Bashing The Human Rights Commission

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Gwendoline, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Gwendoline

Gwendoline Well-Known Member

Nasty Tony swings at Human Rights Commission, Labor goes to Federal Police re criminal code and Malcolm Turnbull shows some calibre:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-gillian-triggs-strategy-20150225-13o8lb.html

Gutless politicians swinging from the gutter at Gillian Triggs, President of Australian Human Rights Commission.

Their 'inflated entitlement' has been triggered and ignited... and what a show.

To attack the Australian Human Rights Commission... is an attack on human rights.

Puffed-up politicians bullying the very institution that's instituted to protect human rights. And the president targetted with bullying by the government.

Time to go, Tony.

2. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Gwendo,
    what else would you expect from Tone?
    He wants to change Australia into a nation with a hard right mindset, and spending a lot of time in rural WA, he is succeeding in many areas.
    Shocking how many stand behind him.
    They all want the same, stop all migrants, stop the Muslims, stop the Greens and Labor, give us the nation back the way it was late 1800.
    There are some here which might applause......
    Human rights are not interesting for Quick Fix Tone, on the controversy. This deeming report is a thorn in Abbott's eye.
    Regards

3. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Have youz read it, or are you just gushing at the ALP spin on things as truth again?

It identifies a serious problem during the fed ALP government, but she waits for the fed election until beginning her investigation..... ok fair enough. But so then we find out all its findings seem to only target the period from when the Libs got in power until its publication date. Which considering it was under the ALP's watch that this became a problem, sort of misses the point entirely of why they were doing it in the first place!!!!!!

So the first question probably is, why didnt this happen back in 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2012 when it was a rapidly growing problem? It states "By February this year, it became apparent that there had been a slowing down of the release of children. Over the first six months of the new Coalition Government the numbers of children in detention remained relatively constant. Not only were over 1,000 children held in detention by February 2014, but also they were being held for longer periods than in the past, with no pathway to resettlement. In these circumstances, I decided to exercise the Commission’s powers under the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Cth) to hold a National Inquiry into Children in Immigration Detention."

Of course there would have been a slowing down, a change of government just took place and policies being implemented, and numbers of children in detention were starting to fall for the first time!!!! I'm not sure what she means by no resettlement pathways since the numbers have been dropping ever since!! So in 6 months of Lib power she decided it needed to be done, but she didn't think it was an issue in the 4 years prior when it was accelerating at a rapid rate under ALP power!? Yea right....

... but its not all bad for the Libs, and the report really does still point to the blame being at the ALP, if people bother to read it. Just look at the reports intro for the true picture;

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

It's the end of Abbott. Not, unfortunately, for the coalition government. But time will sort that. The government is lying about what happened and we know it.

5. axialturban

It's pretty normal in the public sector to move people around into different jobs, but not at that level for a contracted position. It's not a complicated issue and anyone with 'time in' the APS would know it would be handled in such a way to be discrete, and legal. If she is making a fuss about it then it sort of supports the original claim of bias probably, but its now on whoever pointed the finger for the enticement to prove it, and I think that was her. As if getting paid out and repositioned at a similar level is a bad outcome
    :icon_clueless:

6. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

It has to be said that behind the crocodile tears there does seem to be a hidden agenda here. I like most other people saw the media circus and thought WTF. However the more you read into the scenario the more it looks like a hidden agenda. Triggs is trying on the deer in the headlights routine..." Who me "? All the while she is known for being a hard nosed, manipulative operator.

Once again Abbott and the Libs have handled the situation poorly, but I can understand why they have lost confidence her. Then we have Turnbull. He has it seems made a political error in siding with Triggs. Seems our new mr gushy sweet guy stepped on the wrong stair here.

7. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

Turning on the feminist tears to get a bit of sympathy -me thinks.

8. Gwendoline

Yep, I agree.

This case reminds me a lot of when Howard turned his back on William Deane (AC, KBE, QC)!! and the Stolen Generations report. Emphasis on 'ignored' it whereas Tony has disgraced himself by 'attacking' the president of Human Rights Commission. He can't help himself, he's a thug. His backbench doesn't like his aggressive stance. I think Turnbull timed his comments well.

9. Gwendoline

10. slipperyfish

Gwen I agree that Abbott handled it with all the gentleness of a bull in a china shop. There argument with Triggs is not about kids in detention, it is about her agenda against the Liberal party, aka our current government. She is in a position of responsibility and has to be seen unbiased, which she has failed at dismally. She was unable to hide her political leanings. The fact remains that there are less children in detention now than at any time under Rudd/Gillard, something she failed to portray in her report.

