Fake Gun Store used shaming tactic to convince buyers not to purchase

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Toefoot, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

2. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

3. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

What are you suing them for? Assuming they treat all 'customers' the same way and refuse to sell to all, or agree to sell to all, without discriminating against a suspect class. If they refuse to sell to anyone, they don't need a business license in the first place. Its not fraud if there is no money exchanged and no intent to defraud . Hell, there is no contract that has been breached because there isn't even a contract. Even assuming you can prove an implied contract or promise based on some advertisement they made and distributed , what possible damages are there from a 'sale' that does not get completed. I strongly doubt they put themselves in a phone book, or put up fliers they aren't going to pay rental for much longer than it takes to get the video.. This is all walk-in. It is no more illegal than Candid Camera

Pissing you off is not compensatory.

4. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

for starters, it isn't a real gun shop. False advertising. Pushing a political agenda instead of what their business advertises. And there's the old bait and switch that protects consumers from fraud.
    And this is fraud......

5. btthegreat

But there is no 'switch' or intent to switch on anyone. Fraud presupposes a profit motive. You aren't the intended consumer of a bait and switch, if there is nothing for sale. We don't even know how they advertised.

In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain. Fraud as both a civil wrong (i.e., a fraud victim may sue the fraud perpetrator to avoid the fraud and/or recover monetary compensation) and a criminal wrong (i.e., a fraud perpetrator may be prosecuted by the DA). has to have a material gain from the victim or plaintiff
    A hoax is a distinct concept that involves deception without the intention of gain or of materially damaging or depriving the victim and it is not illegal unless there is some showing of negligence, and then it requires proof of actual damages to get a judgement.

6. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

7. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Someone needs to picket outside the store and expose them to all.

8. btthegreat

Folks would be pissed. there may well be separate state statutes on impersonating a doctor, counselor or nurse, so the 'employee' has to watch out that he is not going too close to those lines in what he says..

9. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

What if it was a doctor shaming patients?

10. btthegreat

I am sure they only rented the space long enough to make their educational video. Its not like they plan to do this permanently.

11. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

That is the proper way to deal with this and much more effective than suing.

12. btthegreat

. That may cause problems with the AMA if they hear a complaint about his professional ethics involving his treatment of a patient. He can lose his real license, but it does not involve a lawsuit.

13. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

This mock store is a great idea. He's presenting facts, and nothing but facts. Reality is conflicting with the idealism of gun worshippers.

14. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Tactic is low, but it's legal.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, pro-life groups do similar things. I have no problem with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the ads for those groups say nothing about abortion, but usually are something like "Pregnant, don't know what to do" etc.

15. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

So I presume you're ok with a mock abortion clinic as well (provided it doesn't mention actual medical treatment)? Often they are called Crisis pregnancy centers.

16. btthegreat

I fI read an ad, or saw them in the phone book impostering, and I had traveled, say 5 or 10 miles, after having googled the address, only to discover I had been lied to, I would have a problem. If they do not advertise, and they are dependent on drive or walk bys, and all I am out, is the time it took to park and walk, I wouldn't. The 'pregnant and don't know what to do' is suitably vague enough that its on me if I don't call and ask specific questions about the service.

17. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

One sided facts. Care to bring in a women who shot her rapist? Grandpa who shot a mugger beating grandma? Pardy, I do not care for dishonesty.

- - - Updated - - -

I was not into the legality of it but the tactic is what caught my eye. Providing one sided facts is shameful.

18. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Nothing but facts you say? We shall see about that.

You obviously have not viewed the article or the video.

Can you identify which firearms in the included pictures are actually illegal to own or sell withing the state of New York?

19. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Advertising a product you don't actually sell to get customers to your store is fraud. Like I always say, nothing smartens people up faster than suing them. Its worked for me with a 100% success rate. Can one of you lefties pretty please come to my town and do this? Bring your checkbook!

20. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

You can sue anyone in the US for anything, including hurt feelings. This shop will be easy prey. Even if it doesn't get shut down immediately, I cant begin to realize how much money they'll have to spend defending it.....either way, they lose

21. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the clientele is gullible and uninformed enough to be targeted by these guys.
    Lanza used the Bushmaster because that's what his murdered mom had in the safe.
    One could just as easily pick up any model from the inventory, and recite a story about this gun being the one that Emily used to kill her stalker, or that Marlin .22 rifle over there - yea - that one was used by an old guy in a wheelchair to roll a hoodlum back down the basement stairs.
    Those guys must have spent around $15K just n inventory. I guess the media attention was what they actually paid for. Again, it's a shame that the audience is gullible and uneducated enough to buy their BS lines.

22. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

23. therooster

therooster Banned

Shamed! Lol bunch of morons . how can u shame a law abiding citizen from buying a legal product that is his "Right" to purchase and own. Too funny, gonna shame a guy for buying a pizza next. My word libs are morons.

24. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

pretty sick and dumb, as long as they sold the guns they advertised as for sale, they can do it, but still dumb

if they advertised the guns and would not sell them, they could be in legal trouble if someone sues them

25. btthegreat

First you'd best delineate between criminal and civil fraud. Second, we have not seen the 'advertising' yet that got people to come in. So thus far it is just a hoax, pending a showing of material gain or intent to receive for material gain. This is no different than what a 'Punked' show might do or the old Candid Camera series. Not all deceptive practices on this planet are deemed by legislation to be illegal nor are they all tort claims. Look up the legal elements you need to prove legal fraud except you aren't laughing and Allen Funt is dead.