Seriously...What would it take for a GOD to prove itself?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by AboveAlpha, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

I was on another topic posting and I began thinking about something I have thought of many times before.

That being....if a BEING...or CONSCIOUSNESS...or ENTITY of some kind were to present itself to a person....or ME for that matter....what exactly would it take for such an Entity to prove itself to be a GOD or THE GOD....to me?

Thinking about this I have found it would take a HELL of a lot and even then I am not certain that it would be enough.

Thing is that if a person was a Freakin' BIC LIGHTER back 2000 years or so ago some people might think that person to be a GOD!!

Thus in a modern era as we are in now I find it that any Entity claiming to be GOD and I would ask for proof....I don't think it might be possible for such an Entity to prove itself to be an all mighty creator of the Universe and Multiverse to me.

Simple things like creating objects or animals out of thin air...well HELL we have a lot of Magician's in VEGAS that can do that!!!

But let's say such an Entity has instant ability to change Energy into any form of Matter and back again....thus has the ability of using the Unified Field Theory...well just the fact I and other people KNOW that it would take an understanding and ability to work the UFT...does not give me much of an impression of such an Entity.

More I think about it the more difficult it seem that such a supposed GOD could convince me.

How about anyone else?

AboveAlpha

DennisTate likes this.
  2. Swensson

Swensson Devil's advocate

Well, of course it'd have to depend on what aspects of god you're willing to let it get away with. Being almighty and having created the earth are different things, and would require different methods. That being said, the universe does not owe us a way in which we could determine this, after all, a simple trickster god could have us believe anything. However, it should be possible to work something out for practical purposes.

3. AboveAlpha

Well that's it isn't it.

In a Universe as large as ours there is without a doubt Intelligent Alien Races thousands or perhaps millions of years in advance of our own.

Just because an Entity could perform GOD LIKE acts...does not make it a GOD.

AboveAlpha

4. Dood

Dood New Member

There were moments when the Disciples questioned their belief in Jesus.

To me, the greatest evidence of all, is the fact that we exist. However it did take proof of God presented to me before I accepted that evidence.

5. Swensson

Again, it depends on what we mean. Such aliens could easily have powers similar to those of greek gods or so. My point would be that we shouldn't worry about what labels we're able to slap onto certain things, but what they actually are able to do.

6. crank

crank Well-Known Member

"but it's GOD" they say, as though the word itself carries all the powers a god might. and thereby absolving the label of the need to do anything.

7. Swensson

True. And I think the same applies to atheism, the attempts of discussing God in any manner falls flat on the idea that people on both sides are not being clear about what they're talking about.

8. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

If I were to make a thread that explained that nothing anyone could ever do, no matter the extent of their power or empirical evidence, could possibly prove to me that God didn't exist, I'd be verbally thrashed for being closed minded. I suppose not all religions are given the same level of tolerance.

9. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Simply state that all mankind is equal to his/her/its nurture(for lack of a better word).
    And not simply those that follow some specific religion pretending they are the only one this god wants and everyone else can go to hell.

10. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

What the question in the OP boils down to is, "how could we distinguish an actual God from a being using highly advanced technology?"

So the answer would have to be, "What could a God do that isn't at least theoretically possible with sufficiently advanced technology?"

I can think of two possible things:

1. Create a new universe from scratch. Downside: difficult to demonstrate.

2. Bring a long-dead person back to life. "Long dead" so that we'd see life being put back on to mere bones, and so sufficient time has passed that consciousness is long gone. Test isn't just creating a living body -- it's returning the previous personality to that body. It should ideally be someone who wasn't well known, and you'd need people who knew them in life on hand to verify it is the same person, not just some sort of fake consciousness in a rebuilt body. And even then you couldn't be sure that the "god" wasn't simply reading their memories and having the rebuilt body act accordingly. But it would at least be a difficult test to pass.

