The Individual vs The State

Discussion in 'History and Culture' started by Trinnity, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

"Industry, technology, and commerce can thrive only as long as an idealistic national community offers the necessary preconditions. And these do not lie in material egoism, but in a spirit of sacrifice and joyful renunciation. It is thus necessary that the individual should come to realize that his own ego is of no importance in comparison with the existence of his nation; that the position of the individual ego is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole ... that above all the unity of a nation's spirit and will are worth far more than the freedom of the spirit and will of an individual. .... This state of mind, which subordinates the interests of the ego to the conservation of the community, is really the first premise for every truly human culture .... we understand only the individual's capacity to make sacrifices for the community, for his fellow man."

Is this what democratic party believes? Is it noble? Do you put the state above your self and your family?

2. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Alright then, I'll ask this:

Does the president see the Constitution as the guiding principle of American govt - a document to be respected and obeyed?
    Or as an impediment?

3. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nope. Do you?

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to ask him. But last time I checked, he ran for office and was elected in accordance with the constitution.

I'm still waiting for those brown shirts storm troopers you all were talking about 6 years ago.

4. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

You sure about that? I think he's hiding things that would have made him un-electable. And he wasn't honest with the public and made false promises. I claim he was dishonest from the get go.

5. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

"It's just a piece of paper." - George W. Bush

"We make our own reality. You can read about it tomorrow." - Donald Rumsfeld

Obama just might be clever enough to not say those types of things out loud.

6. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I believe that if we depended on the individual, we'd still be running around naked chucking spears at funny-looking goats.

7. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Deflection is not part of this discussion. I'm talking about the current administration. You can't effectively justify or ignore the transgressions of the current administration by deflecting to the sins of past administrations. That's just trolling.

This administration is much worse than anything we've ever seen before.

What did you think of Valerie Jarrett making public threats of retribution against Netanyahu and Israel for him coming here to speak?

“WILL PAY A PRICE”: Valerie Jarrett Promises To Hurt Israel, Netanyahu For “Spitting In Obama’s Face” Over Iran Nukes
    Read more at http://patdollard.com/2015/01/will-...mas-face-over-iran-nukes/#B7kpB6Xw4HE202Xi.99

8. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

No. We'd still be a British commonwealth.

9. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

It's not that. He's hidden so much about his life, his associations, and his intentions. But he can't hide them from those who simply look at the body of his words and actions. He's very much the wolf in sheep's clothing.

10. Iriemon

So what's the constitutional issue that make him unelectable?

11. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Technically, based on the info at hand, he was electable. He certainly wasn't a worthy candidate because of lack of experience, his Marxist ties, his ties to Black Liberation Theology, and his lack of transparency about his life and records. No one can look at his record and say his policies have been beneficial to the country. Our economy continues to struggle under the weight of his anti-business policies and most of all the regulations his people have been writing since he was inaugurated. His legacy will not be a good one and he will be judged.

Since being in office, he's subverted the Constitution and the Congress and made no effort to hide it. He feels entitled to do so and since Congress was controlled by dems, no one could stop him. Now that the R's are in charge, they don't have enough in the Senate to override his vetoes and he's doubled down on his machinations to run rough-shod over us. But he will be judged and it will be harsh. Those of you who supported his treasonous acts will be judged too.

12. Woolley

Woolley Well-Known Member

I would argue that both parties engage in this type of thinking but for different purposes. The left believes that we are part of a society, a culture and a state all at once and that each individual owes others a certain level of respect, compassion, empathy and support. The right believes in the individual as the supreme actor which is why they love Ayn Rand so much and hate anyone different from them even within their own culture or state. The right does believe in putting the interests of the state above all else only when it comes to war but refuses to endorse a universal duty to serve preferring a mercenary army instead. In essence, the left believes that the whole is greater than the parts only if they understand fully that they are part of something much larger than themselves. We accept government as the last champion of the individual when human nature creates a ruling class and a subservient class. We reject because we abhor injustice, inequality and unfairness to anyone, not just our tribe or family. The right only reserves those sentiments for the tribe or themselves which is why conservatism is so popular amongst them.