Don't feel sorry for Triggs, she knew the game she was playing, what she didn't count on was a PM that had the stupidity to go after her publicly, throwing political correctness out the window where it belongs.

And don't use the SMH as a source, it is about as reputable as any Murdoch rag. This is a politically motivated move from Gillian Triggs that has somewhat backfired.

11. m2catter

You can't be serious,
    those kids are now left to rot somewhere else, thanks to stopping the boats, and those who are in detention can't/won't be released into society for political reasons.
    That is unaustralian, sorry mate.
    Regards

12. m2catter

13. slipperyfish

Cats I think you are letting emotion get in the way of comprehending the quote.

This is exactly what Triggs aim was. What she has failed to disclose, and unfairly so, is the extent of the situation under the previous government.

My opinion on children in custody doesn't really change the facts of the government argument against Triggs. We must be fair and realise this argument isn't about children in custody, it is about Triggs manipulating the report to suit a political agenda. This is the truly sad part. What Triggs has done is take the spotlight off the real issue by using that issue for political motives.

The issue of children in custody is a national issue and will only be solved by a national effort. I have no answers for a solution, what about you Cats ? How would you solve it ?

14. DaS Energy

DaS Energy New Member

Question, did the LNP ask for the commissions report?

The commission has been around since 1986, yet never a LNP motion it be gone.

Now the LNP leadership declares it a worthless piece of political garbage!

All quite strange with the LNP now gearing up for a big spending campaign, vote one Tony Abbott!

15. axialturban

That's hilarious, your ignoring the reality that we cannot accept everyone who wants to come. Your ignoring that systems need to be in place to manage those that do come, and your ignoring the impact this has when it gets out of control - such as under the ALP it got out of control and we started to accumulate hundreds of children in detention as a result. They were not in detention when they were living with their families in Indonesia or other countries they travelled through during their ecomonic migration. How peeps can blame the Libs for this, and then get emotional about it is friggin hilarious. Go study causality in depth to this context, and be genuine, and you'll start to realize how wrong you are.

16. Gwendoline

They live in limbo in Indonesia. They are not allowed to work. The children are not allowed to go to school. Yep, it's detention. How long living that no-life-limbo before you either give up or else try for a life a life of dignity for yourself and your children and escape?! Not allowed to work, children can't go to school. These are basic human rights that are being denied. Yep, detention.

17. Gwendoline

I don't understand all the 'defensiveness' on the subject. Children were in detention under Labor and are in detention under Liberal. There. As M2catter pointed out the lower numbers now are just that they are languishing in Indonesia in limbo and yeah it IS detention when the children are not allowed to go to school and the parents are not allowed to work. That is appalling. But hey, our sending them back has nothing to do with the children living through terrible conditions in Indonesia. I guess those little orange bubble boats must have been like some fabulous ride straight out of Luna Park which delighted the refugee children?! Sorry, slipperyfish, I am appalled. Australia paid large sums of money to maintain (that's an oxymoron!) appalling detention centres in Indonesia to get them off out doorstep. But those children don't disappear... they are living horrendous lives in Indonesia.

I don't feel sorry for Triggs, she's a mature woman who's handling the situation a lot better than the politicians. This is not going to hurt Triggs but hurt the government. Badly.

Bullying the Australian Human Rights Commission is a very bad sign for the government.

Turnbull handled it the right way. It IS about the children.

You don't like the SMH as a source? LOL, what are you advocating that I source for you?

When the Liberal Party finds its humanitarian bone... it won't find itself at such (angry) odds with the Australian Human Rights Commission.

18. m2catter

Hmm,
    that is a good one.
    We have plenty of communities with ever decreasing numbers.
    How about resettle detention families with their kids (after three to six months max.) into communities in need, until their case is decided or until they have proven themselves?
    Am I too far on the right side?
    Regards

19. slipperyfish

Gwen I agree with you in regards to the children. There are millions of children across the globe who don't deserve the life they have received. This is not the argument however.

The government are well aware of the situation, they may not be shouting it from the rooftops but they are certainly not trying to cover it up. There argument is with Triggs herself and the way she has tried to manipulate the report to suit her own agenda. Has the government handled this like little children? Most definitely, but that doesn't make them wrong.

The person who is wrong is Triggs. She has used this awful situation to push her own agenda. Whether this out of desperation or pure political manipulation doesn't really matter. The government has lost faith with her because they don't believe she is capable of delivering an unbiased report, perhaps with good reason.

