Oregon Considers Banning Gay-To-Straight Conversion Therapy For Children

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by sec, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sec

sec Well-Known Member

http://www.opb.org/news/series/vitalsigns/public-hearing-on-bill-to-ban-conversion-therapy/

HYPERLINK has all

snip

The Oregon Legislature is holding a public hearing Monday on a bill to ban conversion therapy for children.

Conversion therapy covers a range of treatments aimed at changing the sexual orientation of a person — from homosexual to heterosexual.

and here we go again

plz note the message and how it is twisted. There is ZERO medical proof to the theory of "born homosexual" but leftists and homosexuals have been allowed to change it so you need to prove that they are not born homosexual

Imagine if the police arrested you and said, "we have no evidence against you, but prove that you did not drive drunk last night"

So here we are, another leftist state govt which thinks it knows better than parents

2. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

allowed to raise your kids the way you want must only apply for liberals, apparently...

3. sec

sec Well-Known Member

that is the take-away from the story.

I'm positive that homosexuals will not see beyond their gay agenda and will support the leftists in Oregon for attempting this.

Leftists, who never met govt intrusion they didn't like will also support more intrusion by govt.

that is what is really going on here.

4. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

So how can a therapy work for something that can't even been proven to exist?

mdrobster and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sec

sec Well-Known Member

huh?

people are not born drug addicts yet they make the choice to abuse

if a teenager is curious about having gay sex, or already tried it, there is no reason why a parent should not be able to intervene and find out why the teen is curious about gay sex

Who knows, maybe Uncle Butch played "hide the sausage" with little Timmy and now Timmy thinks that is normal behavior.

The issue here is the state trying to over-step their duty

6. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Here we see Oregon having enough sense to ban the triumph of hope over experience. Conversion (or reparative) therapy has been 100% ineffective, despite the desperate efforts of everyone involved for it to work. The "therapy" amounts to intense harrassment of helpless victims.

What directs a sexual orientation, and when, is not known. What IS known is that no matter how early in life it is detected, it is already permanent - whether straight or gay. Why try to pretend that ONE orientation, but not another, is changeable because we don't know when it started?

The comparison would be if the police arrested you for drunk driving, and you said "there's no proof that I was born with the propensity to become an alcoholic." The cops would correctly dismiss that as irrelevant.

7. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Are they born left-handed or right-handed? You need to compare with something similar.

And in your case, did they insist that you were NOT gay? How's that working for you?

8. smallblue

They aren't gay or straight till they have sex. So I'm not sure how anyone could believe this therapy can work on converting someone who isn't gay to straight.

In order for this therapy to work, it would have involve having a minor have sexual intercourse, which is why it should be illegal.

9. Flintc

Flintc New Member

This doesn't make sense. Sexual orientation is not the same as sexual activity. There are plenty of virgins out there of all orientations. And there is absolutely no doubt in their mind whom they find sexually attractive.

Generally speaking, a child's sexual orientation can be determined before puberty. It just can't be changed, which is why this "therapy" should be illegal.

10. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

my dad was born lefthanded... and public education in the 50's changed him to right handed. At 65 years old today, my dad has absolutely NO desire to write left handed.

- - - Updated - - -

sure it can.... like being left handed can be changed with enough rulers to the back of your hand.

11. Arxael

Arxael Banned

You are incorrect, homosexual and heterosexual are determined by who you are attracted to. You can be a virgin and still be a homosexual, bisexual, heterosexual, etc. The attraction and act are two separate things.

And conversion therapy is just another way to screw up a kids mind. I'm glad Oregon is getting smart. Conversion therapy is child abuse.

JohnnyMo and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Where is your medical evidence? Isn't the argument here, that if you have no medical evidence of being born left handed (but not right handed, of course - we'll just ignore that), then it doesn't actually exist. Right?

No, it really can't. I know (I went through that same treatment) that a lefty can learn to do almost anything with the opposite hand - and many gay men marry and have several children. Orientation and behavior are different things. I also have no desire or ability to write with my left hand - and no desire or ability to, you know, shave or brush my teeth or pound nails or throw etc with my right hand.

13. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Rulers to the back or the hand, shock treatment, drugs that make children feel physically sick, are now considered good things? It's child abuse now just as it was then.

14. smallblue

Flintc, this is sec's thread. In sec's threads we must use his definition of homosexuality, consistently. ;)

15. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

while I realize there are rules against physical aversions..... like a ruler to the back of the hand.... but you compare gay to handedness and said it can't be changed. My father (and millions of other children up to the 60s in America) is a shining example that you can change his preference

Now, can the same goal be accomplished without a ruler to hand. I think so.
    can gay tendancies be corrected by means other than beating, shock, or drugs..... absolutely.

as long as no physical abuse is occuring, it's a parental right to decide if aversion therapy is for their family or not.

