Sally Kohn wants straight daughter to be gay

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by publican, Feb 24, 2015.

1. publican

publican Banned

I thought being gay was not a choice. Looks like Sally Kohn is disappointed that her daughter may grow up straight. So which is it Sally? Is sexuality a choice or not? I wonder when the indoctrination and manipulation of this poor girl will begin.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ntator-open-about-wanting-her-daughter-be-gay

Openly gay political commentator Sally Kohn says, in a new essay for The Washington Post, that she hopes her daughter is gay too, despite already being attracted to boys.

Kohn, a well-known political commentator on networks like CNN and Fox News, says that like all parents who want their children to follow in their footsteps, she also has hoped that her daughter would turn out to be gay. Despite those wishes, however, Kohn says she’s already starting to notice that her 6-year-old daughter is most likely straight and that leaves her a bit disappointed.

“I live in the liberal bubble of Park Slope, Brooklyn, where no yuppie would ever admit to wanting their kid to be anything in particular, other than happy,” Kohn explains in her essay. “But more often than not, we define happiness as some variation on our own lives, or at least the lives of our expectations. If we went to college, we want our kids to go to college. If we like sports, we want our kids to like sports. If we vote Democrat, of course we want our kids to vote Democrat. I’m gay. And I want my kid to be gay, too.”

2. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

sounds like to me that she just wants her daughter to follow in her footsteps, which is pretty much what most parents want, or even to do better than they did. I see nothing that leads to your assumption of "I wonder when the indoctrination and manipulation of this poor girl will begin. " so must assume that is what you wish to happen in order to proclaim how bad "gays" are.

3. publican

publican Banned

Hey look, you can assume whatever you want. She wants her daughter to be gay, her words. And if you want your kids to follow in your footsteps, you tend to guide them down the path you took. Please. :roll:

4. Fugazi

I am not the one making the assumption, that would be you.

5. publican

publican Banned

Don't deflect. She wants her kid to follow in her footsteps. She said as much. Now how do parents get their kids to follow in their footsteps?

6. Fugazi

How am I deflecting when you accused me of making assumptions, when in fact it was you who made the assumption in your OP, remember what you wrote.

That is an assumption, now defend it by telling me HOW you know either of the above will occur?

7. publican

publican Banned

I made no assumptions. Now what do you do to get your kids to try and follow in your footsteps? Teach them? Show them how you got there? Think.

8. Fugazi

Yes you did.

I wonder when the indoctrination and manipulation of this poor girl will begin.

That is an assumption that indoctrination and manipulation will happen, so prove it.

furtermore you are making the assumption that homosexuality is something that can be taught .. prove that as well.

9. publican

publican Banned

Yes! If you indoctrinate you teach. If you manipulate you teach. If you want someone, anyone, to follow in your footsteps you teach them how to go down that road.

10. Fugazi

So you are saying that homosexuality is something that can be taught :roflol: .. sorry that is just to silly, and furthermore you have no idea what she will do, ergo you are making an assumption.

11. publican

publican Banned

I did? Where? I asked Sally that question in my opening post. She wants her girl to follow in her footsteps. So how does she plan to make her gay? :roflol::roflol::roflol:

12. Fugazi

this might help you learn the difference between indoctrination and teaching

Teaching is all about communication of information, ideas or skills that can be questioned or discussed and the facts that are taught in teaching are supported by evidence, whereas indoctrination is about communication of beliefs that are not supported by any evidence and the receiver is supposed to accept it the way it has been taught without any arguement or questioning. - http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-teaching-and-indoctrination

13. Fugazi

It was a question not a statement.

