There they go again.

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by theferret, Jan 15, 2015.

1. theferret

theferret Well-Known Member

Well, record low voter turn out has put the GOP nearly in the driver's seat.....and suddenly all their obstruction for the past 6 years doesn't matter, because it's all Obama's fault.

This country didn't learn from nearly 30 years of Reaganomics (Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush). The GOP want your healthcare insurance and social security in the hands of private corporations & Wall St., who recently SCREWED US! Jeez! Let's hope the Dems in the Senate and Obama can stem the tide for the next 2 years, and the Dems and the American voter get their act together for 2016.

God bless America, because we're going to need all the help we can get!

toddwv and (deleted member) like this.
  2. logical1

logical1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The obstruction and the do nothing Congress can be laid at the door step of the senile old fool Harry
    Reid. He had at least a couple of hundred bills passed by the House laying on his desk. He WOULD NOT allow them on he floor for a Senate vote.

3. theferret

Sorry, but that's a half-truth that the GOP noise machine (i.e., Fox News) has been repeating ad nauseum. Here's the real deal: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...nn-jenkins-blames-harry-reid-do-nothing-sena/

But more to the point regarding GOP obstructionism: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/senate-gops-unprecedented-obstruction-five-charts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/gop-filibuster-record-rep_n_480722.html

4. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is not a half truth it is a fact. Any of those bills could have been used by Reid and Obama to negotiate some compromises but they killed them then resorted to blame the GOP for doing nothing.

This is all the democrats fault, not the republicans. As for low voter turnout how come it didn't favor the democrats?

Is it because those few that voted did not actually want the democrats in power anymore?

Probably.

5. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

We've survived Obama so far so we'll survive the next two years despite his temper tantrums and your whining. America didn't survive just Obama but the evil troika from the left: Obama, Reid, Pelosi.

On the bright side, that hero of the left, Dr. Gruber, should be without government contracts until the leftists get back in and have millions to spend on lying.

Isn't the ferret is a weasel with the status of a protected species?

6. domer76

domer76 New Member

I've seen that bull(*)(*)(*)(*) claim a hundred times before. All those "jobs bills" the uninformed right keeps yammering about. Guess what? They weren't jobs bills at all.

7. Spooky

Do you know how Congress works?

One side proposes something that they want and the other side takes that and uses it to get something they want, it is called compromise.

That is something that the left is not capable of. They would rather kill everything then try to blame the GOP for doing nothing when in fact, the GOP gave the democrats plenty to work with if they had wanted to.

8. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

My what short memories some partisans have.

funny how some partisan types scream about taking responsibility when it comes to others, but not for anything they do. Seems re-writing history is part of the strategy, because the very large % of the public can't remember yesterday anyway.

GOP says compromise not on the agenda if they retake the House

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/125383-republicans-say-compromise-not-on-the-agenda

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44311.html
    http://www.teapartytribune.com/2011/08/05/our-moment-no-compromise-no-surrender-total-victory/

Our Moment: No Compromise. No Surrender. Total Victory

republicans-are-cool-with-compromise-just-not-with-president-obama/

9. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

The repub definition of compromise is for the Democrats to surrender. They've come right out and said so more times than I feel like looking up and posting (again), and anyone with any honesty realizes this.

10. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

" the GOP gave the democrats plenty to work with if they had wanted to??? If they wanted to help destroy the country by becoming repubs.

11. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Just gotta love quoting Exactly what comes out of the GOP's mouth to debunk the right's arguments here!!!
    Boy, oh,Boy did I wish there would have been some" compromises" done in the last 5 years-imagine how much better off we would all be!
    Well, now, it is the GOP's turn & what is on their agenda right out of the gate----wasting time & taxpayers money voting on bills that will get vetoed by the POTUS (& they know it) just to "appease" their Bagger members.Stellar
    The GOP has been handed a great opportunity here,unfortunately,they are already blowing it----

12. Spooky

Instead of focusing on what they say you should focus on what they actually do.

The GOP also said no compromise on an unemployment extension but they changed their minds after they got an extension on the Bush tax cuts in return.

Both sides are supposed to take a hard line before negotiating a compromise, you don't simply agree right off the bat.

I would have assumed that was common sense but apparently not.

13. Spooky

So in your mind, any agreeing with republicans is destructive.

That is exactly the mentality of Reid and Obama which has led to the roadblock in Congress.

This republican House is not strong, they are weak and divided and certainly nothing like the Gingrich House was yet Obama and Reid cannot or will not do anything to get compromises done.

They would rather draw a line in the sand and not budge on anything.

14. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

A traditional repub tactic - accuse one's opponent of one's own sins.

15. Spooky

It is not a tactic it is a fact.

The republicans approached the democrats with a plethora of ideas to work with and Harry Reid killed every single one of them with no discussion.

