Cairns stabbing: Eight children murdered

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Gwendoline, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Gwendoline

Gwendoline Well-Known Member

Eight children aged between 18 months and 15 years old have been murdered in a home in Cairns. Seven of the eight children were siblings.

Horror. Humanity stamped under foot.

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/cairns-stabbing-eight-children-murdered-20141219-12aoz7.html

2. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

Horrible situation up here in Cairns.

It appears this morning a 37 year old women has been arrested. It appears she is the mother of seven of the eight children and the Aunty of one of them.

It appears she may of had mental health issues as she had been ranting in the days before about being given the power to do anything by God .

I really do fear for our world. It seems that Humanity is disappearing rapidly. I do not want diminish the tributes laid in memory of not only the two hostages taken in Sydney nor these eight innocent victims in Cairns, but caring after the fact seems so pointless to me considering that we don't give a $hit before the incident. I have seen people walk over the top of starving and helpless people in Martin Place Sydney itself. I have seen people stand and film a man beat a women almost to death in Cairns( I was initial charged with assault for stepping in and taking the bloke out, only to have the charge dropped later). So for me laying tributes at a scene after the fact is a case of a too little too late.

People wake up and get your heads out of your phones, tablets, AR$ES, and take a look around you. Humanity just hasn't disappeared it has been chased out of the paddock by selfishness, apathy, and greed. I am sure if we all take a good honest look at ourselves we will realise that we have all been guilty of it at least a few times in our lives.

3. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

The suspect is identified as an Aboriginal woman named Mersane Warria, also known as Raina Thaiday. The incident occurred in an Aboriginal neighbourhood and neighbours heard a woman screaming in a mixture of English and Torres Strait Creole. The woman may have been an interracial relationship and something may have gone wrong with her marriage or she has been experiencing economic hardship. In December, destitute people often commit suicide after murdering their loved ones and Ms Warria could have tried to kill herself as well.

4. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

Sounds like a murder/suicide attempt. I feel for the family and friends. Why is it always children who are victims?

5. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

Mental illness it seems. All crimes such as these obviously involve people who are mentally unsound. So sad the extended family or agencies didn't see the writing on the wall.

6. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Nonsense. Violent crimes are at all time lows. Murder rates are at all time lows. There are currently no wars between nations and deaths from wars are at an all time low. This is literally the best time to ever be alive.

7. slipperyfish

If only your sarcasm was the truth Panzer...........

8. Panzerkampfwagen

It's not sarcasm.

Higher reporting of (*)(*)(*)(*)ty things does not equal more (*)(*)(*)(*)ty things.

9. Gwendoline

8 children... + 132 children + 9 staff murdered in Peshawar.

I agree with Slipperyfish and truthvigilante. I edited my initial post because I couldn't articulate well enough the mental illness I think is at the root of so much 'madness' in our world.

We have an "Are you OK day?" in Australia... one day out of 365 days where we're meant to ask others if they are OK. So it doesn't come naturally to ask people if they're OK, we have to BE TOLD to do it...

There is a life lived on the surface... what some call the 'persona'... and underneath, in some people is a cauldron of unbelievable and unchecked mental illness.

That man from Lockhart who murdered his wife and three children... seemingly had the 'right persona', that life lived on the surface that others in his town admired... while on the inside he was a cauldron of mental illness. What else?! You cannot murder your entire family without being monumentally mentally ill.

10. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

How many drinks did you have?

So much violence and aggression everywhere....

No hard feeling, regards

11. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Agreed - and many of those who do do not ever wish to survive. Gods this is sad sad "sorry business". My heart goes to the indigenous community in Cairns as well - this will hit them hard.

Sorry business indeed - let us not speak the names in respect for the culture

12. Panzerkampfwagen

You gloom and doom people need to get some perspective.

13. Bowerbird

The numbers are down but that does not diminish the impact of those we hear of. Sometimes the rarity of the event makes it harder not easier to deal with. Look at how easily many Americans dismiss gunshot injury statistics - because they have become inured. I don't ever want us to become like that.

It was once pointed out that if the news service was the nerves of the world then it was wired only to give negative feedback,

14. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

How many fathers to her children did she have!!? There is some lifestyles which will promote mental illness, and it's a shame the warning sign's weren't picked up ...but even when they are sometimes support can be counter-productive and make it worse. So many children must have been hard work - very sad result.

15. Panzerkampfwagen

There's no support for the mentally ill anymore. It was deemed a violation of their rights.

16. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

You are kidding, right? If you aren't it is one of the most ignorant comments I've read on this forum.

17. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

18. Gwendoline

Four girls aged 14, 12, 11 and 2 and four boys aged 9, 8, 6 and 5.

Horror will make you stand still. Frozen in shock. Insurmountable trauma, untenable trauma. It was their own mother, for (*)(*)(*)(*)'s sake.

I'm trying to overlook that your question offended me. Given I feel sick overall with all of it.

19. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I can hardly imagine 8 kids those ages just stood their waiting for their turn. There must be a better explanation.

20. Bowerbird

Sorry but are you completely ignorant of indigenous culture?? Kinship systems are very different. But it is offensive in and of itself to assume that just because she has seven children she is promiscuous.

21. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

No, you have it backwards, it's mental illnesses that can determine lifestyle....lifestyles don't CAUSE or promote mental illness. Things that happen in life can cause mental illness.

22. slipperyfish

No doubt you have supporting evidence of your silly statement.

23. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

You know what they say... "Man plans... God laughs"....... I don't know how to say it in Yiddish.

24. Panzerkampfwagen

Yeah, it's called crime statistics and the fact that there are currently no wars between nations.

25. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

No biggee . That kind of God stuff goes on in South Carolina and Texas every day.