'Annie' remake: casting of black lead provokes negative Twitter posts

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Channe, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Oscar-nominated Quvenzhané Wallis stars in the new film version of the musical. Cue Twitter comments that all begin: 'I'm not racist, but …

[​IMG]

http://www.theguardian.com/film/sho...-casting-black-lead-negative-comments-twitter

My take - you gotta love the hypocrisy of the same people who have no problems with Jim Cavizel playing Middle Eastern Jesus or Heston playing Moses (who was most likely black given he was accepted as an Egyptian prince), but then getting all upset over a black girl playing the lead role in Annie.

2. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

I don't care if they cast robots. Even black robots. It's a complete non-issue. It would be a little odd to cast a lily-white man as MLK, but Annie? Not even a real person.

Those who would get in a snit about this are just looking for something to get in a snit about.

3. BringDownMugabe

BringDownMugabe Well-Known Member

It's a movie -- and a remake none the less. Any people who complain what race the person is who is playing the character (especially when race isn't even a theme of the movie) have no life.

4. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

why cant a black girl play Anne?

5. Channe

Umm.... she can and should. I'm on your side on this issue

6. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Should? Why should she? It's time we have us black Anne?

- - - Updated - - -

Calm down, of course she can.

7. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

We're in an ugly time with people looking everywhere for racial issues. People seem to find many reasons to get worked up over issues that just aren't issues, but the media is feeding the racial divide machine heavily. I think it's great that they cast her. If she's the best candidate for the role, more power to her. Too bad all those people couldn't just congratulate her for getting the role and leave it at that without concerning themselves with what color she is, as if it matters in how she'll perform in the role.

8. Channe

Don't even accuse me of that race baiting crap because my views on Ferguson and the likes have well displayed my hatred of it.

But I'm curious why this bothers you, but you have nothing to say of centuries of a blue eyed, white, Jesus. Your hypocrisy precedes you.

9. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

The only people involved in racism nowadays are those screaming "racist!!!". The only ones that are seeing color is the extremist left. Everyone else is annoyed at their race-baiting.

10. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Stupid people on twitter....go figure.

11. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Go ahead and point to where I indicated it bothers me? It was you who said black actress SHOULD play Anne, hence my question to you why SHOULD she? You are not paying attention...

12. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

This could be the dumbest statement of the year considering the point of this thread.....

13. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Meh, tired of everything having to be a remake. Some new material and ideas would be more welcome. Black..White...whatever. Not really sure we needed a reimagined Annie at all. Why not just make a new musical?

14. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

Racist remarks?Who cares? Everyone is trying to just live their lives. Tell it to Al Sharpton. He likes listening to people whine about this nonsense if he can make a buck or two.

15. northwinds

northwinds Well-Known Member Past Donor

Agreed.........and we should cast White folks as MLK and Frederick Douglas.......post-racial America and all.........

16. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Black orphans exist; a white civil rights movement didn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

People who don't like racism care -- especially those who see how dangerous it can be.

17. rwild1967

rwild1967 Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Black Annie? Who (*)(*)(*)(*)ing Cares? Don't we have bigger fish to fry these days?

Usually you come off as pretty intelligent and well adjusted. That may be the stupidest thing I have heard you say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. Channe

She should because there is nothing of Annie which is a "white only" part. I'm not saying she should get the role because she is black. But if she is black, I find nothing wrong with it.

19. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Middle Easterns including Jews, Moses was a jew, and Arabs are Caucasion not Negroid. Why shouldn't Caucasions play them?

20. northwinds

northwinds Well-Known Member Past Donor

She got the role because she is black..........if you haven't seen this trend on remakes you are not paying attention.........the next James Bond film will feature a black as Bond...........it's part of an agenda.

21. Channe

The whites can have their agenda of a white Jesus and Moses for the last 1000 years, yet apparently minorities are not allowed a black Annie ? The consequences of a Nordic Jesus have been infinitely more profound that a black Annie ever will. Your acceptance of one and rejection of the other only lies as testament to it.

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

LOL - Jesus and Moses were Middle Eastern Semites who looked like Arabs. If Jim Cavilzel can play Jesus, this black girl can play Annie. DEAL WITH IT. You've fallen for the bait that the Jews of Europe are somehow semitic. They aren't. They are European white. The Jews of the Bible were Middle Eastern.

22. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Who is complaining...liberal sony employees?

23. BringDownMugabe

BringDownMugabe Well-Known Member

The only person on an agenda is you and your racial conspiracy theories. Hollywood is in the business of making good products and considering Idris Elba is a damn good actor -- I think that'd be a smart move. Not to mention he is British.

24. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Are you suggesting that it is the left that has been tweeting about this girl playing Annie?

IMO, it's time that all of us accept that there is way too much being made about race from all sides of the political spectrum. All we have to do is read many of the threads on page one of this forum.

25. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

They made the Johnny Storm/Human Torch in the new Fantastic 4 movie Black for literally no reason.

It doesn't even make any sense because the character is sister to Sue Storm/Invisible Woman which is being played by a White women.

I know that there are deals between advertisers and media networks stipulating that a certain amount of ethnic color must be injected into certain markets but I don't see why it has to extend to distorting characters that have been established for decades as being one thing or another.

Its entertainment affirmative action telling Black directors, Black screenwriters, Black actors, any Black anything else that they're not good enough to make a movie White America wants to see ...so we'll inject your color into something they already associate with being entertaining.

Its about as stupid as remaking Shaft and having Jonah Hill play John Shaft.