I re-classified eggs as junk food

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by organic cheezes, Jan 3, 2015.

1. organic cheezes

organic cheezes Newly Registered

Should eggs be re-classified by all as junk food due to being high as hell in cholesterol?

2. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

3. Superpower

Superpower New Member

that's insanity.

but i would like to visit an egg factory to see exactly how those eggs are grown?
    are the chickens loaded up with chemicals in their feed? do the chickens eat grass and bugs
    or some type of gross smelling chemical feed?

4. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

I can't speak for every egg farm, but the egg farm in Croton, OH, which is close to one of my rentals feeds their chickens a locally grown corn/soy bean mix. The use of hormones in American egg or chicken farms is illegal.

5. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Depends on the source. The large scale producers typically have a warehouse full of chickens in little cages that sit there eating and laying all day because that is all they can do. At periodic intervals, they are replaced with fresh chickens and are retired to KFC or your grocery store meat department.

Some places let them move about in some combination of a warehouse and a penned area and the workers walk around and collect the eggs. One of the more interesting set ups I have seen is that they have like a greenhouse covered in white plastic and put the chickens inside. They move the greenhouse once a day or so through the field buy pulling it with a tractor. The chickens walk along inside as it is towed. They drop it in a new place and the chickens do their thing. Not quite free range the way people think of free range, but gives them natural food while protecting them.