Children will win the fight for same sex marriage and adoption by gays!

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by ProgressivePatriot, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ProgressivePatriot

ProgressivePatriot Well-Known Member

While marriage equality for gay and lesbian people is making astounding advances and is likely to be the law of the land by next June, there are still many who are resisting the inevitable. Opponents of equality are at the end of their legal rope, with every argument ever devised having been decimated by the courts. The most egregious of those arguments is that gay people make bad parents, that children should have a mom and a dad, and that they do less well when they don’t. All of that has been debunked numerous times but that is not the focus of this post. Rather, it is that like it or not, for better or worse, gay people do and will continue to have children in their care and when we allow discrimination against those gay parents, we penalize the children.

Marriage Equality and adoption…The Right Thing to do For The Children By Progressive Patriot 9.12.14

People who use children to assail gay marriage and adoption either have not given much thought to the down side of these bans-or – are being intellectually dishonest in saying that they take their position on behalf of the children which they really care little about.

It is a logical fallacy-an appeal to ignorance if you will to insist that same sex marriage and adoption of children by gays will be detrimental to those children, and that society as a whole, will somehow be harmed by these arrangements. Many will take the position that children are entitled to a “mom and a dad” That may be so but the reality is that many people in this life do not have everything that they are entitled to. There are many children without both a mother and a father, and some without either. Banning gay marriage and adoption is not going to change that.

Children also have a right to a stable, nurturing and permanent home and it is well established that that goal can be realized in a variety of family structures. The NJ Department of Families and Children-the public agency charged with the responsibility of finding adoptive homes for children –states, in part, on their web site that no one will be denied the opportunity to adopt based on sexual orientation. In fact, the Department’s Division of Child Protection and Permanency (formerly DYFS) has been placing children for adoption with gay and lesbian people- those who are single and those who are in a relationship- for decades with good outcomes for the children. And there are many, many more who still need homes while there is a dearth of people willing and able to adopt them. I know this because I worked in the foster care and adoption field in New Jersey for 26 years. I might add that children who are placed for adoption are already in a situation where they have neither a mother nor a father available to them. To imply that that a child would better off languishing in the foster care system as a ward of the state, than to be adopted into a nontraditional family is beyond absurd.

Furthermore, the vast majority of child psychologists will tell you that there are far more important factors that impact a child’s development than the gender or sexual orientation of the parents. No doubt that one could dredge up research studies that claim to prove that gay parenting is harmful. However, well established organizations like the American Psychological Association take the position that gay and lesbian parents are just as capable of rearing emotionally healthy children as anyone else. Yet even if family composition was, as some purport, a critical factor in children’s development, the fact is that there are and will always be children in non-traditional living situations where they do not have a mother and a father. Like it or not, it is also a fact that gay and lesbian people have children, be it from a prior relationship, adoption, or surrogacy.

Denying gay and lesbians the opportunity to marry does nothing to ensure that any greater number of children will have a home with a mother and a father. All that will be accomplished will be to deny numerous children the legal rights, protections, status and stability that comes with having married parents. And, to deny gays the ability to adopt will only ensure that more children will have neither a mother nor a father. Everyone is entitled to their moral views and religious beliefs but it is disingenuous and opprobrious to use children as pawns in the lost fight against equality by bloviating about how children would be harmed by it. While single people can be great parents, the benefits to children of having two parents is undeniable

The benefits to children of allowing two people who are in a committed relationship to be married are obvious for anyone willing to look at the issue objectively. Those who truly care about children should be willing to open all of the possible pathways for them to be adopted and to have married parents when possible.

2. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I fully support the efforts of 2 women or 2 men to try and procreate on their own.

With respect to placing children into an environment of gay sex, I would consider that as a final option only after qualified heterosexual environments are exhausted.

Children do not need to be exposed to gay sex so early in their lives. They should be exposed to male/female parenting.

3. sec

sec Well-Known Member

why the hostility and insults?

A child cannot be created by you and your male partner. Nature does not allow that. You wish to toss aside parenting for who only knows what reason.

In the event that a child is an orphan or abandoned, then exhaust all measures and place the child into a home with a male/female couple

After that, single people are an option including those who enjoy gay sex

I don't know what you think you read but I am not against allowing children to go into a home which permeates with gay sex. If they are willing to raise and nurture the child, and there are no heterosexual environments available, then so be it.

I can understand your perspective as despite no medical proof, you believe that you and all other homosexuals were born that way.

I on the other hand believe that something triggered it and some day will be 100% treatable if caught early before it becomes habitual. Behavioral disorders are easier treated if caught and addressed early.

Neither opinion can be proven however I do not get all hostile and toss insults at those with opposing opinions.

