Public Order Crimes and Marijuana Use

Discussion in 'Other Political Issues' started by hudson1955, Mar 13, 2015.

1. hudson1955

hudson1955 Well-Known Member Past Donor

What is a Public Order Crime? "It is behaviour that has been labelled criminal because it is contrary to shared norms, social values, and customs. Alcohol Prohibition made use and sale of alcohol a public order crime. Why didn't prohibition work? Because a large majority of society used alcohol and defied the law.
    The same is true, IMO, with criminalization of Marijuana. Many people, regardless of the law, continue to use Marijuana. Many preferring it over Alcohol and Tobacco use. And, as far as impact on Society, alcohol abuse results in aggressive behavior, car accidents and life threatening medical conditions leading to liver disease and death. Tobacco results in cancer, pulmonary disease and the like. There is very little study of long-term effects of marijuana use from a health position, as are there extremely few studies that show it causes aggressive behavior or is the major cause of car accidents. Yet, the Federal Government decades ago chose to criminalize it's use while legalizing Alcohol and Tobacco. Likely because they knew it would be impossible and costly(loss of tax dollars) to criminalize the two.

Why should marijuana use be illegal when a person chooses to use this less harmful drug than alcohol, which greatly affects the Public or Tobacco that contributes to higher health care costs of Senior Citizens?
    It makes no sense.

So, to be fair, the government should either legalize marijuana, including growing it in your garden, or criminalize the sale and use of alcohol and tobacco.

If all three were legal, I would choose marijuana over the other 2 and although I would encourage my 20 something kids to stay away from all, I would rather they used marijuana.

2. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

I agree. the worst argument against legalization is that it sends, at least superficially, a pisspoor message to youth ( who tend to be attracted to superficial arguments) and that it emboldens the 'legalize drug use crowd' past my comfort zone. I am not in favor of the libertarian argument with respect to harder drugs.

I did vote here in Oregon to legalize pot.

3. hudson1955

I too am against legalizing harder drugs and I am also for stopping prescriptions for addictive pain medications, such as Vicodin as there are other non-addictive drugs that work just as well and too many individuals become addicted to opiates and it leads them to the use of illegal drugs, much more than marijuana use.

It is obvious a large number of the population is going to continue smoking marijuana and therefore attempting to criminalize it has and will do nothing to stop its use. We have more people in prison for non-violent crimes than any other Country. And we use tax payer dollars to contract with "private prisons" which are paid on the number of prisoners they house. They have no incentive to rehabilitate or release inmates, most of which don't belong their to begin with.

4. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

I love it when springtime comes and you leave your windows open to get some fresh air and it smells like an 18 wheeler ran over a large family of skunks! Marijuana smokers are among some of the most inconsiderate people that exist! "But hey it's legal man" My only hope is that the THC levels go even higher so marijuana users end up going by way of the dodo birds!

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

It was a strange drug, used by others when it came into the public consciousness. Alcohol had been around for thousands of years in western civilisation and apart from the stupidity of the Volstead Act it was generally accepted because a lot was known about it and the public had a taste for it. The reaction to marijuana use is instructive. Ignorance on ignorance and fed by prejudice. We know a lot more about it then we did so time to re-evaluate prohibition.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't tell you the number of people intoxicated by alcohol I have had major trouble with during my police career. I can tell you the number of marijuana users that gave me a hard time when I came across them and had to take official action. Nil.

6. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

They may not be as violent or as rowdy as alcohol drinkers although that trend is changing because the THC content is so much greater than it used to be. But marijuana users are inconsiderate and rude. Their "legal" rite trumps what is civil.

7. Longshot

Longshot Well-Known Member

The idea of a "public order crime" is bogus. Until a real person steps forward and says, "this person harmed me by doing X", there is no crime, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

That's he mentality of the typical pot smoker. "It's legal man and it's not harming anybody but myself". But when pot smokers exercise their "legal" right under my living room window and fill my house with that offensive odor...They could care less! At least when it was illegal they had to do it in their house and or car where they were the only ones that had to deal with the smell.

9. Longshot

Longshot Well-Known Member

If someone is causing a smell (pot or otherwise) to come into your house, then you may very well be a victim who is being harmed by his actions. That has nothing to do with pot. It would be a cigar.

10. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

Oh yes, I agree. Smelly cleaning fluids as well. And I don't necessarily disagree with the wisdom of making marijuana legal. I don't believe that the "social" costs were considered, and also the increased THC levels in marijuana which will also present more problems (health and otherwise) than originally thought. Even though I'm more libertarian minded I believe it was passed in haste.

11. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

Legalizing marijuana is going to decrease its popularity. You will probably never see a 17-year old smoking pot behind the stadium again.

12. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

If marijuana were legal to grow, folks wouldn't be growing vast quantities in their backyards because even 1 plant could satisfy their needs until the next growing season. Yeah it smells but my neighbor's roses cause me to sneeze too. Just legalize marijuana and be done with all the crime.

13. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I haven't liked marijuana since all the hybrids came out 30-40 years ago, but I'd like to try growing some of the original cheap stuff.

14. hudson1955

Your argument is a weak one considering the same neighbor could be smoking cigs or cigars.

15. hudson1955

Legalizing marijuana may or may not decrease its popularity, but criminalizing a substance used by a large majority of the population didn't work during Prohibition and isn't working now or since it was criminalized. And as far as 17 year olds. If it is sold retail, there will be laws against selling it to minors, same as laws selling them cigarettes and alcohol. Both of which they still seem to get their hands on despite it being illegal.

As far as posts saying "pot" smokers are rude, I haven't observed or experienced this as most smoke at home and stay at home. Obviously, like tobacco, smoking in public venues will be illegal anyway. I think that objection is weak.

16. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

My argument is "weak" to you because you're probably the personality type I'm criticizing. My main point is marijuana smokers are selfish and inconsiderate. Just as many cigarette smokers can be. What is strange is the powers that are pro-marijuana are usually anti-tobacco.

17. Gimpdaddy

Gimpdaddy New Member

(ROLL EYES) Yeah even though alcohol is legal you never hear of a 17 year old sneak off to go drinking! Bad argument, try again.