"Maidan" in Belarus - to be or not to be?

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by Terex13, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Terex13

Terex13 New Member

A series of color revolutions took place in Ukraine, which led in 2004 to the change of government, and in 2014 to the Civil War.
    Whom the United States will undertake after Ukraine? Perhaps it will be Belarus!

[video=youtube;O4r4rhiI4PM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4r4rhiI4PM[/video]

2. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

I've heard bad things about the government of Belarus, which leads me to think that yes, it could be next. This is, or at least effectively amounts to, a covert, proxy war against Russia in the old Soviet sphere.

Why? I would suggest that America's failing economics are behind it. When the going gets rough for those in power, those in power start wars to distract the public and avoid ending up with their own backs to the wall in the future.

3. Nicher

Nicher Newly Registered

There couldn't be a new revolution in Russian region because:
    1. Byelorussians love their dictator (in Russia he is called "father" (батька)
    2. Russia is too powerful and luckashenko is a little Putin, so if some maidan happened in BR, then russian soldiers just occupied capital and main cities to save Russian main
    Protectorate in europe.

4. Europe2050

Europe2050 New Member

I don't think, there will be another Maidan in the way we have seen it in Kiew in the next years. Noboby will get Lukashenko off his place too soon, and as he actually manages to hold Belarus out of trouble, this actually seems to be the best for Belarus.

But my opinion is that if some day Russia shows weakness, maybe as the things in Ukraine turn worse he will not hesitate to get rid of his dangerous ally and his troops in the country. Actually antirussian policy would lead to Donbas situation, but in difference to Putin, Lukashenko can wait.

In the last years a kind of "Maidan from above" has happend - without out the democratic elements but with the elements of Nation building.
    Belorusian learned not to feel like a western province of Russia, but something own.
    Enormous pro ukrainian Statements, the silent help to undertake russian sanctions for EU and the political sign of the Minsk negotiations showed a sign.
    I would not wonder, if Lukashenko would work on improving Belarus' relationship to Poland and Lituania and we heared astonishing developements in the next years.