4. ProgressivePatriot

You are so obsessed with gay sex and apparently too intellectually challenged to understand that the main point of my article was to support marriage and legal adoption by gay people in order to provide more legal and financial security FOR THE CHILDREN THAT THEY ALREADY HAVE IN THEIR CARE AND FOR THOSE THAT THEY WILL INEVITALBLY HAVE BY WHATEVER MEANS. It has NOTHING to do with procreation or being born that way. Yes, your words are indeed worthy of all of the scorn, ridicule and hostility that I've expressed. Now, do you support legal marriage for gays FOR THE WELL BEING OF THE CHILDREN?

5. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

LOL, you cannot argue with the closed minded. The homofascists are beyond any rational or even respectful debate, even a slight dissension against the gay agenda sends them into a rage, blind revenge is all they care about even if it means children pay the price. They are going too far, the tide is slowly turning against them.

6. sec

sec Well-Known Member

obsessed? If you say so

I simply prefer to wash away the double-talk and call things as they are. Homosexuals engage in gay sex. They don't breathe differently, they are not a a different sex or species.

With that said, placing children into homosexual homes is exposing them to gay sex. If you place children into a home of thieves you are exposing them to those who steal. Place them into homes of real estate agents then they are exposed to selling homes.

The question you pose boils down to a simple question

Should heterosexuals be given preference when placing children into homes? I of course say ABSOLUTELY yes and you of course say no.

By pushing for what seems like doing what is best for the children is in fact pushing the homosexual agenda where you are trying to validate your lifestyle as being equal or normal compared with heterosexuals. Sadly, you wish to use children as pawns and some are too blind to see that.

I do not and never have condoned tossing kids onto the street. No Christian would ever do that.

I do however know how babies are made and what is required to do that, and that it's best for a child to be raised in a home where the parent(s) lives a normal sexual lifestyle.

7. sec

sec Well-Known Member

it is nothing more than using children as a means to try and validate the homosexual lifestyle. Frankly, it's disgusting and despicable that homosexuals would use children as pawns as they try and push their agenda.

8. ProgressivePatriot

That's right: you cannot argue with the closed minded. Please go back and re-read the OP. Concentrate. Try to grasp the points made. Then, please explain how I'm wrong in saying that children are penalized as the result of discrimination against their gay parents by not allowing them to marry or to adopt. Try to keep in mind that- for the most part- I'm talking about children who are already in the care of gay people- whether you like it or not. The question is what do we do in terms of the law and public policy to give them the most in terms of legal and financial security? Focus on that. Lets see what you come up with. Let's talk about what price children pay and how exactly.

9. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would respect your opinion if you did not use children to gain a social status. Children do not make you who you are. Many heterosexual couples are not fit to be parents and I imagine the same could be said for gay couples.

This is a very odd thread and shows a dark side of people regardless of who they are using children. I would like to also point out that gays are not immune to the social ills that effects our society.

Gays are nothing special but pretending they are for the sake of children is twisted.

10. sec

sec Well-Known Member

then address the root cause

It's much like having to deal with children of alcoholics, gamblers and other dangerous habits which do affect the children.

Why do you not focus on the root cause of the "problem" which you claim exists? Why not work toward understanding why you and others chose the homosexual lifestyle? Maybe it's too late for you to change given the length of time, but why not give those who are considering it, a shot at a normal life?

If we can find why alcoholics choose alcohol, and address it, then we won't have children of alcoholics. The same would hold true for homosexuals.

11. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Do you also "Fully Support" the efforts of infertile hetero couples to procreate?

Do you feel children should be exposed to strait sex?

What do you feel would be the reasons behind your answers?

12. ProgressivePatriot

Using children to gain social status? Seriously? Where is that coming from? Gay folks do not need to use children to gain status. Open your eyes. Gays are in fact gaining social status simply as human beings and members of the community. Yes, all sorts of people may make very good or very bad parents and may have children for the right or the wrong reasons. Can you accept the possibility that gay people can have and nurture children for the right reasons and that they can do it well, like anyone else?

Apparently, you, like certain others here have completely missed the point of the OP. Let me try to get you focused. GIVEN THE FACT that gay people have children in their care, do you or do you not support laws and policies that allow those children-who did not choose their living arrangement- to have the legal and financial advantages of having two legal parents who are married. Yes or no? It's a very simple question.

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

61% of young REPUBLICANS support gay marriage rights.

At worst?....we merely need to WAIT for a few OLD Republicans to..."move on."

14. ProgressivePatriot

Full House of Love.png

A Full House Built On Love

Nette & Jasmine Archangel | Ruston, LA http://www.freedomtomarry.org/story/entry/a-full-house-built-on-love

15. ProgressivePatriot

parenting_large_2013[1].png

The number of LGBT-headed families continues to grow, as does our need to secure legal equality, fairness and respect for LGBT parents and to provide environments where all children are welcome, supported and loved. HRC provides current resources that address the many potential paths to parenthood as well as tools for issues facing LGBT-headed families or LGBT youth. http://www.hrc.org/topics/parenting

16. ProgressivePatriot

Here is a clear example of the lengths to which opponents of same sex marriage, and child rearing by gays will go in order to manipulate data and distort evidence to support their narrow minded and bigoted agenda.

