NBA Hall of Famer: Black people need to stop looking for handouts

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by HTownMarine, Feb 14, 2015.

1. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Malone told host Marc Lamont Hill,

“I echo [Barkley’s] sentiments exactly. We need to look in the mirror ourselves and stop waiting on someone to come march on our behalf. Take ownership ourself, make our community better and stop looking for a handout. Do something about it yourself that you can control.”

Neither Barkley nor Malone have backed away from the comments. Malone added, “Stop using the excuse about race. I am sick and tired that every time you turn around, that’s what we dangle … Our problem now is we do so much talking and beating things to death. Let’s take ownership in ourselves … stop waiting for someone to come in and march for us.”

http://www.tpnn.com/2015/02/14/nba-hall-of-famer-black-people-need-to-stop-looking-for-a-handout/

++++++++++++++++

So not only did Charles Barkley speak up, but now Karl Malone is backing him up. Truer words have never been spoken.

Will the black community rally around this advice? Or will he be an outcast now, forever labeled an Uncle Tom because he thinks blacks need some personal responsibility?

2. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

Whenever Angry White Guys can find some privileged Black Guy that says what they want to hear him say, they will hype it via TP media outlets.

There is nothing surprising about that whatsoever, and he is certainly entitled to speak for himself, just as every American, regardless of colour or gender, is free to speak for herself.

3. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm not angry, and not white.

But what's you're take on what he said? Or are you another one who just wants to chime in about everything other than what his quote. Feel free to divulge your thoughts on his sentiment.

4. Natty Bumpo

As I noted, he's a privileged Black guy entitled to his opinion that is, inevitably, based upon his personal privileged perspective that was hyped on a TP website because they obviously like it.

I really do not think that the opinions of affluent celebrities carry inordinate weight or necessarily apply to the majority, regardless of race, but the high profile such stars enjoy occasions their notions being hyped by those that find them pleasing.

Should Black Americans "stop waiting on someone to come march on our behalf" as Malone suggests? I wasn't remotely aware they were doing that, but if anyone other than Mr Malone is, he certainly should march for himself if he likes marching.

5. GeddonM3

GeddonM3 Well-Known Member

Entitled black guy? And tell me, what did he do to become entitled ? Was he born with millions? Was he just given the opportunity to become what he did or did he get off his ass and work hard to become the legendary basketball player he once was?

Maybe more blacks should listen to him, I'd say he knows what he is talking about.

6. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

I would take the opinions of two former NBA stars who have continued to thrive outside their basketball careers over another privileged Black guy residing in the White House who is nothing more than an excuse machine and has caused more racial division than anyone else this side of Eric Holder.

7. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

Did Hill go into a coma after hearing Malone's remarks? I doubt he took it well.

8. Natty Bumpo

He's an American and, as I noted, he is entitled to his opinion because he has freedom of speech under the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

If you do not believe that he is entitled to his opinion, upon what do you base yours?

9. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

the rich have gotten too greedy and taken too much of the pie.... they need to pay workers a fair wage... share the wealth... it's better for everyone that way, greed is destroying this nation, be it by the poor or by the rich

a poor person takes $100 in food stamos to survive and the right gets upset

the rich take millions and the right says that's ok, they are rich, we should reward them for being rich

this is the republicans idea of giving everyone a equal tax cut, I say give everyone the same amount when you want to hand out money, give everyone $500.00 or $5000.00, but do it equally

[​IMG]

10. Natty Bumpo

You would prefer two ex-jocks whose attitudes you find acceptable over the twice popularly-elected leader of the nation.

That does not surprise me.

That is the only reason a TP media source would hype particular ex-jocks and not others.

11. kreo

kreo Well-Known Member

Why should they stop? Blacks have more power then White (European-Americans), so Whites should pay tributes as defeated enemy.

12. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why limit the suggestion to people who are black? The federal government spent $13,000 per person last year, 19 out of 20 families who file returns aren't contributing that. Most of this country is living off of handouts.

13. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Bake your own pie.

14. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

Maybe government should stop stealing from businesses so they can pay their employees that "fair wage".

Let's take Staples, the office supply corporation. For every $100 of merchandise they sell, they make $2.70 in profit. From that same $100 of merchandise, state and local government makes $7. From that same $100 of merchandise, federal takes 30% pre-tax income.

Most companies pay far more in taxes than they realize in profits.

It's time to get government out of business.

15. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

Indeed. They are speaking to the truth. Something that is anathema to the village idiot that was twice elected by pathetic stars-in-their-eyes morons.

16. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

If those are their profit margins they are terrible business people.

Try again.

17. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

At least someone out there is tackling the other side of this issue. I am so sick of watching people be labeled racist just because they bring up the factual data of crime statistics when it comes to the black community.

At some point people have to hold themselves and others responsible for their own actions. That is how our society works. If you break the law you face the punishment for your crime. That isn't racism. That's justice.

18. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

The amount of nonsense you spam on this board is second only to Agent of Huff-n-Puke.

But that's beside the point of you not agreeing with the reality of what real Black leaders have to say.

Which is that these lazy degenerate gibs me dat second class citizen Black people need to stop acting like worthless perpetual victims thinking the whole World is to be handed to them.

And they probably would if only liberalism would stop dangling welfare dollars in front of them and pointing a finger at "da White man" saying hes to blame for all your self inflicted problems.

19. northwinds

northwinds Well-Known Member Past Donor

How many payrolls have you ever made?

20. blackharvest216

blackharvest216 Banned

Blacks in america need reparations not a "handout" the average wealth of black's in America is $12,000 the average wealth of whites is $160,000

Blacks in america have more in common with whites than do with Africans. They have the same names, language, and religion yet because of white supremacy they're doomed to be permanent second class citizens

Unlike Italians Chinese or Hispanics they have no ethnic group thwycan give back too

21. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

We have two disparate messages both in the black community and in the larger debate about poverty in and outside the minority community. We keep trying to turn them into dueling messages in a culture war and they needn't be.

A message of compassion, empathy and advocacy is an appropriate message in some circumstances, among some subsets of the culture, and in some parts of country wherein we as a community must see poverty in a holistic way, and search for ways to make our response to poverty more effective, more certain and more immediate. There are real tears in the safety net and too many of our most vulnerable left wounded and scarred by an indifferent, callous and cold response to economic earthquakes that ravage and crush long before real effective relief arrives.

There is another equally vital message of self determination, independence and a refusal to live or teach a life of excuses and victimhood that must co-exist and resonate in the exact same culture, among many of the same populations. There definitely is a place for some 'tough love'. We cannot accept unchallenged a mentality of entitlement and negativity seeping through entire communities and generations of the our poor while initiative slowly dies and a myopic apathy infects and drains.

We need to stop applauding one message and sneering at the other, in a partisan and divisive effort to gain ideological or political advantage out of either truths. This isn't an ideological war that needs to be fought, Because both sets of individual and social values need to co-exist and flourish together.

Why can't we admit that both the Cosby message and the Jackson message serve a purpose depending on the moment, the audience and the circumstance. Sometimes excuses are just that, victimhood becomes self fulfilling and cancerous and entire communities suffer from an epidemic. Sometimes racism and poverty are all consuming, swallowing any real answers, and ravaging hope and spirit for neighborhoods and familes and those become the cancers that kill.

22. northwinds

What a bunch of nonsensical rubbish.........Whites have a greater net worth because they work harder, value education for their children, defer gratification and generally adhere to the Protestant work ethic. Instead of buying a new set of $20,000 rims they put money into their kids college accounts. "Nobody ever gave me nothing" is a quote from my father.......and it applies to me as well.......and I am a liquid millionaire today......so cry me a river black folks.....

23. Stuart Wolfe

Stuart Wolfe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Perhaps you can explain then why it is the Boat People came over here in the 70's with absolutely nothing, couldn't even speak the language, experienced racism themselves - and yet have advanced far, far further than blacks have. Is it that they have some kind of super-powers blacks lack, or maybe there's another reason?

24. blackharvest216

blackharvest216 Banned

Might have more to so with the fact that blacks weren't allowed to vote or or go to college or even a decent elementary school until a few
    decades ago or that thsy werent allowed too own homes in. most good neighborhoods or get jobs that
    paid well

Heck Obama was born in a time when blacks couldn't vote and look what he did. Meanwhile your white and I'm guessing you work at coal mine or something like that

U should just be honest and suggest blacks should be enslaved by whites permanently that is your opinion isn't it???

25. northwinds

What a load of nonsense........have you ever visited the Herndon Home in Atlanta? Nobody in my family has ever lived in a mansion like that......but please continue to play the victim.......and pass it along to your children.........works well for my progeny