Feingold, expected by many to run for Senate, plans to travel Wisconsin 'extensively'

Discussion in 'United States' started by Pax Aeon, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    "Washington -- Former U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold announced Tuesday on his Facebook page that after leaving the State Department this week he will teach at Stanford University, then return to Wisconsin and travel the state extensively as he considers “how I can best further serve my country and the state I love.”

It was not a campaign announcement, but Feingold is widely expected by insiders in both parties to seek his old U.S. Senate seat in 2016.

A Feingold campaign would set up a rematch with Republican Sen. Ron Johnson, who defeated him in 2010.

It’s very rare for former senators to win back a seat they have lost. But in this case Feingold would have the advantage of running in a presidential year, when turnout is higher and the electorate is typically more favorable to Democrats." - Source
    `
    `

While I'm not inclined to vote Democratic anymore (much less Republican) I'll make a big exception for Russ Feingold. Aside from his many achievements, he;

• was the only senator to vote against the so-called "Patriot Act".
    • voted against Bush's criminal Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq in Oct. 2002,
    • was in opposition to President Bush's 2007 troop "surge" in Iraq,
    • supported the Legislative Transparency and Accountability Act of 2007
    • and worked with a then coherent John McCain in passing the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 (BCRA), better-known as the McCain-Feingold bill.

Wisconsin needs him, the nation needs him.