The Bible APPOVES of rape in 10 places, so can we condemn Mr. Cosby?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FreedomSeeker, Nov 23, 2014.

1. FreedomSeeker

FreedomSeeker Well-Known Member

The Bible approves of rape so fully that it doesn't just approve of rape once, nor twice, nor even nine times, but into double-digit numbers of times (10 times) [ http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm ]. God really really wanted to convey that rape is ok. Is that more times than the Golden Rule is mentioned? Jesus wasn't moral enough to condemn rape, or they would have removed approval of rape from the Bible if he did. So which is true?

A. The Bible is right (because it's from "god"), so it's ok if Mr. Cosby raped many women. (Also, the bible says women are only worth 1/2 a man, so the man's rights are more important than the woman's rights.)
    OR
    B. The Bible is wrong (so it's therefore not from some "god" of course - it's just a lie) because rape is NOT acceptable, so Mr. Cosby should be condemned if any of the 15 rape allegations are true.

Which is it?

[Modern Secular Humanism picks "B", because it's a far more moral belief system than any of the Abrahamic faiths.]
    To be fair, the Islamic texts also approve of rape (of captives) - "what your right hand possesses", so the Abrahamic faiths are all about equally immoral. http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Rape_in_Islam
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/muhammad/myths-mu-rape.htm

2. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Since man ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and knows the difference between them why does he have to rely upon what a bunch of barbarians said about good and evil? Isn't modern man more intelligent than ancient savages?

3. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Why do you use Cosby ? He hasn't even been convicted of rape.....why don't you just say "rapists" ? Hidden agenda?

4. FreedomSeeker

Christians/Muslims look towards ancient savages for guidance, but Modern Secular Humanists look towards Nobel Prize winners for guidance.

5. anomaly

anomaly Active Member

Surely you realize that rape is not the worst of atrocities the bible endorses!

There is selling your children, smashing infants heads in, stoning a wife should she stray too far from home unaccompanied, killing a disobedient child... the list goes on and on and on and........

I especially like the one about nailing your slave to a door by the ear... well OK it's not as bad as rape I guess but surely it has to be very uncomfortable for the slave!

6. FreedomSeeker

Because people have more emotion tied up in Emmy winning, Global Globe winning, "America's Dad", "the Jackie Robinson of network TV", than they do with unnamed generic "rapists", big time.

So which is it, FoxHastings, A or B (regarding rapists)?

By the way, other people are starting to corroborate the alleged victim's stories: http://perezhilton.com/2014-11-23-bill-cosby-nbc-former-worker-speaks-out-sex-women#.VHJRusl5WSo

Also an alleged victim's brother: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...of-cosby-accuser.cnn-ap.html?iref=videosearch

7. FoxHastings

So you'd rather use emotions to TRY to prove your weak point rather than use facts.....

Sounds like you just want to denigrate Cosby.

8. FreedomSeeker

Wait, you're trying to tell me that Jesus was too immoral to see that the book about him did NOT include all those moral atrocities? But, but, but I thought Jesus was all-moral and all-knowing? So you're saying the Bible is just a big lie? But that would mean that Christians are all delusional.....are they?

9. FreedomSeeker

Sounds like YOU can't answer a simple moral question (A or B). Has religion done something to your mind/morality?
    I know why, of course, because religions are so inconsistent/illogical that they don't make any sense at all. You can't condemn rape because then you'd have to condemn the Bible of course - because it approves of rape. This is a GLARING failure of religions (well, at least the most popular ones - the Abrahamic faiths.)

10. FreedomSeeker

I qualified it twice in the OP ("if", and "if the allegations"). You are correct in saying he's not been convicted, so the OP is "if" he's guilty. Do you condemn the bible for approving of rape? I do.

11. FoxHastings

I always think it's cowardly to not include entire posts.....so there's the one of mine you quoted PART of.

I am an atheist who spells it "buybull".......so don't preach to me because you want to slam Cosby.....and have nothing but emotions to back up any argument you think you have.

My life is not mis-directed by the buybull.....

12. FreedomSeeker

Wow, I figured I'd pick a really really AWFUL atrocity (rape) to make my point, but it turns out that Christians are so incredibly morally warped that they (apparently?) don't have the moral back-bone to remove those worse-than-rape atrocities from the #1 moral guide book that they give their own CHILDREN. WOW!

13. FreedomSeeker

So we both agree that the buybull is just bull. I'm impressed with you. Unlike some people, you're too smart to buy the bull of a magic invisible man in the sky who will magically return some day, and see that those who don't buy into his magic get savagely tortured and tortured and tortured (no compassionate person would, of course.)

