What if the Democrats hadn't have gotten us into Iraq?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by ArmySoldier, Jan 26, 2015.

?

What if the Democrats hadn't have gotten us into Iraq?

1. We would still have deployed regardless

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. The Republicans might not have been as convinced to go to war

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. The Democrats would have stopped at nothing for war regardless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Without their persistance, there would not have been a war

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Fateful decisions will be made in the days and weeks ahead. At issue is nothing less than the fundamental question of whether or not we can keep the most lethal weapons known to mankind out of the hands of an unreconstructed tyrant and aggressor who is in the same league as the most brutal dictators of this century."
    Sen. Joe Biden (D, DE), Feb. 12, 1998

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"It is essential that a dictator like Saddam not be allowed to evade international strictures and wield frightening weapons of mass destruction. As long as UNSCOM is prevented from carrying out its mission, the effort to monitor Iraqi compliance with Resolution 687 becomes a dangerous shell game. Neither the United States nor the global community can afford to allow Saddam Hussein to continue on this path."
    Sen. Tom Daschle (D, SD), Feb. 12, 1998

"This December will mark three years since United Nations inspectors last visited Iraq. There is no doubt that since that time, Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to refine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL) and others, Dec, 5, 2001.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002.

"My position is very clear: The time has come for decisive action to eliminate the threat posed by Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. I'm a co-sponsor of the bipartisan resolution that's presently under consideration in the Senate. Saddam Hussein's regime is a grave threat to America and our allies..."
    John Edwards (D, NC), Oct. 7, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force — if necessary — to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

As you can see, the Democrats, well before Bush even took the white house, had their sights on an invasion of the state of Iraq. What would have happened had the Democrats not been so eager to invade? Nancy Pelosi, House intell chair, had all the evidence to invade and made sure that it was carried out by the President.

Where would we be today if the warmongering left had not been so persistant?

Would we have still invaded Iraq?

2. ArmySoldier

My apologies, I'm still asleep. I now realize choice 1 and choice 3 are the same. Please disregard this embarrassing mistake.

3. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

"Fateful decisions will be made in the days and weeks ahead. At issue is nothing less than the fundamental question of whether or not we can keep the most lethal weapons known to mankind out of the hands of an unreconstructed tyrant and aggressor who is in the same league as the most brutal dictators of this century."
    Sen. Joe Biden (D, DE), Feb. 12, 1998

Biden was reading off the same sheet of neocon- and Mossad-amped intelligence BushCo was. The difference is that BushCo ordered and shaped the intelligence and paid neocons Wm. Kristol and Judith Miller to disseminate it on Fox. Damn clever, those neocons, but Leon Trotsky wrote the manual.

4. ArmySoldier

But what are your thoughts on all of the Democrats cited above beating the war drum?

5. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

if Gore won the election, we would NOT have invaded Iraq.

and ISIS would not exist.

6. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

What's this? A fantasy thread? A lame attempt to rewrite history? The Iraq invasion is solely in Bush's lap. To state or imply otherwise is just simply asinine.

7. ArmySoldier

Can you please provide me with an explination for your tantrum? Which quote are you debating?

- - - Updated - - -

Which of these war mongering quotes are you questioning? Be specific, as every source has been cited for you.

8. Raised Right

Raised Right Member

If Obama had let the generals on the ground finish their mission, we wouldn't have ISIS either.

Instead, Obama wanted to bolster his chances for re-election in 2012; thus, with unsupervised savages running the country, most of Iraq turned into ISIS strongholds soon thereafter.

9. ArmySoldier

Obama changed the rules of engagement so it become much easier for the enemy to kill us. The 'wait to get shot' rule, along with him NOT listening to his Generals, is what makes him the worst Commander in Chief in US history.

10. Raised Right

Raised Right Member

Sure, the invasion of Iraq was former-President Bush's decision.

But it would have been a success, had Obama not played politics and listened to his generals on the ground. Now, to suggest otherwise to THAT FACT is simply asinine.

11. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Quite so, it's a distortion thread based on Big Lie. Once again we see conservatives using Nazi propaganda techniques. Yes, a few Democrats were fooled by neoconservative propaganda pushing their overall idea that we should invade Iraq and use it as a platform to influence the Middle East. This went back to the late 90s and resulted in the formation of a faction in Congress which wanted to do that. HOWEVER, this faction was not a Democratic Party faction and was substantially opposed by most of the Democratic Caucus.

The distortion of the truth here has been used by the Republicans to excuse their lickspittle devotion to Bush which involved us in Iraq since it became evident of just how big a mistake Iraq really was. ArmySoldier is now distorting the truth even further and positing that the Iraq War was a Democrat idea pushed on innocent Republicans. He had thus turned a Distortion into a Big Lie, a very typical Nazi technique.

12. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I pretty much believe that they were misled and steam-rollered. That's no excuse for either their gutlessness or lack of diligence. I also believe most Republicans were mislead and steam-rollered, but they wanted to be. They would have invaded Iraq if Saddam stood outside and farted into a haboob.

13. ArmySoldier

Please be specific. Which of these war mongering quotes are you claiming is a Big Lie? I've cited the sources which also have videos along with the official transcripts of the speeches.

Please cite us your sources that these are "lies" they've stated. We will wait.... :)

14. ArmySoldier

Who misled them, Bill Clinton? Did you see the DATES of these speeches? The Democrats ran the HOUSE INTELLIGENCE committee. The President was DEMOCRAT.

Please explain your outrageous claims

15. Aleksander Ulyanov

Unverifiable speculation. It might just as well have turned out that continuance of the techniques in use would have just prolonged the war and continued to stiffen Iraqi resistance as it had done nothing else but that up until that time. The government that Obama had to deal with was led by the very man Bush himself had lobbied to be placed there, over the objections of a substantial number of Iraqis et al

The State of Iraq is, quite literally, where history began, the oldest civilization on Earth. It has survived war and invasions for about 6 millennia. It was not run by "unsupervised savages" until we invaded and took it over

16. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

What a predictable right wing attempt to remove any responsibility from Bush. LOL

17. toddwv

Your thread title: "What if the Democrats hadn't have gotten us into Iraq? "

18. toddwv

Successful at what? There was no real long-term goal. THERE WAS NO WAY FOR THE US TO WIN IN IRAQ. The goal of PNAC was to use it as a permanent base for more Middle East meddling. We never should've went in, and we never should have stayed there for so long.

Again, the troop withdrawal agreement was signed by Bush, not Obama.

19. Aleksander Ulyanov

I stated that they were part of a propaganda technique. This technique was being used to support the neocon agenda

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17194.htm

and googol, "neocon agenda"

In re this thread, I think you and rangecontraction are misusing the polls feature in a way that amounts to a propaganda technique itself

20. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I'll do you a favor and disregard the entire embarrassing thread from this point forward. ;)

21. Raised Right

Raised Right Member

Of course former-President Bush is responsible for the invasion of Iraq. I don't happen to think the initial action was a bad move.

If Obama had allowed the generals on the ground to FINISH THEIR MISSION, ISIS wouldn't exist. Instead, Obama played politics and wanted to bolster his chances for re-election in 2012 by "bringing our troops home!" That's all I'm contending; I don't happen to think that contention is outrageous.

22. Latherty

Latherty Well-Known Member

I doubt the USA would have gone to war without either the UK or the Democrats. The UK would not have gotten on board if the Democrats were vocally against it.

23. ArmySoldier

So what you're saying is, these warmongering Democrats in fact made these statements? Thank you

24. ArmySoldier

So you are refusing to be specific and to point out anything that isn't true? I cited sources which contain the videos of their speeches ALONG with the transcripts.

I ask again (but don't expect an answer), which of these quotes from the warmongering left are not true?

25. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

The Iraq was is the direct result of a desired call to action by the Bush Administration. There's nothing you can say that can change that. Everything else is an attempt to deflect responsibility for the failed outcome of that war.

I actually supported the initially entry into Iraq, but we overstayed. But I'm not going to chicken out and start blaming Democrats who foolishly went along with Bush for the ride.