Conscription.

Discussion in 'Security & Defenses' started by Brett Nortje, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Brett Nortje

Brett Nortje Well-Known Member

I hear, in my country south africa, the state wants to bring back compulsory military service and training. this is a way of boosting the defenses of the countries that use this.

If everybody goes to boot camp, then they will all be wasting time that they could be spending getting skills to support the army. this costs too much money and wastes away at youth, but, it will make the youth disciplined and pay attention to authority, of sorts. if the army is being trained then the big draw back is economically. it doesn't cost too much to pay the soldiers and feed them... actually, if they get skills and respect, and learn secondary technical skills, as well as having a little bit of 'capital' for rent and clothing, they could then get jobs, yes?

I am all for this! yes man!

2. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Conscription costs society a lot of money and you have to raise taxes in order to make it work.

Is South African society willing to pay more taxes for this?

Also, considering the many tribes some of which only speak for their own indigenous languages, how do you manage people with whom communication the government can barely communicate?

3. Brett Nortje

Brett Nortje Well-Known Member

There doesn't need to be a great financial penalty for conscription if it is done correctly. basically, they are paying the soldiers a bit of money for their own jobs one day, so, it is an investment. if they spend their money, it circles back in taxation.

If the equipment is a problem, then they need to build them themselves! this would require second year soldiers teaching first years how to do it, with minor costs for parts and tools. plans are cheap. submarines and stuff could be assembled locally, costing nearly nothing for the parts - drive the price down - who else are they going to sell to?

4. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

In the US, well regulated militias are what is enumerated as necessary to the security of a free State. I am still trying to convince the Judicature to better ensure our aqueducts and roads, with gun lovers who may present themselves for breaches of the domestic Tranquility and security of our free States.

5. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Does South Africa really need an Army that size? Is push for conscription for security needs or just to keep young men busy?

6. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

And if young men are conscripted that means young women will get all the jobs they leave behind when they are in the military. Will those women relinquish those jobs when the men's obligatory time ends? If they don't then many men will be unemployed and will not be able to support families or themselves.

7. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

Wellness of regulation is also a form of "gun control".

8. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

Actually, it is very expensive. It costs between $150-250,000 for each individual you want to train. And that is not even including things like equipment and facilities cost. You have the pay of the personnel, the medical care, dependent care, food, ammunition and other expendables, uniforms, electricity, water, laundry detergent, and a lot of other little things to figure in that is used during training.

Plus the costs of providing the same things for the instructors. And all of the support personnel required, from cooks, doctors and nurses to administrative personnel, bus and truck drivers, and even the people that maintain the grounds and buildings where they train.

To give an idea, at MCRD San Diego it takes over 4,000 permanent personnel to train around 21,000 Marines a year.

And "build equipment"? Really? What, they are going to become machinists and build rifles? They are going to operate an assembly line and foundry to make trucks and tanks? An electronics organization to make missiles?

Sorry, not gonna happen. ANd if it did it would be nothing like you are thinking.

9. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

We have a Second Amendment; why do we need more than that for our wars on Crime, Drugs, Poverty, and Terror?

10. NaturalBorn

NaturalBorn New Member Past Donor

That is the way to do it right. Mandatory drills by militia, with officers picked by the militia and ammunition supplied by the state.

- - - Updated - - -

Crime, drugs and poverty are not military operations, are they? Terrorists, like the guy in Australia, the guy in the Navy Supply Yard, the guy at Ft. Hood, etc. can be dispatched easily and early.

11. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

You make it seem like our federal Congress is applying a false analogy and achieving false results, as a consequence.

12. NaturalBorn

Are you aware of the lack of intellect represented in the U.S. Congress?

[video=youtube_share;cesSRfXqS1Q]http://youtu.be/cesSRfXqS1Q[/video]

13. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

I am following in the footsteps of the Judicature when trying to believe our federal Congress is not being "incompetent" on purpose.

14. NaturalBorn

What the hell is Judicature?

15. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

ju·di·ca·ture
    ˈjo͞odikəˌCHo͝or,-ˌkāCHər/
    noun
    noun: judicature

the administration of justice.
    judges collectively; the judiciary.

16. NaturalBorn

Then your previous comment is nonsensical.

17. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

It may just be your understanding.

I am following in the footsteps of the Judicature when trying to believe our federal Congress is not being "incompetent" on purpose.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

No, it was a nonsensical statement.

If you mean the Judiciary, then say so.

Myself, I actually have the belief that the government is becoming hopelessly broken at the Executive level. However, that does not stop me from trying to do what I can by the directives given to me. And the "Legislative Branch" (what you are calling Congress) is not broken, it is actually doing it's part as one of the 3 branches of the US Government. Acting as a check on the Executive and Judicial branches.

And Congress will go through phases, as has every other branch. Sometimes more effective then others, based upon who is controlling it, and the pressures or lack of pressures from the other 2 branches.

19. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

No, I meant the Judicature. It is merely your understanding that is at fault.