Arctic Is Warming Twice As Fast As World Average

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Herkdriver, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Arctic report card: http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/

Rising air and sea temperatures continue to trigger changes in the Arctic. The Arctic is warming at twice the rate of anywhere else on Earth.

The bad news:
    Polar bears are suffering as a result; as an example their numbers in western Hudson Bay and the southern Beaufort Sea are decreasing in connection with a decrease in the availability of sea ice.

The good news:
    Plankton like the warmer conditions; they're thriving.

2. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Whales eat Plankton............SAVE THE WHALES!

3. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

as evidenced by the UN climate conference in Peru a week or so ago, no one really cares or is about to disrupt their economy over it

4. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

How much warmer is frozen?

5. Iron River

Iron River Well-Known Member

However, natural variation remains, such as the slight increase in March 2014 sea ice thickness and only a slight decrease in total mass of the Greenland ice sheet in summer 2014.Did you notice that NOOA admits that this is in line with NORMAL VARIATIONS. We have seen it warmer in the Arctic and we have seen the ice thinner,, not that it is thin now.

Polar bears numbers in western Hudson Bay and the southern Beaufort Sea are decreasing in connection with a decrease in the availability of sea ice.

Polar Bears must have eaten all of the sea ice and moved on. I didn't know that they ate ice. I thought that they ate Eskimos and seals.

The tundra is "browning" as the length of the growing season is decreasing in Eurasia, but maximum tundra greenness and biomass are increasing across the Arctic.

I thought that the Arctic circle went all the way to Eurasia. i also thought that maximum greenness was good for CO2 reduction.

On the Greenland ice sheet nearly 40% of the surface experienced melting conditions in summer 2014 and the albedo (reflectivity) reached a new record low value in August.[/quote]

They haven't noticed that there are volcanoes under the Greenland ice?

http://iceagenow.info/2013/08/greenland-ice-melting/ " The Greenland ice sheet is melting from below, caused by a high heat flow from the mantle into the lithosphere,” says the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ)."

- - - Updated - - -

However, natural variation remains, such as the slight increase in March 2014 sea ice thickness and only a slight decrease in total mass of the Greenland ice sheet in summer 2014.Did you notice that NOOA admits that this is in line with NORMAL VARIATIONS. We have seen it warmer in the Arctic and we have seen the ice thinner,, not that it is thin now.

Polar bears numbers in western Hudson Bay and the southern Beaufort Sea are decreasing in connection with a decrease in the availability of sea ice.

Polar Bears must have eaten all of the sea ice and moved on. I didn't know that they ate ice. I thought that they ate Eskimos and seals.

The tundra is "browning" as the length of the growing season is decreasing in Eurasia, but maximum tundra greenness and biomass are increasing across the Arctic.

I thought that the Arctic circle went all the way to Eurasia. i also thought that maximum greenness was good for CO2 reduction.

On the Greenland ice sheet nearly 40% of the surface experienced melting conditions in summer 2014 and the albedo (reflectivity) reached a new record low value in August.[/quote]

They haven't noticed that there are volcanoes under the Greenland ice?

http://iceagenow.info/2013/08/greenland-ice-melting/ " The Greenland ice sheet is melting from below, caused by a high heat flow from the mantle into the lithosphere,” says the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ)."

6. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, don't believe everything you hear from the government.

7. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Well, it's less frozen solid now than when it was frozen solid.

8. Micketto

How does one area warm twice as fast as any other?

Is the sun in collusion with the Earth.. MOD EDIT - Rule 3

[​IMG]

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

There is no such thing as global warming....

Exxon-Mobil told the Competitive Enterprise Institute....the Competitive Enterprise Institute told Rush.....Rush told me.....and I'm telling you.

End of discussion.

10. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

First of all man-made global climate change is real...and second, by and large what is affecting the climate now was done decades ago...it's just catching up to us.

Athough this may appear callous, extinctions of apex predators along the lines of polar bears and such would actually benefit humankind. A warming climate will also open up previously inarable lands to agriculture to counter areas that will turn to desert.

I certainly don't see this as any sort of doomsday scenario. 99% of all species that have ever existed on this planet have gone extinct. I've had my DNA mapped, mainly to detect future cancer risks but oddly enough I discovered I am 3% Neanderthal. Most people are around 1 - 1.5% , so apparently I have twice the amount of "cave man" DNA than the average.

The point...? Neanderthals went extinct. Homo Sapiens replaced tham as the apex predators among bi-pedal mammals. A few species, perhaps the polar bears...may go extinct...this will not have a deleterious affect on the planet as many predict...mainly because extinction is a common event, whether it is directed by humankind or not.

Nature my friends...is indifferent.

No polar bears? More walrus and caribou for the Inuit.

We'll manage just fine.

11. Tahuyaman

Tahuyaman Well-Known Member

The sky is falling!

12. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

13. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Funny isn't it?

If it was colder in one area, and you mentioned it...you'd be reminded that we were talking about "Global" warming.

They just make this (*)(*)(*)(*) up as they go along.

14. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

you can 'cherry pick' temps to use to average the yearly temp, too. Nevermind they picked June, July and August and December to cherry pick numbers from (they chose December because they don't want to make it look too obvious)

or they could take 10 temps for averaging purposes in each of the hot months and only 1 temp in the colder months....

cooked books

15. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nah. It's just a coincidence that things like sea level temperatures rise with fossil fuel use.

[​IMG]

16. Pardy

Not really. This climate change has been predicted by experts for a while.

17. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

[​IMG]

18. PatriotNews

Not true. Global Warming is here and were all gonna die! Time to panic. We need to put more money into failed renewable energy corporations which have just been made obsolete by the falling oil prices!

I found this from the Competitive Enterprise Institute website links where they told me what to think:

19. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

LOL....

20. PatriotNews

In 1993, they were predicting the sea would rise by 3 feet in the next 100 years. I don't know who will be around in 2093, but I can say after 33 years, it hasn't raised up 1 foot. Well, except the daily tides, that is. So there's been a lot of predictions by "experts" that were wrong.

[​IMG]

21. Pardy

This whole post is bogus and has no context. By the way, who are "they"?

22. PatriotNews

"They" are the "experts" at the "Environmental Information Center; Pacific Institute." As it says in the bottom left hand side of the picture. It was published by the SF Chronicle. Excuse my typo, *23 years.

Even so, one meter rise in 100 years? Is that still the prediction of the "experts"?

23. Micketto

Lol.... "dems" having to be mod edited out of MY comment..... again.

Holy hell @ this place.

24. bwk

bwk Well-Known Member

And don't believe everything you here from someone who isn't a scientist.

25. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

And, by all means, ignore anything other scientists say that does not support the alarmist meme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.