Medicaid increases by 10 million since ObamaCare rollout

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by MolonLabe2009, Dec 19, 2014.

1. MolonLabe2009

MolonLabe2009 Banned

Thanks Obama!

Oh, and thanks to all you ObamaCare lovers.

I just have one question for you. Who is going to pay for all this?

Where are we going to get the money from?

Are we going to print more of it?

Are we going to borrow more from China?

Please do explain.

Move to Medicaid: Nearly 10M enrolled since Obamacare launch

2. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe stop allocating money to military projects they don't want?

3. mjz

mjz New Member

What many don't seem to understand is we pay for it as a society no matter what.
    Hospitals have to treat patients.
    We legislated that rule years ago based on our belief that no one should be denied the basic right to life.

Well who do you think pays for that care?
    It's not just magically paid for out of thin air.

The rest of society pays for the care by way of higher rates and higher premiums.
    As a cost to society, paying the freight for this care via a medicaid benefit is far less expensive.
    FAR LESS EXPENSIVE.
    It's the whole point of the ACA.
    Those of us who have always provided real insurance benefits to our employees and ourselves were treated to low single digit rate increases for the first time in 15 years. Thiose who are now complaining what the cost of insurance is after the ACA just found out what the rest of us already knew.
    Health Care in the United States is EXPENSIVE.
    And it's about time the rest of you took your own responsibility for it. (that there is a conservative principal)

If cost is your measurement of the success of the ACA (ObamaCare) then you should be grateful Medcaid enrollment is up.
    It's saving you money. A ton of it. And that is truth.

The other part of this truth is our population is aging quickly.
    And a broken economy means lots of poor Americans.
    Medicaid enrollment would be up by large percentages whether ObamaCare was around or not.

Issues tend to run deeper than your visceral reaction.
    It's the stuff Conservative pundits don't dare touch.
    It's easier to just create disdain for the educated elite.

When one takes the time to consider the whole picture....
    Truly understands the issue....

They sound more and more like a liberal everyday.

max

4. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I heard that Obamacare brought people into Medicaid that didn't previously know they qualified. I know that was the case with me.

Well, that's good for the poor, but not good for the people who pay for their insurance. I don't know whether it's the taxpayers who pay because of the financial assistance, or the premium payment for people who do pay for their insurance... but there it is.

I'm not entirely convinced that payment for Medicaid completely negates the cost of the poor getting treatment at a doctor vs getting healthcare at the emergency room. Medicine is still expensive. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that.

5. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

My insurance went from $435 to $822, along with high copays and higher deductibles, and I'm supposed to be grateful that millions more are getting free healthcare and it's saving me money? Try again.

6. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

Let's end our wasteful and exorbitantly expensive, War on Drugs.

7. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe disband our army altogether and spend it all on new social projects?

8. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

So now we pay twice???

What was happening was that hospitals raised prices so as to cover visits by uninsured people, who never paid them afterwards.

9. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

Hahahaaaa...
    Funny.
    But that is what gappens in every empire when the government can not pay the rabble inside and the army for outside.

At some poont, the people onside can not be feed for free.
    The French saw this happen before Napolean got into power.
    It always happens.

10. Dutch

Nice wall of text, I'm sure a lot of effort went into writing it. But guess what? I'm a rugged individualist. I don't want our society to have socialized medicine, been there, done that.

We now have millions of freeloaders getting free medicine and I'm supposed to greatfully pay more for my individual insurance because you saying it costing us less as a whole? What a load o'crap! :wall:

11. Dutch

Unfortunately, Liberals believe they can achieve the World Peace with no army and just a kind word. Lucky for them, we Conservatives always defended and protected Liberal's while they exsersise their constitutional right to be stupid.

12. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

Didn't you know? It's free. Everything is free. I wonder how many of those people actually qualified for Medicaid. If they do, they could have signed up before the government takeover of healthcare.

13. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

No we don't. We simply understand that the common defense is not the common offense or general warfare while complaining about social spending for the least wealthy.

14. mjz

mjz New Member

No, you missed it.
    I am grateful that you finally have real insurance and I don't have to pay for the care your insurance didn't provide in those lower rates.
    Welcome to your responsibility.

