60 Minutes on Women in Combat

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Lil Mike, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

There was a rather interesting 60 Minutes piece on on woman going through the Infantry courses in the Marines.

A Few Good Women

It followed a female Marine going through the Infantry Officer Course, or the assessment part of it. It's no spoiler to say she doesn't get through. For the enlisted version, they have a 34% complete rate for women, which I guess sounds like a lot but it's a pretty poor percentage to base valuable training funds and time around if the odds are against a woman getting through. Based on this, I would say female combat arms in the Marines isn't going to work, but that's only if they don't change the standards. I can't imagine that they won't change the standards at some point in the future to make sure they can get women through the course and qualified.

2. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

I did watch the 60 minutes segment about this. At one time I supported the idea of at least giving females a chance to train for a ground combat MOS with the same standards applied equally as males. I don't see it as a good idea anymore. The available data on this indicates females are more prone to injury from sustained heavy lifting and marching. This is less about push back from a "boys club" perspective, but more about the reality of the physical musculoskeletal differences between males and females.

3. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Women can serve in the services many valuable jobs and a decent number out them in harms way, enlisted or officer, but combat front line infantry is not one of them on a cost benefit consideration. No one questions their commitment or abilities to be valued armed service members but the standards are there for a reason.

4. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is something called "science" that gets in the way of progressive thought. Women only have 60% the upper body strength of men. That is a fact. That is why PT tests for women have been reduced to exactly the same measure over the decades. Suprise, suprise, suprise.

Would one want a tank or fighter plane or rifle that was 40% weaker with a breakage rate 4 times higher than the standard?

The same goes for females---NOT suitable for modern ground infanty combat.

5. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

:)

Good, women should NOT be put in harms' way to get maimed, get their arms and legs shot off, get PSTD, commit suicide, have the VA ignore their problems and maybe even get killed.....I'm all for letting men alone do this :). No one in here appreciates their service anyway...

They also shouldn't have to pay the same tax rate as men because they don't have the same opportunities the US military provides.

All women in the military should just phase out and see what happens :)

Women should not support a country that restricts their patriotism and right to bear arms.......and they'll all be better off for it.....and they can stay out of the military and take the jobs that men lose when they do military service !!! :) :roflol:

Flame away, I don't care ....the thought of the military with no women in it is my dream... :)

6. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Women qualify for well over 90% of the occupations in the military including combat, just not direct ground combat. Direct ground combat requires an element of physical strength that even most males wouldn't be able to do. .

The military needs females in the ranks, that I will defend...particularly since so many males are ineligible due to criminal backgrounds and no high school diplomas. Direct ground combat represents a small percentage of the opportunities open to females who join the services.

7. FoxHastings

Baloney.....there is too much sexist bias for women to advance as easily as men....If an entity discriminates in one way, they will discriminate all ways.....Nope, women should just concentrate on getting better jobs outside the military and taking the vacancies left by men going into the military :)

8. Lil Mike

Well if the military ever does change the PT standards for everyone to match the men's that is probably what would happen. Probably 90% of women would get kicked out. But I'm sorry that your response in this thread was pure snark; totally devoid of studies or facts that would make an engaging argument that women can handle combat arms positions, both from a physical and cost effective view.

When you zoom in firing your snark cannons at full auto, I'm guessing you don't have a counter argument. Too bad, it might have been interesting.

9. FoxHastings

What snark? I'm serious.....women should look at this as a great way to snag those job vacancies ....and stay alive and healthy....

10. Korozif

Korozif Banned

"Women with clothes are like men in kitchen" - Ferengi 4th rules of acquisition.

11. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

They are going to stick women in a group of rough young men, in a close quarter living situation, what do you think is going to happen? Then they are going to reprimand and punish the men when they just do what comes natural to them.

"Here, we're just going to put this attractive female in your midst, sweaty and wearing tight thin fabric clothing, but don't you dare come on to her, or say anything about it, or you'll get in trouble for sexual harassment"

12. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fox is correct about sexist bias as my daughter experienced it in the Marines. It does exist.

13. FoxHastings

Here's a shocker for YOU.

Rape does NOT come naturally to NORMAL men.

