Groups with Political Privilege (Or Others with a Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by NickEverett, Feb 22, 2015.

1. NickEverett

NickEverett Newly Registered

I'm assigned with writing a controlled comparison between two countries for my "Politics and Inequality" course and I have hit several roadblocks in identifying proper groups to observe and compare within two nations. The paper prompt is as follows and I have to choose between one of the two:

"Topic 1: Do a controlled comparison between two countries, one of which (country A) has a group that is obviously
    privileged politically. The second country (B) should be similar to country A in several key respects, including
    presence of the group that is privileged in country A, but in which the pertinent group is not noticeably privileged.
    Use empirical evidence to explain why the group in question is privileged in one country and not in the other.
    Explain/prescribe how the pertinent political inequality could be largely eliminated from country A using relevant
    insights from country B and other relevant countries or regimes. Discuss costs and benefits to society in country A
    relative to implementing your prescription, explain why it is, or is not, worth it to implement your prescription.

Topic 2: Do a controlled comparison between two countries, one of which (country A) has a group that is obviously
    repressed politically. The second country (B) should be similar to country A in several key respects, including
    presence of the group that is privileged in country A, but in which the pertinent group is not noticeably repressed.
    Use empirical evidence to explain why the group in question is repressed in one country and not in the other.
    Explain/prescribe how the pertinent political inequality could be largely eliminated from country A using relevant
    insights from country B and other relevant countries or regimes. Discuss costs and benefits to society in country A
    relative to implementing your prescription, explain why it is, or is not, worth it to implement your prescription." (Bairett 2015)

The key difference between the two prompts is the first asks for a group that is privileged POLITICALLY while the second one asks to address identify a group who is repressed politically. While we may acknowledge that other social bounds may in place to keep these inequalities in place, our main focus must be on the advantages/disadvantages experience in the political realm by these groups.

Could any one please help me identify prominent groups that I may observe between two nations, whether they be between Russia and another Eastern Europe nation or simply between two countries in Eastern Europe? Any input would be greatly appreciated.