There is nothing wrong in Sally TEACHING her daughter about homosexuality, that is very, very different to what you are attempting to claim ie indoctrination.

this might help you learn the difference between indoctrination and teaching

Teaching is all about communication of information, ideas or skills that can be questioned or discussed and the facts that are taught in teaching are supported by evidence, whereas indoctrination is about communication of beliefs that are not supported by any evidence and the receiver is supposed to accept it the way it has been taught without any arguement or questioning. - http://www.differencebetween.info/di...indoctrination

14. publican

publican Banned

A path is something you choose to take. Now go read Sally's statements. She's implying that you can choose to be gay [follow in my path]. Now if Sally is implying she chose, fine. Had she said, 'I had hoped that my daughter would have been born gay like I was', no issue. She didn't. She wantS her daughter to go down her path. Now what will she do to see if she can make that happen?

15. publican

publican Banned

in·doc·tri·nate
    inˈdäktrəˌnāt/Submit
    verb
    teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
    "broadcasting was a vehicle for indoctrinating the masses"
    synonyms: brainwash, propagandize, proselytize, reeducate, persuade, convince, condition, program, mold, discipline; More
    archaic
    teach or instruct (someone).

16. Fugazi

So teaching to you is also to brainwash?

Do you notice that little word right above the bit you highlighted - archaic, do you know what it means? (very old or old-fashioned)

- - - Updated - - -

Still does not equate to what you are implying, that she will indoctrinate (teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. - From your own source)

17. publican

publican Banned

You don't like the truth? Not my problem. I gave you the synonyms for indoctrinate and one of them is 'teach'.

18. Fugazi

Definition just confirms what I said

19. publican

publican Banned

So ask Sally which is it? You choose the 'path' to be gay or not.

20. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

Sally Kohn admitted herself that she is in fact indoctrinating her child. Its disgusting. Whether her daughter is gay or not shouldn't matter to her its her kid for crying out loud. You are supposed to love them no matter how they turn out, short of a serial killer or Chicago Bears fan. We are constantly told that straight parents should love their kids even if their gay. The door swings both ways. Gay parents should love their kids if they are straight. What she is doing is obnoxious and if a straight parent did the same stuff she does to make sure their kid was straight the same people defending her would be screaming at the top of their lungs. In Kohn's own words:

Kohn is literally no different than a Christian fundamentalist family telling their kids gays are evil. Pay attention to the wording she uses. Kohn talks about choice but does everything in her power to manipulate the environment to ensure the outcome that SHE desires, not what her kid wants but what Sally Kohn wants. Kohn is entitled to raise her kid how she wants but the people defending her are hypocrites because we all know the reaction they would have if it was the other way around.

21. Fugazi

You gave me an archaic definition ie old, where as I gave you the difference between teaching and indoctrination, so yes it really is not your problem that you cannot see the truth .. it's called ignorance.

22. Fugazi

Same response to you as the OP author, you equate teaching to indoctrinating and that is just wilful ignorance, where does she say she is not allowing her daughter to look at traditional family based literature, and even the bit you quoted doesn't adhere to what you are trying to promote.

You can twist it anyway you want, all this says to me is that Sally is bringing up her daughter to understand that there are more types of families that the "traditional" families so promoted by anti-homosexuals.

23. publican

publican Banned

I gave you something that is a synonym and you don't like it. I see you don't want to talk about Sally's gay 'path' comment. I understand.

24. Fugazi

25. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

She is no different than a family that teaches their kids that they should be straight. She is deliberately manipulating the environment of her child in order to secure a preferred outcome. I don't actually care what she does since its her kid but you and others like you would be complaining if Rush Limbaugh had a kid and bought him books about how gays were bad. Don't even pretend to deny it you know damn well that you would be complaining about it and calling him homophic and whatever else he would be deserved of.

She admitted she wants her kid to be gay. A true parent wouldn't care one way or the either. Just as liberals think that its ok to abort a kid with a disability they now think its OK to shape their kids sexuality. Let the kid be a kid for cheese sake. Whenever I took my nieces/nephews shopping or was with someone who took their kids shopping virtually all the time we let the kid pick out the books they wanted. Sally Kohn picks the books she wants herself. How is that any different than a fundamentalist family only allowing biblical story books in their house. It is brainwashing no matter what.