Super Bowl XLIX - 2015 (Seattle vs. New England)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Herkdriver, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Don't think it's even going to be close. New England is at the top of their game and Tom Brady is arguably one of the best QBs to ever play in the NFL.

Having said that I will be rooting for Seattle as I am not a fan of Bill Belichick's tactics. He's been fined for cheating in the past. The Seahawks will have their work cut out for them repeating as Super Bowl champs. The defense will need to step it up again if they are to stay with them. New England is not the type of team to give up large leads. This one has the potential to be another blow out if Seattle plays as poorly in the first half as they did against Green Bay with a gimpy Aaron Rodgers

For those who don't like football, the commercials are at times entertaining and Katy Perry will be doing the half-time show, so there's that...and of course the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet..and who doesn't like puppies.

2. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

GO BUCCANEERS! (next year)

I am rooting for the Patriots simply because my back up team is the Packers who did a monumentally awesome job of completely blowing a significant advantage.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Bugger! I'll be at work. :chainsaw:

4. Bobosca

Bobosca New Member

I have my money on Seattle for the win. Those guys are something else. I am a soccer fan by the way. So, I really have no horse in this race. :smile:

5. South Pole Resident

South Pole Resident New Member

Bill is about to get busted for cheating again it looks like, the nfl is investigating the pats for playing with deflated balls in the afc championship. I think the pats are monsters this year, but i am with you, bill is a cheating bastard.

6. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Of course they have to claim cheating. What would you do if you were beaten like a red headed step child in front of the nation? That game was like watching Mike Tyson haymaker a guy in a wheelchair.

7. South Pole Resident

Its not the colts, its the Refs, remember the wait at the beginning of the second half, that no one could explain? That was the refs checking pressure, this has nothing to do with the colts at all.

8. AlphaOmega

Understood I meant the general consensus from Pats haters. Trust me, if they were cheating, I will help you bash them. I detest cheaters.

9. Riot

Riot New Member

The patriots are nothing more then cheaters and proof the NFL treats teams differently.

10. South Pole Resident

I dont think the balls had any real effect on the outcome, but if they were cheating, they will for sure lose draft picks, and to be honest, i think bill will catch a suspension, and he has earned it, if this is all true.

11. AlphaOmega

Agreed

12. South Pole Resident

All cheating talk aside, i think the pats will dispatch the hawks. I thought the pats and the hawks would be a close game before the nfc championship, with that first half performance, i have no faith in the hawks ability. The pats are a league or two above the packers, and the packers had to give the game away to lose.

13. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Too much defense for the Seahawks to lose. And Seattle will have a tremendous lift coming back the way they did against Green Bay. Seattle 25-17.

14. South Pole Resident

I had the hawks picked to win it all, i lost all faith after the last game, they played soo badly. Now a couple of guys are going to play banged up? The hawks might win, but I wont be gambling this year. The pats are just going to go out there and do what the pats do, and if the packers could move the ball like that on them, it might be a real bad day for the hawks, the pats are a much much better team than the packers.

15. Unifier

Unifier New Member

This'll be one of those years where I just sit back and watch with no bias. I could go either way. I'm ambivalent about the Patriots for some of the same reasons that have already been mentioned, but I would also be fine with the Seahawks repeating.

16. yepdone5

yepdone5 New Member

Seahawks back to back Super Bowl champion! :thumbsup:

17. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

In the grand scheme of things, it's just a game and a diversion...however even a game must maintain it's integrity by making sure all involved play by the rules.

11 of the 12 footballs used by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game were found to be under-inflated by an average of 18%.

Source: http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/i...-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

In wet weather, this may give a slight advantage to the offense as the QB can grip the football better, and the receivers and running backs might be less prone to fumbling. New England was the better team than the Indianapolis Colts....better coached, better tactics, better execution. There is no need to alter a football, essentially break the rules to gain a slight advantage, there is no need to hurt the integrity of the game.

The investigation is incomplete, but if indeed the Patriots altered the footballs against the rules...this is cheating. The team already had a reputation and in fact got caught cheating before and paid a $500K fine because of it.

If the allegations prove true and indeed the Patriots violated the rules and knowingly used under-inflated footballs below the minimum allowed. Bill Belichick hurts the integrity of the sport and should lose his job. I have nothing against the fans of the organization, the region or the peripheral aspects to the team. However from the ownership right on down the line...this team's record should have an asterisk....brand them with a scarlet C.

18. sec

sec Well-Known Member

much unknown

reports- a Colts equipment guy felt a ball during the game and brought it to the attention of the ref. This was in the first half

reports- the refs checked the balls during half time. The Patriots decimated the Colts in the 2nd half with 28 points to none, after the refs inspected/inflated the balls

reports- the actual game balls are secured after having been checked by refs and are not available until game time

19. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

It is not a question whether the slight advantage made a significant difference in the result of the game. It is a question of maintaining the game's integrity and following up with intentional violations of the established rules of said game..

The evidence points to the fact that the Patriots cheated. Anyone who defends this has about as much integrity as they do. The final score of the game is inconsequential to the action of intentionally violating league rules in regards to proper inflation of the footballs specifically done to gain a competitive advantage (also known as cheating).

20. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I get that

I also get the fact that the balls are inspected by the refs, then put into a bag/box and not to be open until game time, not practice time

so, either the refs totally missed it and should have inflated the balls, much like I have at many a football match (as a ref. real football btw)

Or, during the game, on the sideline, someone was deflating balls during the first half

21. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

Depends on the pressure in the footballs. Brady has small hands and requires 2#psi to be taken out of the balls to enable him to throw. The NFL now reminds me of the WBA.

22. Tahuyaman

Tahuyaman Well-Known Member

That sounds oddly similar to what people were saying about Denver and Peyton Manning prior to the 43-8 embarrassment they had to go through a year ago.

23. Tahuyaman

As it turns out, 11 of the 12 game balls were deflated. That's not a coincidence. I don't think that played a significant role in the game, but that incident combined with past actions does show that the Patriots are an organization that will do anything outside the rules they think they can get away with.

24. Tahuyaman

The coach of the Saints was suspended for a full season for something he had no knowledge of. he was suspended because he should have known and stopped it.

In this case, the NFL may blow it off because of the relationship between the Commissioner and Robert Kraft. Then again, they may be forced to penalize the Pats a first round draft pick. Their coach could face a suspension as well. If he had no direct involvement it could be a few games. if he had direct involvement, it could be an entire season.

My guess is that they will point the finger at the ball boy, or equipment manager.

25. AlphaOmega

Agreed. Its asinine to do because now their win will be a caveat. They would have won anyway so why bother cheating? I dont get it....but to report on the pats fans here.....whoa complete denial if you even mention it. DONT EVEN DISCUSS IT! Lol. I hate cheaters so...if you ask me kharma could be a (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) in the superbowl