More and MORE Americans Support "Right to Bear Arms"

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Arphen, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Arphen

Arphen Banned

2. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

while I think comparing today to the aftermath of Sandy Hook is like asking people if torture is okay on 9-12-01 and now. But that said this little nugget struck me:

so a highly under representation of the African-American community with a huge margin of error shows a sharp uptick. We in the business use to call that bad data.

Anyway, I do not doubt that there is a certain more level headed approach to thinking about guns. Gun rights are important, the issue is making sure that bad guys don't have free access to them.

3. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

If criminals were slammed hard and faced the same consequences for their violent actions today as they were in 1784, then the silly ideas of gun control would not even exsist.

4. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

I talk to a lot of people. My last ride today was with a 25ish hispanic couple who were born and raised in L.A.
    They agreed that they had been raised liberal, but over the last several years, they have come to agree that people, and especially women NEED guns and training with them. Gee, I wonder why?

6. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

7. emptystringer

emptystringer Active Member Donor

Good find Texan,this is a telling poll,especially for PBS. Like the article says,Connecticut all ready have some of the most restrictive laws on the books. Now some of the parents ,are going to sue,the gun manufacture. I don't think their case has a snow ball's chance in hell of winning. Unfortunately there will be a settlement, and the gun manufacture ,just raises their prices. Putting that manufacture in jeopardy ,of having to shut there doors for good. I think that is the end game to this lawsuit.

8. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

Nice post.

Right now the PBS poll shows 94.84% (103,595 votes) against gun control and 4.03% (4,402) votes for more gun control.

I'm waiting for all the people that ran around after Sandy Hook saying 91% of people support "common sense" universal background checks to say they were wrong and start opposing gun control laws.

The 91% claim was from here
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/us/us04042013.pdf/
    http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

It was a poll of a mere 1,507 people.

If the banners are honest then their belief in polls should lead them to flip and oppose gun control.

9. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

I NEVER see claims like this without remembering one of the classic British comedy skits

[video=youtube;G0ZZJXw4MTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA[/video]

I can easily imagine that the questions were framed in much the same way

"Are you afraid of being shot"?
    "Are you afraid of someone breaking into your house?"
    "Do you think you should have a gun to defend yourself"
    "Do you think legislation may prevent people from obtaining guns'
    "Do you support the second amendment"

10. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Yes, wonderful . . . except of course that PEW research tends to lean ever so slightly Left in most of its research efforts, in -- for instance -- routinely over-sampling Democrats on a routine basis. Ooops!

11. Bowerbird

Still is open to manipulation and really means nothing, Let us actually LOOK at the questions

http://www.people-press.org/2014/12/10/growing-public-support-for-gun-rights/

"Control gun ownership"??

I wonder what the responses would be if the wording was "Decrease illegal gun ownership" or "Ensure more gun owners had background checks?"

12. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

you can argue semantics all day long. The fact of the matter is that people are waking up to the attempted erosion of our Rights, something of which you have no familiarity with.

13. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Makes no never mind. She is in Australia....when a terrorist and prohibition played out.

14. Medical Officer

Medical Officer New Member

I think Americans are finally coming around to the idea that the world is an unsafe place, and the only surefire way to defend yourself, is to defend yourself.
    The police cannot be effectively relied upon.

15. Regular Joe

There is a pessimist side to this. More people feel threatened.
    Is it a negative thing in itself though? Crime has been decreasing for a long time.
    Is the nation just becoming more pragmatic?
    Or do we collectively have less faith in the future, and want the means of personal defense to deal with it?
    Those are all givens, IMO.
    Last night, I heard sounds that could well have been gunshots, muffled by the walls of adjoining apartments. I grabbed a gun and went outside to see. My neighbors were out in the yard, kicking a football in the dark. They're Aussies, you know. One of them saw the gun and mocked horror. I told them some of the stories from the past in this complex, and that I had come out to make sure that they weren't being bothered.
    We'll be going out to the desert before long, and soon after, I'd bet that they too will be armed.

16. Bowerbird

A) They probably were not mocking horror - to us we are more comfortable if you had been flashing
    b) Not all Aussies are infected with American gun paranoia

17. Regular Joe

There's SO MUCH you simply don't understand. These are young guys, who migrated FROM Oz precisely because they wanted to experience more freedom and opportunity. This is Las Vegas, after all.
    You are worse than clueless about what you call "American gun paranoia." Please expand your consciousness enough to understand that there is a genuine thing called Recreational Shooting.

18. Bowerbird

Is that what you call it when members here boast about "flashing their gun at punks", I have a friend whose husband was in the Navy - he was stationed in the US but sent her home with the kids after they had a gun waved at them because they were using water pistols

As for the "young guys" well, we have our Boguns just as you have your rednecks - does not mean I would want one as prime minister (Thinks of Tony Abbott - on the other hand,,,,,,,,,):D

19. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

so they are gay boys................
    Not all Americans are infected with gun paranoia

20. Regular Joe

Just what in Gods' name is your problem? You know EXACTLY what I mean, and how I mean it, but you feel the need to insult and denigrate me. I genuinely pity you for your conduct.

21. Bowerbird

Was not you I was referring to but someone who has been banned

22. Regular Joe

But you attribute my posts to his attitude. You don't consider individuals. With you, it's no better than the racist who only sees an ethnicity that he despises. Never mind the worth or credibility of one man or another.
    I pity you for your thinking.

23. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

You're talking about someone who obviously couldn't control his attitude was overly confrontational. He was not good for gun rights arguments for that very reason and the mods and everyone else understood this. He was on the right side of the arguments, but we all wondered when he was going to step on the wrong toes. Maybe we'll see him again. He did make things interesting here, but I couldn't support some of his threads.