There is, of course, another approach to the OP's question: if a being has such advanced technology that it can do God-like things, isn't it a God in a practical sense? Does it matter HOW a god does what it does? Isn't it sufficient that it can do it? The OP assumes that a "real" god must come by its powers in a supernatural way. But is that a meaningful requirement?

11. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

How about this: the ability to transcend death.

Since all life in the Universe dies and even subatomic particles annihilate, a God would need to continue functioning despite routinely passing through a barrier of these set backs.

It would be like reincarnation. You die and fade to black, but the next moment you continue to exist. Boom, it's the next life, you just hit the ground running. But then, instead of forgetting everything and starting anew, you remember things, and exist outside of these things, because presumably you have a plan... or maybe not.

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

I see no proof Vishnu exists.....am I intolerant?

13. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

You know what? I think I disproved the existence of God as any physical thing.

If it's a living thing or a subatomic particle, then it dies.
    If it dies then it isn't a God.
    Therefore if it's a living thing or a subatomic particle, then it isn't a God.

Hey, I'm getting good at this. Okay, okay, I promise, this'll be the last time I get logical like this. :rolleyes:

14. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Create a human being. You're welcome.

15. crank

crank Well-Known Member

any idiot can do that. and plenty of idiots do.

16. crank

crank Well-Known Member

the athiest can't define a god without first having been given a laundry list of features by a theist.

17. Swensson

Aye, and the theists are repeatedly failing to provide it, so the atheists are repeatedly failing to address it. I'm not thoroughly impressed by most internet discussions on the subject.

18. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thread: Seriously...What would it take for a GOD to prove itself?

Actually being is some way noticeable by the senses or science would be a very good start.

19. crank

crank Well-Known Member

agreed. we skate aroubd the edge of the black hole of information. we do, however, try.

20. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

Really? Why do atheists always do this? I point out that being closed minded isn't tolerated by atheists, who are closed minded, and then they retort that I don't believe in everything so I am closed minded.

Let me spell this out for you. Christians are closed minded. Atheists are closed minded. I'm OK with atheists being closed minded. Atheists are not ok with me being closed minded. Pointing out to me that I am closed minded is to miss the point. My response is just to facepalm.

21. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

Glad to see that you have finally caught on to the import of the definition of PROOF that I rely on. Proof = evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true.
    Congratulations AA.

22. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

You would need to realize that "entity" had total power over you.
    Reality is the only entity that qualifies for this under all circumstances and at all times.

Truth immediately becomes the son of Reality, the messenger and mediator between you and Reality.
    Truth becomes the son of Reality in that it is born out of the frames of Reality that have passed and will add the next frame of Reality to be imaged as more Truth.

- - - Updated - - -

So, here you agree that Truth is the bottom line, and lord.

23. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

The physical senses deal with physical things: science deals only with physical things. Science does not like to acknowledge the supernatural, and the physical senses are locked into the physical things. Some people do accept the supernatural and experience the supernatural: Others do not accept and do not experience. Now when someone who does accept the supernatural tells those who do not accept the supernatural, there is immediate conflict, skepticism on the part of those that do not accept the supernatural, and an almost immediate requirement for the one who does accept it to show physical proof of that experience.

Bottom line is that for you, physicality is the god of your life while for others, the supernatural is real and true just like your physical things. In a sense, you worship the physical side of life.

24. AboveAlpha

Again...that is sort of my point.

The ability to do things that a much less advanced race might consider miracles.

AboveAlpha

- - - Updated - - -

I never said nothing would ever convince me.

I am just wondering what would convince me.

AboveAlpha

- - - Updated - - -

#1 would go a long way to convincing me.

#2...not so much as it is possible to bring back a long dead person and even we could do it if we had the Technology.

AboveAlpha

25. AboveAlpha

Wga....this could be possible even for us to do if we had the necessary level of Technology and understanding of the Unified Field Theory and thus this would give us the ability to store Consciousness.

AboveAlpha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.