my "shtf" guns are my regular guns.

Discussion in 'Survival and Sustainability' started by galant, Nov 22, 2014.

1. galant

galant Banned

I set up my 'regular time" guns that way, for good reasons. The short barreled AR15 and .22lr conversion unit, with silencer, is the most versatile longarm that ever existed. At 4 lbs, the Carbon fiber version of it is so lw that there's no reason to not have it constantly in hand or on the assault sling.

When everyone else has a longarm, the pistol won't amount to a hill of beans, so my daily ccw pocket 9 suffices as my "shtf pistol".

The AR serves just fine for deer/hogs to 150 yds(same as a 30-30 and the KY rifle. Pop on the right upper receiver (if I wanted) and it's competitive with 308 autos for 1000 yd matches and BEATS them all the time at the 600 yds matches (I'm not interested, but this is a fact). It's fine for varmints, and the .22 unit is fine for small game. If I needed to take elk or moose or bears, I'd just handle it like a bowhunter, get inside 50 ydsand brain them with a 223 softpoint.

2. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Good compromise. Makes sense.

3. galant

galant Banned

yep, even if the odds of them occurring were the same (not even close, of course) but I'd far rather have to brain a charging bear with my AR15 than have to fight men with a mere bolt action or shotgun. Yes, the AR has limitations, as does everything and everybody, but with a silencer, it's a superb fighting and foraging rifle. I'll take the "sport" shortcomings, in order to have the real deal if I ever actually NEED a longarm.

4. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

It is simple common sense to depend on the guns you are proficient with in whatever crisis situation you may face, an emergency is not the time to learn how to use that nice gun you bought. I would only suggest that any well rounded basic load should include guns/weapons that can cover both hunting and defensive needs, that would include, in my book, at least one AR with at very least 4 mags, a shotgun, a small caliber rifle such as a .22 or .17 (or conversion kit as suggested), and at least one handgun with at least two spare mags or speed loaders for each for everyone over the age of 14, not to mention at least 1500 rds of AR ammo (whatever caliber you have), 2000 rds of small cal rifle, 500 shotgun shells and 500 rds for each handgun. That is what I consider must have basic load and would suggest once one reaches that level they continue to add more ammo, parts and guns as they can, no one I know has ever said they had too much ammo and in a crisis it may be too late to get any more for a very long time, so think long term use and needs.

5. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe if you are stationary. If you have to be on the move, every ounce counts.

6. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

How you are on the move makes the difference, that is why we have more than one plan and how each one affects movement. If you are driving a truck there is little in the way of restrictions within reason, each downgrade from there means the load must be reduced and the way it is packed varies. Note even if one is on foot with a backpack you can get deer carrier that can hold a surprisingly large amount of gear and supplies and can taken about anywhere you go on foot.

7. gorte

gorte Banned

you''ll find out the hard way that all that stuff will soon belong to someone else if shtf, cause you'll be forced to abandon it. 2000 rds of 223 weighs at least 50 lbs, it's very easy to stop all 4-wheeled traffic in a given area. People have not given this much thought. What do you do with the vehicle once you have arrived at your BOL? The best thing to do is to travel only at night, with NVD's, and only off road, and not try to go far from your present location. Travel will be incredibly dangerous for almost everyone. 2000 rds is a lot of missing, man. You won't be able to utilize our (current) military 'tactics" of missing with thousands of rds for every hit that you get. You'll have to hit with 1/4 (or more) of your rounds, or you won't make it.

You just can't be in any firefights, cause the odds of you or your loved ones being hit are too high. There will be no chopper evac to a safe area, with the world's finest medical care all the way. Any wound is highly likely to (eventually) result in your death, if shtf, cause you'll need to be at the top of your game at all times. Nobody is going to be doing any practice shooting, once shtf, cause ammo will be irreplacable/precious, and the noise will attract attention that will result in ugly things.

8. gorte

gorte Banned

all of your shooting (other than 1-2 lucky events) will have to be ambushes, from cover. Avoidance of contact with others will mean everything, due to contagious diseases, if for no other reason.

The shotgun is a complete waste of time and money, by the way. It's much too limited in range, penetration and mag capacity, the ammo is bulky, heavy, hard to carry, fragile, easy to ruin with moisture, gun oil, solvent. You'd have to carefully seal the center of the crimp on each shell. Leave an extended mag tube fully loaded for a few months, and notice that the plastic shells collapse and "bulge" so badly that they can't be chambered.

9. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Guns are too much bother for me. I don't intend to go out and battle other people in a SHTF-type event, anyway. Better to stay home and simply deal with any dopes foolish enough to attempt to break in another way.

10. gorte

gorte Banned

you wont have any choice in the matter. Cities will BURN when there's no fire dept, no water in the pipes. Dog packs will be everywhere, nobody will have any water. People will notice where the dogs hang out (ie, your place, due to food and water smells) and then it will be simple to either snipe you or burn you out )(at night, with Molotov cocktails) Rural areas will be attacked by those who flee the cities, (looking for food and water) they won't have any choice. it will be either become a looter or watch your kids starve.