Just because you didn't run into your exclusions and procedural maximums, and uncovered meds doesn't mean the condition didn't exist.
    It did -- and it financially ruined hundreds of thousands. AND.... the costs they couldn't pay fell on the rest of us.

(The fact that your premium went up so much says you had a masquerade policy or you had a real policy but are young.
    If you are young... don't worry, you'll catch up as the years go by. Your parents likely paid to insure you when you were younger.
    Think of it as helping them out.)

Health care in America is expensive.
    It's about time you realized that.
    Welcome to personal responsibility

Get it yet?

And when you do... What are you prepared to do to bring the costs down further?

max

15. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Obamacare raised the amount one could earn and still qualify

- - - Updated - - -

Obamacare raised the amount one could earn and still qualify

16. mjz

mjz New Member

Well yeah... because, for purely political reasons, the ACA was blocked and slowed in implementation in 26 states.
    The quicker more get insured the slower the rate of premium increase.

However, until we are willing to regulate profit in health care the way we do in utilities -- the price isn't going to suddenly go lower.

max

17. mjz

mjz New Member

Nothing is free. Including the care one gets in the emergency room when they have no or masquerade insurance.
    And if you think the ACA is a government take over you have no clue what a government take over is.

max

18. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Cloward-Piven

19. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You are not living in the same reality as the rest of us. Why do you assume I wasn't responsible and my policy wasn't good before? It was great, I had it for years and loved my low copays, free preventative care, low deductible. Don't make those same assumptions from the liberal talking points peg board. It makes you even less credible. No one is buying your bs. If you want to talk to someone about personal responsibility, I don't think it should be me, who is paying full price and not receiving gov't subsidies or medicaid. I know exactly what personal responsibility is all about.

20. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

An unreasonable response to a reasonable idea. Just because I advocate for a reduction doesnt mean Im advocating for complete disbanding.

21. Dutch

The liberals are in charge of our defence now, and out great Commander-in-Chief has just drawn another red line in the sand... See if North Korean leader gives a hoot about Obama. Such a naivette...

22. Dutch

I do. And when I do, Liberals usualy avoid them for not having anything to say. The simple Obamacare math question I've been asking Liberals for months now still goes ununswered. Care to take a crack at it?

23. mjz

mjz New Member

Ok, look up Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) and the investigation he launched in '08 into AARP's limited benefit health plans. Take a look at the why he investigated it and the opinions of just the GOP members on the committee. Read a little about the Texas woman, Lisa Kelly, who motivated Grassley to form the investigative subcommittee. This same scenario was repeated a zillion times over.

Anyone who was paying attention in the early 2000s (folks like me who provided health benefits to a workforce) knew full well there were plans that covered routine and well health visits with low deductibles and low premiums. They looked attractive on the surface. Until you found the procedural limits, daily meds allowances, and low lifetime limits. The worst part is most (maybe even you) had no clue because before the ACA, many states didn't even have benefit disclosure laws in place. People only found out once they were in crisis.

Folks like me petitioned the government to do something. The ACA is, in part, consumer protection and a way to stop those of us who took responsibility to know what was in the policy from paying for those who had no clue.

You are right. I am not living in your reality. You have offered nothing here to suggest to me that you are informed. You've basically said your plan was great with low deductibles. And it was cheaper. I didn't get this from a liberal board. I understand the issue because I provided health insurance for employees (that I cared about ) for 20 years.

How about you?

The ACA doesn't go far enough. And it has it's issues. But at least a plan was offered. And my rate increase this year was the lowest in 15+ years.
    You got a better plan? I'm not wedded to the ACA. I'm a capitalist. Profit matters to me. I'm all ears.

But I gotta tell you, it gets really old engaging folks who have no clue what the ACA is all about or what they are even talking about.
    Maybe that's you. Maybe that isn't. You haven't brought much to thew table for me to decide.

max

24. mjz

mjz New Member

No not really, your into labels and the whole us v them rant. I avoid folks who play on that level. It's just ego hand job. Enjoy yoself.

max

25. Dutch

No it's not a reasonable idea. We have just increased our pool of the eligible benefits recepients by 5 mln people, And benefits they will demand. Where do we get the money to give it to them, fom the military budget?

We have just increased our pool of Medicare recepients by 10 mln people, and money to treat them must also come out from somewhere. defense budget again?