But I recognize your proclivity to blame women for everything.

14. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

15. FoxHastings

16. APACHERAT

Well there has been a large increase of Article 15's since this story broke. Male Marines seem to want to be sentenced to the base brig. :smile:

Back in the "Old Corps" I never heard of any females being raped on base or any female members of the military being sexualy harrassed.

In fact female members of the military had their own barracks and the barracks and immediate surrounding area was OFF LIMITS to all males and MP's made it so. This was also back when you had "red line brigs and red line stockades."

In Iraq and Afghanistan you had female REMF soldiers showing up around grunt units and dicipline and morale suffered with in the units, fist fights taking place between the grunts over the females. Then you have "combat pretty," those females who couldn't get laid back in the CONUS who now looked attractive being ten thousand miles from home and they are the ones allowing their vaginas to do the thinking.

Have you ever heard of the U.S. Army's, Camp Snoopy ? It's liberal political correctness, a perfect example of cultural marxism and social engineering at work.

17. FoxHastings

Are you trying (very weakly) to condone rape because somebody else did it?

I guess you are.

You: " Back in the "Old Corps" I never heard of any females being raped on base or any female members of the military being sexualy harrassed.""

Yup, that's what's been coming out, the fact that some women were forced to keep quiet about it for fear of reprisals....

And your typical attitude of blame the women, rapists are just normal guys...is a load of crap.

18. APACHERAT

I didn't blame women or condoned rape, you are just making (*)(*)(*)(*) up that I never said. Typical leftist tactic.

So I ask you FoxHastings when did you serve ? Were you combat arms or a pog ? Do you even remember what a "red line brig" is ? They were labeled by the left as politically incorrect back when the political left started using the military for social engineering. Come on, a couple of years ago you had the Secretary of the Navy telling sailors that the Navy's main job is no longer going to sea and fighting a war but to fight sexual harassment with in the Navy.

Women shouldn't be serving on warships or serving on the battlefield as grunts. How many female sailors are knocked up during a six month cruise on an aircraft carrier ? How many female soldiers were knocked up while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan ? What ever happened to the USS Hillary Clinton class Maternity Hospital Ships that were suppose to tag along with our Carrier Battle Groups ? :roflol:

Before liberal social engineering of our military, there was no problem.

19. Lil Mike

In the reply to me, his response had nothing to do with sex bias.

20. FoxHastings

:roflol: """""Before liberal social engineering of our military, there was no problem"""""":roflol:

Yup, men just raped at will knowing the woman couldn't talk and there would be no punishment (for the MAN) if she did complain....SHE would be punished if SHE complained (like ignorant muslims, do now).

Or do you seriously contend that there was no problem because women kept quiet?

Or there was no problem because rape didn't exist before this ??:roflol:

21. APACHERAT

Go ahead and list some of the rapes that took place before social engineering of our military. (Pre 1980 before women were being integrated into military occupations that were traditionally held by male members of the military.)

Start your witch hunt.

How many are you going to list ? One, three, a dozen, a hundred ?

Below are links after liberal social engineering of our military was already initiated.

http://cmrlink.org/content/article/34498/SEX, LIES, AND RAPE

http://www.cmrlink.org/content/home/35531/pentagon_social_policies_increase_military_sexual_assaults

22. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

They need to pee more often..... have less muscle and are shorter, but can sit for longer periods (excluding the pee breaks) because they can have better posture since they don't have to dodge the tackle by slouching.... and men are turned on by them. So I'm sure they'll find a niche to fit into... hopefully the services don't force them into stuff which is counter-productive to capability. Perhaps all Officers should be women LOL, and leave the real work to the enlisted men!!! <hides>

23. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was in the AF in the seventies when women were being introduced into various jobs. All I remember is a lot of consensual sex.

24. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

But if they do, it will?

25. Lil Mike

Well to clarify, what I meant by "work" is that they'll have women in combat arms positions; not that it will benefit the combat effectiveness of a given unit. I think the goal from the Pentagon is to get women in combat positions. How it's done doesn't matter, and whether it's a good or bad idea doesn't matter either. If women can't pass the test, they'll change the test until women make it.