Michigan Update:

Now, tell me again, who is using the children for their own purposes. No, gays are not special, but they are honest and just as deserving of rights and respect as anyone else. :confusion::confusion::confusion:

17. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Thinking about somebody if the same sex in a romantic way is an act.

18. Toefoot

So, both sides are twisted and you want me to think your stance is normal? Let children be children. I did a history search with your name. Seems you only involve yourself with gay threads not only here but on other forums.

You carry a self inflicted unnecessary heavy burden that is not healthy. Well, that is how I look at it.

19. ProgressivePatriot

You had previously made the idiotic assertion that gay people want children to increase their social status. I redirected you to the OP and asked to a straight forward question :

Instead of answering it , you continue to assert that gays are some how "twisting things" and suggesting that my position is "not normal" What is not normal? I'll tell you what is not normal. "Not normal" is someone who does not have the conviction or integrity to answer a simple, straight forward question honestly.

Rather, you now resort to making reference to the threads and forums that I'm on, as though that would obscure that fact that you dodged the question. I can only assume that you are in fact willing to sacrifice the well being of the children which results from maintaining discriminatory policies towards gays.

20. Toefoot

Look, this will be the last time I will respond to you for a couple months, small doses is best.

My point is gays and heterosexuals need to keep children out of this war. Simple.

21. ProgressivePatriot

So you won't actually answer the question. OK, so noted. My assumption about your position is obviously a fair one then. It is not the gays who are using children as a weapon. They just want to be parents. I have documented the tactics used by those who are opposed to equality and the negative effects on children. Neither you or anyone else has provided any evidence that gay folks are doing anything to harm or exploit the children. It is a simple truth to say that children are harmed by discrimination against gay parents and they have every right to make that case. The bigots just need to shut up and get out of the way.

22. ProgressivePatriot

Here we go again. They keep telling these lies as though the court and the rest of us were stupid. What is stupid is that they think that they can get away with this. If they actually believe that this equine excrement supports an argument against same sex marriage, it is even more ridiculous. I smell desperation as we get closer to a Supreme Court Decision the outcome of which is becoming increasingly obvious..

23. ProgressivePatriot

The Republican war on LGBT children!!

24. ProgressivePatriot

Today, March 2, federal Judge Joseph F. Bataillon in Nebraska ruled in favor of the freedom to marry, striking down the state's ban on marriage between same-sex couples -- a decision that will take effect on March 9, 2015 at 8:00am. A hearing in the case was held on Thursday, February 19.

Freedom to Marry president Evan Wolfson said today:

Every day loving and committed couples are denied the freedom to marry in the decreasing number of states that continue to discriminate against same-sex couples and their families is a day of tangible hardships and indignity. Fortunately, Nebraska may soon no longer be one of those discriminating states, thanks to today's strong ruling from yet another court -- the 65th in the past two years -- affirming the freedom to marry. It is time for the U.S. Supreme Court to bring the country to national resolution and end marriage discrimination for all Americans.

Judge Bataillon's ruling stated:

Nebraska's “Defense of Marriage" Constitutional Amendment, Section 29, is an unabashedly gender-specific infringement of the equal rights of its citizens. The State primarily offers as its rational basis for this gender-specific discrimination the encouragement of biological family units. The essence of this rationale has been rejected by most courts and by no less than the Supreme Court. With the advent of modern science and modern adoption laws, same sex couples can and do responsibly raise children. Unfortunately, this law inhibits their commendable efforts.

For the majority of married couples, those without children in the home, marriage is a legal and emotional commitment to the welfare of their partner. The State clearly has the right to encourage couples to marry and provide support for one another. However, those laws must be enforced equally and without respect to gender.
    http://www.freedomtomarry.org/blog/...braska-rules-in-favor-of-the-freedom-to-marry :clapping::clapping::clapping:

25. Unifier

Unifier New Member

STOP USING KIDS FOR YOUR OWN SELFISH AGENDA!

I am so tired of this.

I can't speak for anyone else. But there are two major things that turn me off completely from supporting any LGBT causes:

1) The shameless using of kids without any sincere regard for how they are being affected.

2) The flagrant bigotry and discrimination against Christians for standing by their faith.

When you do these things, you leave people like me with no choice but to oppose you and be a thorn in your side. If you are interested in things that only involve you, then that's a discussion we can have. But the minute you start stepping on children and Christians, you've turned me against you. Just something you might want to consider. Maybe your unwillingness to bend on some things is unnecessarily turning people against you.

^This made me laugh.

^THANK YOU! Common sense.