The N-word

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Egalitarianjay02, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

Why is it seemingly an unspoken rule that Blacks can use the N-Word by Whites can't?

Here is my answer:

Many Black people think they have stripped the word of its power by claiming the word as a positive instead of a negative racial attack as it was intended to be by racist White people. Many Blacks who hear Whites use the N-Word still perceive those Whites as trying to insult them racially so they take offense to a White person saying it. I don't think that anyone should say it. It's offensive and meant to cause psychological harm.

2. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

Being as this is a controversial issue among blacks, with members of the black community taking different sides, I ( a white man) tend to stay out of this, and just avoid using the 'n' word without judging what black folks should or should not do. My behavior is not dependent on them coming to a unanimous conclusion themselves. I won't be using it regardless. Its that easy.

3. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Krs-1 states that it means king. So why would a so called white person call a so called black person king anyway...funny that racist so called whites who use it are actually contradicting their own sentiment

4. Brett Nortje

Brett Nortje Well-Known Member

Well it is understood to be an insult, yes? if you called someone gay in two centuries ago, it would mean they are happy, but, now has other meanings. if we want to stop people using the word you refer to in this opening post of this thread, i forgot what it is called because of rules i think, you would need to give them better words to use, yes? how about, something catchy? if we were to bring a new insult into the cultures of the west, how about something cute, like "Samson," which would be catchy too, or something offensive like "(*)(*)(*)(*) master?" either of these words, or many others, will replace this current term by exposure to the vocabularies of people all over the west, and, the more they use them, the more original they will feel. it might take a while to catch on though, as it will have to gain popularity. think of the insult "noob," that is new and caught on fast!

5. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Instead of bywords why not say their real name? The most high, contrary to belief, does not for forbid this,
    say my name, say my name
    when nobodies around you
    Say baby I love you- destinys child.

6. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

I agree .. its a mean word like Dago, Wetback, **** etc.

7. Conservative65

Conservative65 Banned

Blacks will tell you the word itself is racist yet turn around and call another black by that term. I've asked whether or not people considered it racist if a black person calls an other black person by that term and I agree with them.

8. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

People use words to people they know that may be seen as racist, sexist etc all the time, it is not the words themselves that make them 'bad' it is the way and context they are used, but I don't expect you to understand that.

9. mikemikev

mikemikev Banned

For once I actually agree with you, except for the personal attack at the end.

10. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe is seems that way to you because you're racist? :wink:

The fact is that the word can be used by anyone. The context, intent and meaning is what matters. Traditionally, when the word was (and often is) used by white people, it is intended as a generic insult. Some black people took to using it themselves as an ironic claiming back of the word (much like some homosexuals have done with the word queer). That's what you're seeing but it's only part of the story.

If Obama gave a speech at the Whitehouse and talked about how not enough n*****s were voting, he be condemned for that use of the word. If a white academic was presenting a paper about the use of offensive language and talked about how some black people use the word n****r themselves, few people would care.

So when you used it in your question (albeit edited due to the board rules), you were being offensive and meaning to cause harm? When I use it in my response, was I doing the same?

11. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

I'm referring to its original intent which you agreed was made by White people as an insult against Black people. That's why I don't use the word. I don't believe in claiming the word and changing its meaning the way some Blacks do I think it should not be used in polite conversation. As for my or your use of the word in this thread obviously having a conversation about the word and directing it at someone are not the same thing.

12. mikemikev

mikemikev Banned

Do you have some evidence the word originated as an insult? "Negroid" is considered a "racist insult" by some but was an ancestry based classification from Blumenbach.

13. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

It's hard to say whether it was an insult at the very beginning of its application but over time as it came in to common usage it definitely became a highly offensive insult.

http://www.etymonline.com

14. Fugazi

Strange how we can agree on something.. ah well I suppose miracles do happen :wink:

15. MrSunday

MrSunday Banned

I think it is ridiculous some black people claiming they can say a certain word but whites can't. Imagine if I said blacks can't say Algebra. I think there would be World War 3 and I will be destroyed. I believe anyone can say whatever they want. Even if it is offensive. Black people are being racist themselves by not allowing certain words to be used by white people.

I have seen many situations where a black person has said something racist and nothing happens. When a white person says something racist the whole mainstream media destroys that individual.

16. Fugazi

Quite a silly comparison really, Algebra has never been used as a means to convey contempt for another person, now if you have used Honky (a derogatory term used by black people for a white person or for white people collectively.) then you would have a point and be correct. It is not the word itself that is racist, it is the context in which it is used.

and I, personally, whole heartedly agree that no matter your "race" if you use a word specifically to demean another person of a different "race" then you are being racist. The color of the skin of the person doing it SHOULD make no difference.

17. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

Its a bad word. And when its used by blacks I see it as self-mutilation.

18. MrSunday

MrSunday Banned

I used the term Algebra because to demonstrate a point without using an inappropriate language. Yes context should be taken into consideration.

The whole point of my argument was that some Black people say there are some words other "races" cannot use. This is racist itself.

19. Fugazi

and to some extent I agree, but it really is all about the context of how the word is used.

20. MrSunday

MrSunday Banned

What do you mean to what extent? Do you think there are certain words other races cannot use?

21. Fugazi

No I don't think that at all. I do however think there are certain words that people should think very, very carefully before using especially if those words could be construed as being derogatory to another 'race'