiate between a squirrel and the local doctor "

Yea because everyone knows its Grandpa and old Uncle Bill doing all the shootings. :brainless:

18. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

and of course, totalitarians agree with all these laws............
    This "I do it, so you have to also" attitude will destroy free thought and will............ Instead or saying they don't so I wont......That's free will and freedom of choice

19. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm talking about the cause of gun rights. Gun rights advocates always seem so angry. When they brag that they'll murder anyone who tries to take their gun, it puts normal people off.

20. Ronstar

the law says that if you inherit handguns from someone, you have a limited time period to sell the guns or turn them into the state police.

NYS requires a permit to own a handgun, and i totally support this.

its called "States Rights".

21. freemarket

Its us normal people that keep the criminals guessing and government from going to far. Its the history challenged hoplophobics that cant seem to understand numbers and how they work.
    63% makes us the "normal" not that it matters in our republic.
    " “The number [who approved of gun ownership] was 35 percent, 14 years ago. It went up to 42 percent in 2004 and 47 percent in 2006, before billowing to 63 percent in 2014, according to the poll. The percentage who believe guns in homes make them more dangerous has also been on a decrease since 2000, when it was 51 percent; it now stands at 30 percent. ”

22. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Isn't this what the NRA wants? They're quite literally taking them from their cold dead hands. That being said, I get the law. It makes sense. Should there be some more time for families to figure out the value of guns and get said guns? Maybe, let's let the courts decide.

23. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

I believe eminent domain applies to any private property taken for public use.

24. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

Have you listened to conservatives lately?

"ZOMG! Someone said 'Happy Holidays' to me instead of 'Merry Christmas!' They obviously hate us god-fearin' Christian folk!!"

25. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

and of course you will turn all of yours in if the NY decides you are incapable of owning one. What a good little soldier.................