Hundreds of bills that received no action from Reid, no compromise.....nothing. Republicans even tried to use the filibuster of nominees to force democrats to the table, a tried and true tactic, and Harry Reid killed that.

These are just the facts of what happened that you cannot dispute.

16. Papastox

Papastox Well-Known Member

Sorry, those 2 are Liberal left. What do you expect them to say? Why has Obama only vetoed 2 bills? Because those were the only 2 that got past Harry Reid's desk. He had over 200 that the Republicans had that he shelved. Now Harry can't protect him any more, so we will begin to count Obama's vetoes so that he officially wins the title of "Mr. Obstructionist." History will not be kind to him.

17. Bluebird

I disagree--If I remember right,that was not a compromise,but more of hostage holding-which if that is the GOP's definition of compromise-it is just plain wrong-compromise is or should be what is the right thing to do for the whole of the country instead of just a few-as we have all found out that the Bush tax cuts only favor a few,not everyone as Bush so valiantly crowed!
    Look what is happening right now,the GOP bill that just got sent to the Senate---they (GOP) will fund Homeland Security "IF" OBAMA will drop his Executive order for his Immigration Reform--that is going no-where,because that is not a compromise-that is again,hostage taking. However this time the GOP has to be careful,because if they don't fund Homeland Security & we get attacked because of their(defeat OBAMA at all costs attitude)it is all on the GOPfor not helping keep our country safe.
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you again,I haven't seen any good sausage making in Washington in a long,long,time.

18. Spooky

So if you do not agree with them you call it hostage taking?

Newsflash: That is how deals are brokered in Washington. It is how we get compromised legislation passed. The people voted in the republicans to the House and as such they need to represent their constituents and if that requires holding up the government to get the democrats to the table then that is what must be done. Just as the democrats have done the exact same thing.

Maybe if you tell the democrats to meet the republicans half-way then they would not have to threaten such extreme measures. The point is that the democrats ARE going to have to give some things up to the republicans just like the GOP will have to give up some things to the democrats. You seem to think that the democrats should always get everything they want.

Government does not and should not work that way.

19. Jonsa

What part of

“We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

do you fail to comprehend?

20. Spooky

I comprehend the whole thing. That statement was made in regards to Obama's agenda, not anything specific. Do you think that liberals did not try to stop the Bush agenda or did they openly support Bush and his policies.

What we have seen from republicans beyond the rhetoric however is them caving in constantly to the democrats.

21. Jonsa

So naturally the best thing for republicans to do is blame the democrats for their own poor performance in executing their stated strategy.

22. Spooky

And the democrats blame the republicans for some campaign rhetoric while ignoring the fact that every time Reid has approached them with an offer, the republicans have given in. They have yet to stick to any principle they said they would so touting a stupid comment by a Senator as a fact that the republicans have blocked everything is just nonsense.

Obama said many things during his campaigning also but I do not see you guys holding him accountable. Remember when Obama said that marriage should be between a man and a woman?

The democrats had a super majority for roughly six weeks and could have used that time to bargain with republicans and gotten pretty much everything Obama wanted on his checklist. Throw the republicans a few bones and they had the votes to pretty much get anything done they wanted yet they chose to squander that time passing the ACA.

It is 100% the democrats who refuse to compromise on anything.

23. Bluebird

Incorrect,you don't have to put words in my mouth,I explained my opinion of the definition of compromise!
    And let's talk about what happens when there is no compromise--did we not have a Government shutdown in 2014? Why Yes [/B we did.]Who shut down the Government--the GOP,why,they didn't get what they demanded,What did the shut-down accomplish? Nothing but an estimated $24 billion of taxpayers money & a waste of precious recovery time. Yeah,those GOP sure know the art of something,but I'll be darned if they can even figure out what it is.!!!!
    The issue occurring in the GOP Congress right now(or since the Tea-Party hi-jacked the GOP) is those Baggers want to abolish Government,so,anything that might help the recovery is an automatic "NO" for them & the moderate GOP are so afraid they won't get re-elected,they just set on their collective arses-that is not the way Congress was set up to function-so, in my opinion,all I have seen for the last 6 years is a do nothing,stalemated GOP!!

24. theferret

All you've done is just deny and ignore the DOCUMENTED FACTS put forth in the links I provided in favor of the revised version of recent history that is parroted by right wing broadcast programs. See, it wasn't the Dem leadership who announced to the world that their primary function was to make Obama a "one term President". Their subsequent actions speak for themselves, whether you acknowledge/accept it or not. And they FAILED.

25. theferret

Nice Limbaugh/Levine/Hannity/Maulkin recitation there, son. Pity it has NOTHING to do with reality....or did you miss the SOTU last night? Only the most insipidly stubborn right wing wonk would deny what Clinton and Obama inherited from the Reagan/Bush cabal. But reality can be a cruel mistress for the GOP....let's see if they can sell the American people a return to the disaster of reaganomics a'la the Shrub.