We also agree that 15 credible allegations does NOT PROVE that Cosby is a rapist - those allegations do raise tons of questions (which he refuses to answer every day.)

14. FoxHastings

Which again, does NOT prove he's a rapist....have you never heard of innocent until PROVEN guilty?

You COULD have just used "rapist".....as in CONVICTED in a COURT OF LAW rapist....but you didn't which lead me to believe you have ulterior motives in using Cosby as an example. There are a multitude of rapists available.

15. anomaly

anomaly Active Member

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause!

16. FreedomSeeker

Oh, thank goodness. I'm going to now start believing in Santa and not Jesus because Santa is much more moral than Jesus. Santa would cure Ebola if he had Jesus' magic super powers, and he'd allow Muslims, etc. into heaven and to avoid being roasted alive, because he's far more moral than Jesus because he wouldn't only save people that love him (he's less stuck on himself than Jesus is.)
    Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and the eternal torment of hell because they didn't believe his magic ricks were real (Mt 11:21-24)...Santa (and no moral person I know) would not do that, because they care about people more than Jesus ever will. Jesus = monster.

17. crank

crank Well-Known Member

a very good point ... one worth making!

18. crank

crank Well-Known Member

re the OP,

I'm surprised no Christians have posted the usual cop-out. you know, the old "it was written for the times". a laughable defence of the utterly indefensible - when you're talking about an Omni-everything universe creator, who exists outside 'times'. If the message was as eternal as they claim, it would have BEEN eternal, not to mention universal. And if this god was silly enough to use man's written word to somehow magically transmit his messages, an even half-way legitimate deity would at the very least have updated the information at regular intervals - with a very clear signal of some kind that the updates were authentic.

19. FreedomSeeker

A caring couple at Barnes & Noble Bookstore carefully trying to choose their #1 moral guide book for their impressionable newborn child:
    Wife: "Honey, this one approves of torture and genocide and slavery and says women are only worth 1/2 a man."
    Husband: "Sounds good to me! BUY that sucker, as we'll never find a book that's more moral than that!"
    Wife: "Oh, wait! THIS book has almost 700 FEWER cruel or violent passages than that 'Bible' book has!"
    Husband: "Wow! Ok, get THAT book instead! It's called 'The Quran' you say, hmmm."

Number of Cruel or Violent Passages:
    Bible 1214
    Quran 527
    From: http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot...lent-bible-or-quran.html#sthash.q9n6fZJ8.dpuf

"You can become a MUSLIM and have a less violent and cruel belief system than what you currently have"...wow, I'd hate to have a belief system that THAT could be truthfully said about!!

20. FreedomSeeker

Incredible post. I can honestly say that I think your are smarter than the Pope and Jesus put together. Or at least more moral.

Updating the information at regular intervals: Circa 1800: "Ok, I now decree that slavery is no longer acceptable. Sorry for all the torture/rape/brutality that my earlier approval of slavery caused the world. I know it will be a pain to reprint all your Bibles, but I'm god, so suck it!" Nah, he's not moral enough to do that....

21. FreedomSeeker

Yes, trying to defend RAPE all the time can get a little weary, I bet, so they're taking a breather for awhile.....saving up their energy to defend my next post (an even worse atrocity) about Biblical GENOCIDE!! Yes, if past history is any indicator, they'll even defend the GENOCIDE in the Bible.

No, these are not NAZIS we're talking about, but these ARE people who actually defend genocide....even a WORSE genocide than the Fuhrer committed, if you can believe that.....if you think defending a genocide of 6 million is tough, just try defending a genocide of every innocent living creature (except for the occupants of one boat.) Defending a genocide that's worse than Hitler's takes a special kind of person, one w/out kindness or compassion. One who is so afraid of not surviving their own death that they prostitute their own morality.

22. FreedomSeeker

Mohammad approved of rape of captives, and so did Moses, so I guess I could have used them instead. They do seem way less moral than even Bill Cosby - even if the charges against Cosby turn out to be true.

23. FoxHastings

Wanted to help you out with your honesty problem and show the post of mine you quoted, in it's entirety....

24. crank

crank Well-Known Member

the Christian response to this would be that you just don't understand spiritual matters :)

having said that, great post !

25. crank

crank Well-Known Member

well, shucks and stuff :woot:

but yeah, (*)(*)(*)(*)ing Micros0ft and (*)(*)(*)(*)ing Aple update us even when we don't need it, and you can't flipping shut down til they finish. are they more powerful than god?

oh wait ....