I hang my head in shame today

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by APACHERAT, Feb 17, 2015.

1. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

For the first time in my life I hang my head in shame because U.S. Marines let down the Corps, let down their country and let down God.

Marines Destroyed All Weapons in Yemen Evacuation

Including their rifles !!!

It's SOP if a Marine is about to be captured or is ordered to surrender by his military superiors, artillery guns are to be spiked, the breech locks removed and disposed of. Crew served weapons are made unopoerable. But a Marine never destroys his rifle. In combat all Marines will die with their rifles in their hands. If ordered to surrender, they will keep their rifle in their possession until presented to the enemy in a military fashion.

When these Marines evacuated the embassy, I sure hope they didn't leave with sling arms. That's also another disgrace to Corps and country.

Marines were ordered (by who ? Obama civilian minions ?) to remove the bolts from their rifles. (for the past six years Marines have had a lot experience being ordered to remove the bolts from their rifles because Obama doesn't trust Marines) Then told to take a sludge hammers to the bolts.

Look at what Obama has done to our Corps and our country. Obama is a disgrace. I don't think God is smiling upon Obama today.

2. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Standard bug out procedure to destroy any weapons the bad guys could potentially use if they must be left behind. These were the crew served weapons they were leaving. The (*)(*)(*)(*) must have really hit the fan if they were taking a commercial airliner out of dodge. They clearly wanted to maintain a minimal military presence.

Better to bug out then repeat another Benghazi.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

This is the part that really bothers me here:

WTF, they left without weapons at all? Only the State Department could have been stupid enough to give such an order. The same State Department that has it's spokeshole make a statement like creating jobs for terrorists will end terror.

The more I hear of this administration, the more I am convinced it is run by retarded 3 year olds. They would have to give me a written order which specified I would be in violation of Article 92 before I surrendered my weapon to be destroyed and left a hostile country defenseless. And no, it is absolutely within the right of any servicemember to request that an order be placed in writing before carrying it out. That then prevents the kind of "I did not order him/her to do that!" or "They misunderstood what I told them to do" type of claim later on down the line if it is then questioned.

4. Mushroom

In these situations unless the State Department was prepared for this in advance and had plans laid out (South Vietnam 1985) they typically use commercial air.

Shows just how clueless the administration was for this to have caught them with their pants around their ankles.

5. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

republicans wanted them to leave weapons behind so the enemy could get ahold of them, then they would of blamed this administration, that is the real reason they are upset

6. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fresh, you are so over the top and out of bounds on this. Heard something today on the news that the State Department panic emails are being reviewed during the evac. Seems they did not follow protocol.

Never trust your health to the State Department.

7. Mushroom

[​IMG]

8. APACHERAT

American soldiers and Marines don't bug out, they just attack in a different direction.

Crew served weapons is one thing, it is SOP to make crew served weapons inoporable if they are likely to fall in enemy hands or a lawful order was given to surrender. But in no circumstance is an American Marine, soldier, sailor or airmen is ever suppose to abandon his rifle, destroy his rifle and is suppose to keep possession of his piece until he surrenders it to his captives in a military fashion.

By the Marines destroying their personal rifles was the same as surrendering in violation of the Code of Conduct.
    If the Marines left the embassy with their rifles slinged over their shoulders, that's also a disgrace to the Corps and the country.

The only time a rifle should be surrendered by a Marine or even an American soldier is when it's being preyed from their dead hands.

There seem to be a big problem today in our military services. (Obama's PC military) Instead of sitting in classrooms being indoctrinated in the American military culture, customs, General Orders and the Code of Conduct, they are instead attending mandatory PC sensitivity classes.

Was this an unlawful order that these Marines were issued ? When did the Department of State became part of the military chain of command ?

If I was standing post and some four star general ordered me to surrender my rifle, no way Jose. Only the Officer of the Guard who is subordinate to the Officer of the Day has that authority to issue that order. Even a general has to follow the chain of command. Obama and his administration refuses to follow the military chain of command. This has been the complaint by the last three Secretary of Defense (Gates, Panetta, Hagel) about Obama.

Civilian aircraft were used ? Is this another example under the Obama administration that again there wasn't a naval presence in the Navy's 5th Fleet AOR ? No Air Force C-17 in flying distance ?
    Who ever is in charge in totally incompetent.
    Blame it on Bush has been the SOP for the past six years.

9. Mushroom

Actually, I would bet that it is a lawful order. An Ambassador (if that is who gave the order) is a representative of the US Government with powers unlike most others in government service. This is why they go through Senate confirmations, and often speak with the full weight and power of the US Government. And much like the way a State Governor is the commander of their respective National Guards, the Ambassador is the ultimate "Commanding Officer" of Marines who serve under him or her.

But that does not mean it was a smart order, but I bet it is legal.

In several cases I had somebody order me to do something that was really-really stupid (once it was to call an individual at home every hour to prove they were home). I simply asked that the order be put in writing, and it was retracted. The last thing I wanted was to get dragged into some IG complaint for harassment and then have my Sergeant leave me hanging out to dry by denying he had ever made that demand.

Requesting an order be put in writing is an awesome way to say "Sir, this is really stupid, are you sure you want to do this?"

10. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I agree you should hold your head in shame, but not just today and not for what you listed in your OP, but for your willingness to say anything in order to attack the President of the United States of America and any American citizens that dare disagree with your far right POV, and I bet you even consider yourself to be a Patriot. Do not try speaking for GOD, You are not qualified.

11. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

The weapons could have been transported out of Yemen had the Marines traveled by military aircraft instead. I don't think they wanted a foreign military presence at this airport, so they chartered a civilian aircraft. Before boarding Yemen officials made them turn over their personal weapons, which allegedly were made inoperable. The crew served weapons left at the U.S. embassy were destroyed, at least based on news reports. .

