Republic again

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Diuretic, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

I'm okay with the idea, I just don't think a lot of us realise just how much change is needed to become a republic. It's not just dumping the monarch and replacing that office with a president. Heck we couldn't even agree on how to do that!

Anyway, I like the Eire model if we're going to be a republic (except we don't consult with the Vatican and no Jesus talk).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Ireland

2. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

I also like the idea of being a republic, but we also need to address our constitution too, and have it be part of the new model.

3. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

Why go to all the time, trouble and expense to fix something that is not broken? An if we are not fixing but just changing, why? What would be the benefit?

4. culldav

Our current Government and political system and process is a stinking corrupt sewer from the top all the way to way down to the bottom, and broken into a hundred pieces. We cannot fix it. We need to replace it entirely.

5. Adultmale

No, the system is good, most of the people running it are stinking, corrupt sewer rats. What have you got in mind to replace it with?

6. culldav

I beg to differ. Whereby, we have a Government/political system set-up to favour the minority over the majority, and that is a broken system that stems back to antiquity. We need to progress into a modern progressive system that can eliminate corruption.

7. culldav

For one. I suggest we have an open transparent system. Whereby politicians/representatives and political parties have to work and live under the SAME laws and conditions as every other Australian citizen - no more Parliamentary privilege and closed doors on information.

If politicians are hired/elected by the Australian citizens to work for the Australian citizens, then the politicians SHOULD be working and living under the same conditions and laws as the citizens who hire/elect them. They should not be given any special privilege or advantage over anyone else who is working in Australia.

Its time politicians realised THEY are just public servants employed by the Australian citizens, and are not due anything special. Who do they think pays their wages?

8. Adultmale

So spell out this modern progressive system you speak of. How will it govern the country and how will it eliminate corruption?

9. Diuretic

I think the issue is to change from a constitutional monarchy to a constitutional republic. What use is it? Dunno. Perhaps a sense of identity?

10. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

Exactly.

11. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Sense of identity!!! For once I agree with DV, exactly...

.... perfect for all those lost delusional nitwits that have achieved nothing and like to think they've made a difference by doing stupid and innane cosmetic changes purely to 'feel good'. Little do they know its really whats inside them that makes them feel bad... they just project it out to complain about anything they think will make them sound 'special'. Lets change the flag so I can feel involved, then lets change it again in 20 years for the next generation of losers with no capacity for having a sense of identity.

Otherwise we already have an identity and changing the system of government or flag will change nothing of any importance, least of which identity.

12. DominorVobis

Please please please never agree with me, I am devistated that I wrote something you agreed with, washing my keyboard out with soap and water.

But .. in your opinion, what is our identity as a people?

13. axialturban

Our national 'identity'.... you mean nationalism? Nationalism a delusion which is used to segregate one from group from another, usually associated to competitive interaction, but any cultural driver of group identity. It's a delusion because not everyone will agree with it, and no-one really defines themselves by it, but wave it around to feel 'inclusive' because they lack the inner focus and commitment to stay connected the rest of the time. It's a facade, a mask.... not that there is anything wrong with any of those things. So there is no one answer for everyone, and trying to rally behind silly schemes is mass insanity for that reason alone, so if a republic has some actual concrete improvement in how things operate then I might give it a thought, otherwise its a f'ing waste of time and money to bother destroying something that is not broke, just because some sensitive victim types cherry pick history and crack a hissy fit about it.

14. DominorVobis

So you have nothing ... thought as much lol

15. Diuretic

I'm not a nationalist or a nativist, heck I can't be, I was 15 when I came to this country. I do think it would be a good thing for the nation though. What confuses me is that there is a lot of anti-British sentiment here but we seem to cling to the British monarchy. I think a quiet conversation on how a republic would reinforce our national identity - not breed nationalism - is warranted.

16. axialturban

Cannot have anything of something which does not actually exist, haha but seriously, each person will pick individual things which their peer networks also agree with. Things like Australia day keep it simple to achieve a broader 'group' approaching a concept of nation... like the colour blue, the flag, thongs, BBQ etc etc etc, but these things really have no relevance to anything beyond that and so highlite my point nicely. It used to be the boxing kangaroo and green and gold before the Olympic crowd claimed it as their own. Back in the 80's there was a push around that for a new flag etc, because a new national identity developed sufficient baseline support.... but doing it on the back of a concept alone, a government one at that, seems a bit like a waste of time as it tries to use anti-English emotion as something to bring us together. Why do the left always want to follow the USA I don't know, but irregardless I do not think its good culture to build an identity as a reaction to something bad which does not really exist. It makes us look more stupid then the false claims about how having cultural ties to our own past is somehow bad.

17. culldav

I think the introduction of politicians/governments/political parties as stated in my post #7 would be a good start to a new system, and a means to stop corruption. When everyone has to live & work by the same laws and conditions as everyone else, then we might just see an end to ALL corruption - openness and transparency is the key.

When current politicians and other people are able to play by different laws and live under different conditions to the rest of the citizens, then of course, we are always going to have corruption. Stop that, and we stop corruption.

18. DaS Energy

DaS Energy New Member

Some Australians already identify with being Australian. Not Abbott of course, he cant work out who he identifies with Australia or Britain, its two bob each way for him!

19. DominorVobis

Actually I think if he had to choose he would pick the UK

20. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

And that's how a conservative thinks! The process would not be aiming to fix but advance..or.....progress : ). It's a matter of national psyche. Abbott and co think we are incapable of functioning as a nation without the support of mother England and is quite noticeable in his knighting fiasco. At this moment in time I don't think australia has shown it's true potential on many facets. We no doubt feel sub-consciously inferior because we collectively as a nation feel like we are being baby sat by big mumma who is constantly looking over our shoulder. By not having individual identity we will remain subservient and sense this in our national sub-consciousness! Once Australia, and it will happen, takes the republican step you will see massive progression because we will be seemingly dependent on our selves. Hell, staying home because mumma makes your lunch and gives you pocket money for the rest of your life has to have negative implications!

Time for us to grow up and show our potential Australia. No one will steal our thunder anymore!

21. culldav

I completely with these comments, in that its time Australia grew up and moved beyond its subservience towards mother England. But, I am just wondering if Australia's inability to take the next progressive step to function as an autonomous independent country/nations has more to do with Australia being such a multicultural country. In that Australia is not their native homeland, and they really couldn't give a damn what happens to it.

22. DominorVobis

Congratulations, I have added to your reputation

23. Adultmale

You are blathering. As usual.

24. DominorVobis

and you would know all about blathering, you could probably write a thesis on it. ROFL

You still haven't answered BB's question, and I know exactly why. Because YOU HAVE NOTHING

25. Adultmale

blah blah blah blah