Tunnel Rats Tour Coming Up March 28 ...

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Strasser, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Strasser

Strasser Banned

2. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sea Story Time:

In 69 my naval gunfire spot team was TAD (temporary attached) to a Marine rifle platoon that was on a patrol in the bush. Those who were in-country remember the snakes in Vietnam, cobras, the "two step" pit vipers and the Burmese Python that can be close to 19 feet long and there are stories that they have killed and eaten humans.

We were going down a trail one day when all of a sudden the point man opened up with automatic fire from his M-16. Everyone hit the dirt looking for Charley. Then I noticed up the trail that there were a group of Marines standing in a circle. Went up to see what the (*)(*)(*)(*) was going on.

What I saw was the largest snake I ever seen in my life, a python that had to be the length of three men. In the group of Marines looking at the snake was a FNG PFC who was the platoon's new tunnel rat who's only been in-country for a few weeks, a tall lanky skinny Latino from East L.A.

The platoon LT. said " This snake is large enough to eat a Marine"

The platoon sergeant then said "Explains what happened to our last tunnel rat."

Then everyone looked at the new tunnel rat and his eyes bugged out and you could see the fear in his face.

Then we all started laughing. The former tunnel rat actually rotated out after finishing his 13 month tour of duty.

When a tunnel rat entered one of Charley's tunnels he was only armed with a flashlight and a .45 pistol.