13. Iriemon

o Economy that was tanking at a -9% rate and shedding 700,000+ jobs a month turned around
    o 59 straight months of private sector employment growth.
    o 125% increase in the stock markets since taking office
    o More than halved the deficit in 4 years.
    o Got Osama bin Laden.
    o Saved 2-3 million jobs with stimulus package
    o First decrease in spending in a year in decades - 3 times.
    o Stock markets up 170% since bottom of the recession in 2009
    o Over 11 million additional private sector jobs created since Jan 2010
    o Oil production increasing for the first time in decades.
    o Ousted Muamar Kadaffi at 1/1000 the cost of the Iraq war
    o Deficit reduced by a then record $212 billion, down 16%, in 2012.
    o Deficit reduced by a new record $408 billion, down 37%, in 2013
    o Record corporate profits
    o Passed health care reform that will provide coverage to tens of millions of Americans
    o 5 straight years of GDP growth
    o Unemployment rate dropped from 10% to 5.7%
    o U.S. becomes world's top petroleum and energy producer
    o Passed financial regulation reform to prevent another housing bubble fiasco.
    o Diplomatically coerced Syria to give up WMD without war or loss of single American life.
    o Recovered all jobs lost in the worst recession in 80 years
    o Lowest rate of spending increases of any president in modern history
    o On-budget deficit has decreased every full fiscal year he's been in office.
    o Average initial jobless claims drops to levels last seen when Clinton was president.
    o US domestic oil use decreasing
    o Net creation of millions of people employed despite inheriting a economy losing 700,000+ jobs a month

If Obama were a white Republican, conservatives would be hailing him a savior.

14. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

And the death camps for white people.

And all the arms you've sold everybody in preparation for the Great Revolution where we all go to die fighting against Universal Health Care seem to have been diverted to nutbars who've used them to shoot up elementary schools

15. hudson1955

hudson1955 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Lets say the individual vs. the State or Federal government; good luck; the individual will spend thousands of dollars and predictably lose. And, it seems the Supreme Court, Appeals Courts rule in favor of Governments the majority of the time. So don't waste your money.

16. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

The state has already won.

17. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

The State doesn't win. It just takes. One thing it worries about is the long tradition of liberty in ingrained in too many people. That's the battle the State has to take on and they cannot win that one.

18. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

if you like your insurance....
    if you like your doctor....
    I know nothing about Benghazi....
    I just read about it in the National Inquirer....
    I am not infringing upon the 2nd A...
    You mean this guy?
    bwhahahahahahahaha

19. Iriemon

Congrats, you got the RW propaganda talking points down pat. So tell us the constitutional violation that made him unelectable.

20. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

why????

21. Iriemon

That is the issue of the discussion you butted into.

Or are you just butting into a conversation you know nothing about blathering nonsense because you didn't bother to read the thread again?

22. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

no, this thread is titled the Individual vs. the State.............my point is that I don't want the state meddling in my business, nor yours for al that matters. You deign to surrender yourself to the State, then do so with my blessing, but don't think I'm going to follow your lead.
    the head or the State has lied, constantly.
    The State is rebelling against him.
    He is a failure and a liar

23. Iriemon

I'm sorry, we were talking about Obama being constitutionally unelectable. Did you have something relevant to the conversation you wanted to add?

Or are you just butting into a conversation you know nothing about blathering nonsense because you didn't bother to read the thread again?

24. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

so, you have no opinion about your surrendering to the authority of the State.......
    He has proved to be a liar and a thief. That is your man. He is a putz. I don't care if he's an illegal or not, he is destructive to the nation, hence this is a bad state, with a bad leader

25. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Trolling? Like your Avatar does every time you post? Those with that mindset are not open to actual discussion, hence a waste of time. But thanks for showing the others here whining when an unflattering Walker was put out that Cons vilify people using unflattering or photo shopped pictures all the time and that several of you have Avatars to prove it. Well Done.