12. APACHERAT

So they surrendered.

My head is hanging even lower.

13. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

There are typically two types of evacuation departures. An "authorized departure," which means American citizens who want to leave are authorized evacuation at government expense. An "ordered departure" is when all Americans are ordered to leave

There have been ordered departures for all non-emergency personnel in Yemen before. As recently as 2013 U.S, citizens were ordered to leave.

This recent departure was a bug out. Everybody, including the Marine embassy security teams, got outta dodge. When that happens, you destroy everything left behind of a sensitive nature...intel, weapons, computers, etc. In that regard destroying the weapons you weren't bringing with you makes sense. Had they transported them out with military aircraft, they probably would have been allowed to keep their personal weapons.

14. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Obama is a piece of garbage, but what does that have to do with military tradition? That's what the poster was addressing. A couple of hundred years of tradition stuffed down the sewer just because in 2008 and in 2012 the Democrats and INSANE independents saw fit to put a Junior Varsity president and his clueless gang of amateurs into the executive branch. On the other hand no Marine should hang his head in shame; rather he should proudly raise it in anger.

The Dem Party leadership screw-ups and their equally screwed-up games players are the ones who should be hanging their heads in shame over what they have collectively done to this nation. But then that's not gonna happen, is it?

15. APACHERAT

In laymen terms, the Marines surrendered their weapons (rifles) They surrendered.

Who issued the surrender order ?

It's obvious Obama never watched the movie "55 Days at Peking," "The Sand Pebble" and the "Wind and the Lion."

"The Sand Pebble" being what not to do.

16. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

They didn't want a bunch of Marine CH-53 helicopters buzzing a civilian airport. This particular airport in Yemen is about 150 km from the Red Sea. Well within range of off-shore ship based transport helicopters which have a 1,000 km range, to ingress and egress out of the area. Instead they chartered a civilian airliner and kept a lower profile.

17. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

The Marines did what they were asked to do... They evacuated US embassy personnel......

- - - Updated - - -

LOLOL.. You got your education from the movies?

18. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

There There, feel better now?

19. APACHERAT

Gee, to bad the CIA got out of the airline business. It sounded like a job for "Air America" not to be confused with the liberals attempt with talk radio. :smile:

Come to think of it, it's been five or six years since I've seen any aircraft with no marking, not even tail numbers. They use to be common sitting on tarmacs at certain commercial and small municipal civilian airports around the country and were seen landing and departing certain military air bases at "0-dark thirty."

20. APACHERAT

No, I read the after action reports that the books were written from in which Hollywood used to make the movies.

"55 Days at Peking" is an historical accurate account of when the Chinese tried to kick the American Embassy and other European nations out of China.

"The Wind and the Lion" is based upon when Arabs kidnapped an American woman and at the time the President, Teddy Roosevelt who had the talk and the walk and had cojones sent in the U.S. Marines.

The "San Pebble" is fiction but based upon some actual incidents of a U.S. Navy gunboat in China.

FYI:
    The book is always better than the movie. After action reports are ten time better than the books.

21. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Candice Bergen was kidnapped by Berbers in Morocco and it was fiction.

22. APACHERAT

Were you smoking dope with Barack when you should have been sitting in your history class room ?

It's better known as the Perdicaris incident.

23. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Yes.. and it was a man and his son who were kidnapped NOT Candice Bergen.. What rank did you achieve in the USMC... and were you ever assigned to a US embassy?

24. APACHERAT

Sergeant of Marines. I even had my own NGF spot team when I was with 1st ANGLICO. I could lower the elevation of a mountain by ten feet or turn 1/8th of a square mile of a jungle into a parking lot in a few minutes.

But enough with your thread drift.

Teddy Roosevelt did deploy U.S. Navy warships with U.S. Marines.

BTW, it was soon discovered that Perdicaris wasn't an American citizen, so this became a dilemma for Roosevelt.

The best source for information is the Washington Navy Yard, it's where all of the Navy's ships logs, documents and after action reports are stored.

1904: 'Perdicaris alive
    or Raisuli dead!'

>" Long before there were suicide bombers, Osama bin Laden or chants of "Death to the Great Satan," a Trenton man named Ion Perdicaris became the 20th century's first American victim of Middle Eastern terrorism.

It all happened in 1904, when the 64-year-old Perdicaris and his stepson found themselves taken hostage from their villa in Tangier, Morocco by a scruffy band of rifle-toting Berber tribesmen on horseback..."<

continue -> http://www.capitalcentury.com/1904.html

25. Mushroom

Which brings me to the biggest issue here.

Most of the world has been watching Yemen collapsing for well over a year now. Was this administration and the State Department so completely and absolutely clueless that they did not see this coming? That they could not have sent in US Military cargolifters from Qatar to bring them out within a few hours?

Sorry, the President that can violate the law and order the release of terrorists without even notifying Congress. But is completely unable to order C-130s, C-5s, C-17s, or any other US military aircraft (and even any needed fighter cover) to go from Al-Udeid AFB in Qatar less then 1,000 miles to Yemen for an emergency evacuation?

That the State Department is so grossly incompetent that they could not make any such arrangements well in advance, in the off chance that this might actually happen?

The Boxer Rebellion was really the starting point for both World Wars. It was the first instance where the US (and Japan) would join the "International Community" and work as part of an international force. And the sides of both WWI and WWII can be seen in the results of that cooperation.

Yes, at one time we would fight to keep our embassies safe. Now we simply abandon them. Myself, I would have no problem with abandoning it. Just so long as it is packed with WP and Thermite so that 10 minutes after the gate is closed and locked it goes up in a big pillar of fire leaving nothing but rubble behind.