So Gwen although I agree with you in regards to the plight of the young, I find it hard to back Triggs over the government when she is guilty of the same crime... Using this situation as a political tool.

20. slipperyfish

Cats it has nothing to do with right or left, as I said it is everyone's problem. This is a terrible situation to try and solve, there is no easy answer here and let's face it we now only have politicians that are looking for the quick resolution.

I always enjoy your outlook on life. Yes your idea is good. In fact it is kind of happening now, although these new residents have been cleared and are sent to small communities for their first year. We have had several members settled here, some with families. Only one has remained. The other night I had a conversation with an Iraqi gentleman that arrived here three months ago, he had been in detention for about a year. Lovely man. He used to manage a business in His home city. He now collects trolleys and appreciates every minute of it. He told me he will not stay as it is too small and he has better opportunities in the city. He said detention was not so bad, and he understood why. He left Iraq for a more peaceful life and if that means spending time in detention to protect that, then that was fine by him.

21. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

Foreign detention centers are the best way to do refugee policy. Only those refugees who are already accepted as genuine and granted asylum (which is a small minority of them) should set foot on Australian soil, or even better, settle in some third country in exchange for more foreign aid.

Of course, there should not be any human right abuses commited in those foreign centers, that is an issue that needs attention.

22. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

Slippery, I thought the report aimed more at the length of time children spent in detention. What is clear is that children spent considerably less time in detention pre-2013 despite there being larger numbers of children in detention centres. The issue being raised are the mental and psychological impacts on children as a consequence substantially lengthier periods of time in detention post 2013. I don't think she did absolutely anything wrong. If she has a political motivation I think we would all be keen to know what it is.

How Abbott dealt with the issue was childish to say the least. He could have acknowledged the report and the unsatisfactory status of children in detention but went on an attack without any thought for those children and wanted to point the finger at the opposition. As far as I'm concerned, his attitude and victory rhetoric about stopping the boats reflects his insensitivity or empathy for the whole situation. He really doesn't care if those children are suffering in other countries, he just doesn't want them to wreck his thunder and stupidity about playing politics with the issue in the first place.

I think even others would have judged him differently on the issue if he acknowledged the conditions under his watch. Hell he could have still raised how his government has overlooked lower numbers under his watch as opposed to labor, Obviously this still would not have sat well with those of us who concerned about the broader scope of the issue starting at conditions for children prior to arriving here.

Abbott was more about protecting himself on the issue but unfortunately made it worse.

23. m2catter

Hi SF,
    now it becomes more tricky.
    Just imagine the qualification people had, before a war torn their country and made them to flee...
    I we cannot more easily accept their educational standards, what contribution can they make to our society?
    How often have we seen that?
    People coming from foreign shores, and their qualification under the radar?
    There is a lot which needs to be discussed and addressed, which also means we ourselves have to face scrutiny..............
    Regards

24. slipperyfish

Sit down TV. I agree with everything you said.

But one must ask why the primal report was not released when it was meant to be. In the months leading up to the last election. The report is damaging to which ever government was in place at the time. So Triggs extended the time of the report to be released now? Come on. Triggs was regularly seen having coffee with Gillard, two powerful women taking on the men. But has never been seen having coffe with Abbott. Mind you I wouldn't waste a good coffee on either. If Labor had any chance at all in the last election this report had to be shelved. This is at the heart of the argument.

Yes the Libs are dancing around the real issue BUT Triggs gave them the song to dance to. Point is Triggs is all tears and shouting misogyny, all the while she is as guilty as the government for making this a political football.

- - - Updated - - -

Sit down TV. I agree with everything you said.

But one must ask why the primal report was not released when it was meant to be. In the months leading up to the last election. The report is damaging to which ever government was in place at the time. So Triggs extended the time of the report to be released now? Come on. Triggs was regularly seen having coffee with Gillard, two powerful women taking on the men. But has never been seen having coffe with Abbott. Mind you I wouldn't waste a good coffee on either. If Labor had any chance at all in the last election this report had to be shelved. This is at the heart of the argument.

Yes the Libs are dancing around the real issue BUT Triggs gave them the song to dance to. Point is Triggs is all tears and shouting misogyny, all the while she is as guilty as the government for making this a political football.

25. DaS Energy

DaS Energy New Member

Abbott has a past of abusing women from places of safety, yet when a man comes on the scene to face him, Abbott our hero melts like butter, and tries hard not to be seen!