16. Flintc

Flintc New Member

But you can't. You can change his practice. I went through the same process, I'm older than he is, and I know. At best, you become fairly ambidextrous.

But all such efforts experience a 100% failure rate. I guess you ignore that part because you just don't like it.

It's child abuse. Period.

17. Terrant

Terrant New Member

Incorrect, there is some indication of physical differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals (it is non-zero). However, there is no conclusive evidence that supports the "born homosexual" claim.

Actually, leftists are against government intrusion when it comes to women's heath care.

18. JohnnyMo

To be sure I'm not misunderstanding you, are you claiming the few actions mentioned in my previous comment are not child abuse? If you are, clearly we don't agree.

19. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

he doesn't write left handed. I also never claimed that the practice was 100% successful. But even if he was the only one that switched to right handed, it shows there is a success rate to his aversion therapy he was subjected to.

no way do I buy "100% failure" you have to back that up with studies. While it may not have a majority of success rate.... if my son is one of the 10% it works for.... I'd be fine with that.

no it's not child abuse.... it's a difference of opinion in parenting style. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean your way is more right.

20. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

what do you mean... beating a child with a ruler? Absolutely. But, even though it was morally reprehensible.... it did have success rates associated with it as my dad now writes with his right hand.

I also said, there are other ways to change the handedness. I'm a positive behavior modification supporter. With the correct reward.... I could get you to go to your next interview and cluck like a chicken.

You are just assuming by supporting aversion therapy, I support pastors beating down children with Bibles until they say "I'm not gay".... and I don't. I think with enough positive support, behaviors can be modified

21. Solsbury_Grille

Solsbury_Grille New Member

22. JohnnyMo

JB,

Again, I'm confused by the ^^ comment. Let me put my question another way.

Should it be legal for teachers to beat hands with rulers? Should it it be legal for a parent to subject their child to shock therapy?

IMO, I view these actions as child abuse. Do you agree?

23. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

no and no....

I do too.

But I also think there are other ways to influence behavior that doesn't require beating a child good, or shocking a gay kid straight.

I'm a positive behavior systems guy. That doesn't mean I don't think negative consequences don't work, I just choose not to use them because it makes for a short career in my chosen profession.

I would not support an aversion therapy facility that uses negative consequences to influence behavior. If they did it through positive reinforcement.... then I believe that's a parent's right to decide. It still may not work, but to make it all illegal because you assume all are negative reinforcement aversions.

I have seen NOTHING that this new law differentiates between positive and negative therapy. if it bans NEGATIVE aversion therapies.... I support that.

24. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Neither do I.

What practice? Sexual orientation conversion therapy is 100% unsuccessful.

But he did NOT switch to right handed. He learned to write with his right hand, which isn't the same thing. Homosexual men have married women and had kids. But this doesn't mean their orientation changed.

But it doesn't even work that well. The largest "reparative therapy" organization in the country recently shut down, because ALL of their graduates relapsed within 2 years, and the therapy did psychological damage to many of them.

Sorry, but this turns out not to be the case. Every one of those who underwent this therapy did so with optimism and determination, and many of them were crushed and depressed when (of course) it didn't work. They tried prayer, they tried physical and mental approaches similar to prisoner interrogation, didn't matter. All they accomplished was to make their clients think they were failures. What was sad was, this was a faith-based organization, and they taught that homosexuality was a choice and a sin, and if you didn't change it's because you didn't WANT to or because your faith was weak or faked. The results were damaging.

Some of those people underwent the therapy programs several times, and each time they came out of it convinced they were "cured". They bragged about it and gave interviews, which the organization depended on to get more clients. But they "relapsed", which is to say, they could only kid themselves for so long before their sex drive couldn't be ignored anymore.

25. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

if you're just going to make up statistics... why not say 110% non success rate for extra emphasis....

I don't know, since that gay gene hasn't been proven, I assume they did

alcoholics fall off the wagon all the time. Should we ban AA?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gay-conver...w-im-happily-married-heterosexual-dad-1443188

This guy seems happy. But I Know you will just dismiss it as a lie since it goes against your 100% theory.

so we are not to believe former gay testimonies after they become hetero.... but we are to take their word that they were born gay prior to rehab?

both are based on faith. You have faith a gay is born gay. I have faith that it's environmental influence that affects who you are attracted to..... Funny, when the gay man says he was born gay.... it's gospel to you, but a year later, when he says he's cured.... you call him a liar

- - - Updated - - -

MOD EDIT - Rule 3